Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

Hmm, that commit or those commits that fix WiFi have passed me by then. The plan was to release a new build when wifi was fixed.

@All, what do you think about me releasing a stable 18.06 build and an experimental master build?

1 Like

+1 pls pls pls :+1:
Could u be so nice and include ebtables (fingers crossed) ?
ebtables + kmod-ebtables + ebtables-utils, its realy not so big in size...

In /etc/sysctl.conf set:

net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables=1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables=1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=1

And reload those rules via sysctl -p

Install kmod-br-netfilter to be able to apply netfilter to bridge.

And lastly, set forward to reject for the firewall zone in which the bridge is included. That should give you client isolation without having to use ebtables.

1 Like

18.06-SNAPSHOT r6995 is running quite well here, Wifi performance seems to be way better than with 17.04.1 Stable.
I'm doing some iperf tests later on to check the actual numbers but i think a optimized build@ 18.06 would be very nice !

@Mushoz, my isolated Guest AP setup is finaly working as it should but i got it done via ebtables and vlans.
After the next flash i'll try to set the isolation via sysctl.conf and see how that goes for me...
For now i can finaly enjoy my DIR-860L. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely interested in 18.06!

If you want to play around with 18.06, you can simply download the latest snapshot and install the required packages manually. It's maybe less convenient than getting all this functionality from Bart's build out of the box, but it is definitely a nice stop-gap for now if you insist on running 18.06 :slight_smile: Luci is included in 18.06, so it is really easy to setup.

I've just realised that the DIR-860L has 4 active cores ??!
I guess 2 are like virtual ones... ?

htop_dir860l

Yes, it's two cores with a similar technique like hyperthreading on Intel processors. Two threads per core.

New build from the master branch is cooking at the moment :slight_smile:

I have no succes with 2.4G wifi on r7105-7590c3c58f: it swiches on but it doesn't always show up in the air.

Edit:
Looks like I got some mt76x2e: 0000:02:00.0: MCU message 30 (seq 11) timed out

I also have some problems with 18.06 (r6995-ba204d9 here)...
Wifi is working fine but after some time i loose complete access to it (my clients cant find it anymore [2.4+5ghz]) and also the Luci/SSH access isn't working anymore, even with my wired clients.
Only a reboot will fix it...

Hopefully this can be sorted out as i'm using my DIR-860L as a smart switch + Wifi AP and it has to be stable...

18.06 seems a bit hit or miss right now. Definitely not ready for a release in its current state. I'd advise you to either use 17.01.4, or if that's too old and you require stuff like VLANs without bugs, then you can also run a 17.01 snapshot. The 17.01 branch is very stable and with all the newest commits that went in after 17.01.4, many things have improved.

Link: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/17.01-SNAPSHOT/targets/

I do need ebtables, vlans and stabile wifi and ofc a stabile Router in general.
And https Luci/Luci-ssl + Material Theme would be nice :wink:

That should all work just fine in the 17.01 snapshots :slight_smile: don't go with 17.01.4, since VLANs are buggy on mt7621 and require workarounds to work properly. Hopefully a 17.01.5 release will follow soon as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'll try the lastest 17.01 snapshot later on, hopefully that will fix my problems...

That's odd, my build r7105 has been running fine so far. Nothing in my kernel log nor system log.
@Kherby, this is still without ebtables but of course I can bake them in :wink:

1 Like

@Bartvz, Sounds good ! I'd love to give your build another try :slight_smile:
If i'm able to install ebtables via software there is no need to include it from the beginning but ofc it would be nice to have it out of the box...

Not sure why the 18.06 build wasn't running stable for me, as i haven't set up anything extra special.
I've only installed ebtables, luci-ssl-openssl and luci-theme-material, deleted WAN+WAN6, set up the WAN port as a normal LAN port for the uplink to my main router, set up FW zone for my Guest + vlans + custom ebtable rule for isolation.
All was running fine but as i said after some time (8-24hours) i couldn't access the GUI anymore and my clients couldn't find the WIFI... even wired access didn't worked anymore.

It might be related to my setup but i dont think so cause the same setup is running on my WRT3200acm 24/7 without any problems !
Right now i'm using the latest 17.01 snapshot with my setup and no problems so far but uptime is only ~1hour so i have to look tomorrow to confirm if it's stable or not...

edit: Uptime with the latest 17.01 Snapshot (r3909) is 23h 28m already, looks promising....

I'm testing 18.06 and I can confirm the problem with the 2.4 GHz network.
iPad and Galaxy Tab A6 after some time remain connected but without internet and can not reach the other devices, the only solution is reboot router.
The huawei devices instead remain connected without problems, what can I do to find the problem and report it to @nbd?
In system log there is only disconnected due to excessive missing ACKs.

To try to replicate the issue, I have connected all my devices to the 2.4 GHz network but so far it has not died on any device. Among those devices is a Macbook Air, which is my main machine since my old "trusted" Acer died on me.
If I remember correctly the weirdness with Apple devices is not just limited to our router/chipset but has to do with how the Big A does WiFi :confused:
Have you tried setting "disassoc_low_ack" boolean in the wifi-iface section of your wireless config?

config wifi-iface "something"
     option disassoc_low_ack 0
1 Like

Uptime with the latest 17.01 Snapshot is now at 1d 18h with lot of wifi traffic with different 2,4+5ghz devices !!
Haven't tested the general performance with iperf but atm i'm very happy with my Dir-860L, i guess that i would defently used it as a main router but i think that my WRT3200acm outperforms it a bit in termns of VPN throughput (my internet connection is 100/40mbps).
And i plan on still using it as a Wifi AP when my Cisco SG300-10PP switch arrives the next days.
As a smart switch + wifi AP it's a very nice lil device, and i really like the look of it ! :slight_smile:

@Bartvz: My second DIR-860L B1 device arrived today (got it very cheap on ebay, ~18eur), i can't wait to test your 18.06 build !