Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

The weird thing is, RC2 does not have these slowdowns for me, neither does my build. The WiFi seems very finicky regarding which devices you connect to it.
Regarding your router not saving settings, can you provide a partition list of your router?
I am on vacation but I'll try to look to read up as much as possible.

@Bartvz
In my case I haven't noticed any slowdowns with the latest build but tomorrow im going to test a few android clients + iPhone 6. (S7, Galaxy Tab A, Galaxy A5-2017, iPhone 6)

Btw Openwrt 18.06.0 final is out! I am going to test it this weekend.

From the release notes:

Devices using the mt76 wireless driver may experience stability issues on 2.4GHz

Sad news....

Screenshot_Firefox_Beta_20180803-004706

My results with 18.06.0 final and Xiaomi Redmi note 4x (mido) on 5g wireless with lineageos 15.1 custom rom.

Fiber connection 100/100.
With my Linux laptop, connected by ethernet the results are 92mbit download, 99.7mbit upload.

Now I'll test for the stability on 5g...

So. It seems, my DIR860L was faulty, as I could not even write a firmware to it using recovery. After a succesful write, it wouldn't boot. So I took it back to the retailer and got a new one.

After flashing the latest optimised build on it, I made some tests:

2.5Ghz: https://pastebin.com/smADmtTt

5Ghz: https://pastebin.com/b60i0mpb

Drops on 5Ghz are still there. The 2.5Ghz is stable.

5MB/sec doesnt seem stable to me, its a damn 45Mbps on a 450Mbps Router it looks really bad! 2.4GHz driver is still buggy! which firmware you tested them on? 18.06.0 or the optimized from this forum?

I believe you expect too much, I get 70+Mbps through a wall but 45 is ok as well, it all depends on too much things. You have to use channel bonding, multiple antennas etc for higher speeds (not laptop wifi or mobile phone)

I never said that it's fast. It's stable compared to the 5G.

It's the r7540 build from this forum. As my leave from work ended yesterday, I have no time to test multiple FWs, so I'll remain on this one until an update.

if i am using it as main Router its not much, 45 Mbps are lower even from my internet connection, i have tried it and seems that the driver is buggy (the good is that here with the optimized version 5Ghz is way better than openwrt main, thats why i am using it), i also have the 868l which is way better on 2.4Ghz i easily get +250mbps at a distance of 200m away (with external antenna), so 45Mbps at 4m cannot be considered "stable", my opinion!

Are you too getting 45Mbps ? I'm getting more without even trying to optimize channels and the other options (everything I care is wired, the rest is mobile phones over 5Ghz) ?

Anyway since in the release notes it is mentioned that 2.4 isn't ok i expect that it will be fixed soon.

hope so, because the router has good CPU and its wasted with those annoying bugs!

@All, a new build, r7682, is available in the OP. This might be my final build since I have sold my DIR-860L due to moving house. However, I might buy a Xiaomi MIR3(G) so I can continue producing builds. However, those will be untested on "real" hardware. What do you guys think? Of course, somebody else can take up the gauntlet and produce builds using my config since I always provide a config.seed for every build I release.

1 Like

Thanks for your hard work, hopefully someone will carry on the effort.

Also hopefully at some point 18.x will be stable and feature rich enough for our chipset so custom builds won't be required.

Could you please put the checksums as well?

Forgot to upload the checksums file. It is there now. Thanks for reporting.
There is also the possibility to use the closed source drivers from the mtk-openwrt-feed. Could not get them to work but I also did not have the time at the time to get them to work.

1 Like

I never understood what are those drivers, is he working with MTK or something, or just some reverse engineered experiment.

He works at Mediatek and provides a way to use the closed source mtk drivers in OpenWRT. Kinda cool imho!

1 Like

selling mine too, good hardware but no support at all, only your builds kept it alive, if you wont continue no reason for me to keep it too, 18.06.1 is as bad as olders, no 2.4Ghz and limited 5Ghz to only 20dbm, its too much for me to keep it. I am Going to buy a new one with better openwrt support., thinking to buy an Linksys EA-8500,powerfull with good support! Dir 860L is juseless to be kept with the ancient factory firmware (3years old) !

I've bought 2 Xiaomi MIR3G so I will continue producing builds. I can still release DIR-860L builds if people want them but they will be not tested on it. Also, there are always the buildbot builds, which are fine for 99% of people. From what I have read the 20 dBm thing is purely cosmetic. Your antennae could be the problem. Fun weekend project, messing around with those.

When time permits me to do so I have the following plans:

Always open to new suggestions/ideas

1 Like