Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

Thus there is a new build in the OP :wink:
And, yes, next to flow offload also very good work being done for us mt7621 users :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is an updated mt76 driver so there is a new build in the op, enjoy!

2 Likes

Just to clear up some confusion. According to @nbd, hw flow offload (which is enabled on this build in /etc/config/firewall) is not compatible with SQM. I would suggest turning off any SQM/QoS now.

My DSLReports speedtest with Sqm turned off, and hw flow offload on:

To be honest it is not completely clear to me, but if hw flow offload skips certain parts of the linux network stack then it will not cooperate with SQM QoS. However, I was under the impression that it does not skip the qdisc and therefore SQM QoS still works. Please correct me if I am wrong.

@All, new build in the OP. The goodies keep coming for our device!

@Bartvz
I found this: Hardware NAT For LEDE

@craz @Bartvz

Here @nbd states that HW offload does not work with SQM: Hardware NAT For LEDE

OK, I misunderstood, I thought it does not work only when hardware offloading is active.

That is correct. When HW NAT is not active/enabled, SQM works fine. What is the confusion about exactly?

just created an account to say thanks for your wonderful firmware. turned my POS 860L B1 into a great device. many thanks!

Just a question: I am filtering 22 hostnames (they are Sony servers, I have to filter them in order to avoid accidental upgrades of my Playstation or unwanted connections to PSN) editing the file dnsmasq.conf.

Could I filter the 22 domains with the Adblock included on Bartvz's builds?(I don't like to filter the ads at router level so I would use Adblock only for that 22 lines).
What is the most clean and cpu-saver solution between to filter throw dnsmasq.conf or Adblock?

The big plus of Adblock is that I would activate/deactivate the filtering through Luci interface...
Many thanks for your answer!

well adblock seems to be using dnsmasq, so it will be the same and i guess this is the best way to do it

Capture

1 Like

The confusion is about flow offload not bypassing the qdisc but hw flow offloading bypassing the qdisc. So SQM QoS works with flow offloading but not with hw flow offloading. What I would love to see is some knobs to control hw flow offload. Maybe they are there already but I have not looked through the code thoroughly. Also, maybe we could use the "oldskool" QoS to do shaping/prioritization in combination with hw offload. Hmm, some stuff to tinker around with.

Thank you for your kind words. I am just sharing what I use :wink:

You could use adblock/dnsmasq but I would use an ipset since it is in my knowledge the most efficient way to block (a larger) list of IP's: https://linux-audit.com/blocking-ip-addresses-in-linux-with-iptables/

2 Likes

@All: Fresh new build in the OP, enjoy!

2 Likes

@Bartvz
Thanks for your builds, do you have problems with 2.4GHz clients?
After a few days of uptime wifi becomes very slow and I have to restart the router.

Im on the latest build, currently "Uptime 12d 22h 10m 20s". I have not noticed any problems. About 5-6 tablets and 5-6 phones and a few computers connected constantly. Also handles the 5 or so wired connections just fine.

Cheers,
J

1 Like

I, personally, don't have those problems but clients come and go on the 2.4 GHz network. Also, I reboot my router quite a lot so I might not run into them. Try the latest build (latest mt76 driver) to see if that fixes your problems. Quite a lot of bugs are being squashed lately!

@All, OP updated with a new build!

2 Likes

Using the latest build, I am having some Wi-Fi connection drops with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
r6795 was a lot more stable than the latest for me.

I too am having more issues with the newest build...LuCI running slower, WiFi devices seem to be slow at loading websites, etc.

I'm only using this router as an AP at this point.

Are you both using either flow offload or flow offload + hw flow offload?

I'm using hw flow offload, but as it is an AP, no Wan connection anyway