Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

Not really,

wrt1900acv1
nonat + cake max out at 567 Mbps, nonat + fq_codel simplest.qos max out at 561 Mbps, fq_codel.qos simple max out at 460.

the v2 version / wrt1900acs / wrt1200ac use a different series of processor altogether and those might be a bit better. Otherwise, dir860b1 in general is on par with wrt1900acv1. This is surprising considering mt7621at is mips @ 880 Mhz vs armv7 @ 1.2 Ghz

I see. I think shortcut fe may actually come in useful for wireless throughput because it may reduce cpu load which free up more resources for wireless. I've seen the sirq shooting way up from 100 Mbps+ wireless activity.

If I got time tonight maybe I should test the wireless throughput on 5ghz with sqm enabled on lan virtual interface.

Could you please post your /etc/config/wireless that you’ve got such results with. Is it on lede mt76 driver?

with latest build i am getting same results, 30-35MB/sec and signal reduced to just 8mA, laptop with 866MBps adapter @ -50db get about 650Mbps and mobile with 433Mbps @-52 get a full 433Mbps, throughout is stable around 30-34MB/s i believe it could be better because i am getting it even when signal is low and transfer rate falls to 433 on laptop! the only serious issue i have now is the 2.4Ghz which drops after 1-2 mins.

@labrok could you please post your /etc/config/wireless ?

sure
root@LEDE:~# vi /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
option htmode 'VHT80'
option country 'GR'
option distance '20'
option channel '44'
option txpower '8'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'KostandinosNet5G'
option encryption 'psk-mixed'
option key 'xxxxxx`'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
option type 'mac80211'
option channel '11'
option hwmode '11g'

• /etc/config/wireless 1/34 2%

By the way i have noticed on channel 44 throuhout is better than 36, maybe its my idea but i checked it twice na d got better results!

here shows my phone on idle, speeds are accurate checked with ftp server on phone and transfer was the same as laptop about 30MB/s.

Thanks! Could you test what’s your throughput if you set txpower to auto?

Here take

Thanks again, seems my throughput issue is caused by smth different

probably your adapter is not compatible or just your drivers out of date, have you checked them? both my adapters work fine with the new FW, my xiaomi mi5 works @ full 433 and my asus rog gl553vw with intel AC 7265 works @ 650-866, havent tried something else , but this specific build is as good as the factory in AC 5Ghz, but i still waiting for answer from developer if he has fixed the 2.4Ghz issue!!!

Probably, or maybe smth in eeprom, I’m on different device with the same chipset

Strange, with VPN (OpenVPN) wrt1x00ac series is very more fast and stable that mine dir-860l b1

Hi labrok

thanks for pointing out that a more recent snapshot helps on the lagging 860L wifi.
(I have not tried the custom build of this thread so far)

I've applied 2017-08-26 snapshot and made some tests.

So far I ran "WiFiPerf Endpoint" on an ipad air 2 (iperf3 listener on it which is said to have 2 MIMO antennas) and ran the following against it from my PC: .\iperf3 -c 192.168.1.182 -t 600 -P 4

Wifi 5 GHz - performance now pretty stable at 400-433MBits/sec when right next to the 860L.
(LEDE reports it as connected with 585MBit VHT-MCS 7 with -58 dBm)
But thats a very sensitive transfer rate, minimum solid obstacles in between quickly take it down to 200-300MBit.

Before that I rarely reached a max of ~120MBit and often only 40-60 Mbit/sec and sometimes stalls or timeouts. So I am quite happy now (crossing fingers). Unfortunately I did not document my tests before the snapshot patch.

Wifi 5 GHz - performance is further noticably more stable at constant ~100MBits/sec when standing at the far end of my living room with the ipad.

(I think my TV has AC WiFi has well, but I don't see an app on it, to run iperf. I just had lags on network DLNA playbacks before. Might take some days to keep an eye on that, if it still happens. Often it would start fine and after ~20 minutes with 17.01.2 it would become unwatchable due to permanent buffering. But I did not try to monitor RAM or resources on LEDE in parallel)

Since you noted issues with 2.4 Wifi, i did another test:
With 2 parallel threads of iperf3, i get 105-110MBits flat out
PC --LAN--> 860L --2.4G--> same ipad air 2
when standing next to the 860L (LEDE reports it as connected with 144.4Mbit MCS 15 with -38dBm.
I ran it for 10min and there were no dropouts, the transfer rate was stable.

(2.4 Wifi was on channel 11. I think 5 Ghz had channel 52 during the tests)

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
option country 'DE'
option htmode 'VHT80'
option channel 'auto'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'

Going to try 2.4Ghz, but the issue for me is when i connect a cpe210 (long range AP) as client dir-860l it works fine for about 1-3 minutes andf then tx-rate falls to 1 and disconnecting, then dir860l needs reboot from button to work again!

i forgot: same effect on channel 36, has less throughput: 200-240 Mbit/s. but I think 36 is used pretty commonly on stock routers.
i tried a scan on Luci for other networks in the area, but that takes forever, no result so far.

1 Like

Have you tried ruling out that the long range ap is the issue? Sometimes wireless chip sets don't play nice with each other. Other then that, do you see references to the long range ap in the system log?

Try installing a wifi scanner app on your phone to see which bands are crowded and which ones are not. Also AC is way more sensitive to stuff like router placement (preferably as central and as high as possible), type of material used in your hose (it really doesn't like concrete), etc, etc.

@All, new build up for your testing pleasures. It has been humming along quite nicely for the last two days on my router.

with stock firmware 2.4Ghz is stable, tried with cpe210 and tl-wa7210N both woirking perfect, but when we go to lede ,it start bugging, anyway, 5Ghz band works fine atm, just a new bug is that we cannot use usb Storage, kernel is not compatible with the packages.

Which build of LEDE are you testing? Is there anything in the logs?
It can be the case that certain packages cannot be installed because the buildbot is building LEDE packages for a newer kernel version. You can try force installing packages though.

New build is building atm mostly for this commit: https://github.com/lede-project/source/commit/6aa46bf05e056444490b4978c53bf6fb183fb0e3