Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices

Interesting news: It looks like they merged DSA (dynamic switch architecture) so VLANs (one of the most important features for me) is now merged into official OpenWRT for most IPQ40xx devices!

This may make it easier to come up with/maintain builds.

Although make sure to look at this commit for some devices that have it disabled, apparently those aren't supported anymore. I would probably stick with this build for now if you have those devices.

For instance EA6350v3 will now have future official builds but others like google wifi have builds disabled.

I wish you all the best with your move @NoTengoBattery and hope for stable living conditions/that energy prices drop soon!

2 Likes

The DSA patches from rob marco are now in master I have updated my targets fork in a test repo if they test sucessfully ill try a pull request upstream to include my target and see if it gets accepted then it can cleanly get implemented by NoTengoBattery.

Are you having problems with wifi in my fork?

I can update my prebuilt image that should fix any isues of past if you wish?.

They merely have not been ported (yet). In theory they can all be supported but someone needs to port and test them to be sure.

1 Like

I haven't tested your compilation, if you can send it to me at andredpe1@gmail.com I would be very grateful. would ?

Hello,

After some test with oem firmware and openwrt firmware, seems performance in openwrt is better than the oem on the mr9000. I've configured the 2 nodes with WDS with the 3rd 5G band as dedicated backhaul, and sync speed is over 1,1Gb (one in floor 0 and other in floor 1), but if I make a speed test with iperf connected to the ethernet port (server is connected on the other MR9000 with cable), speed is over 320Mb, it's fine or it will be at least half speed (500Mb)? MR900 have 4 dedicated antenas for the 3rd band, may be it's only using 2 antenas?

Some advice if it's best WDS or Mesh for 2 nodes?

Regards

1 Like

Awesome work. But I have an issue. I flashed your 3.0.1 build on EA6350 V3, everything works fine but whenever I restart the router it reset the settings. How to retain settings even after restart?

FYI there are later builds available than 3.0.1 (although not linked in the original post). You will see builds for 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 if you navigate the download file system (link) might be worth trying 3.0.3, this is what I use for my EA6350v3 and have no issues with settings persistence.

1 Like

Yes I already updated to 3.0.3 after my last comment. But it's the same issue on it. It doesn't reset if I don't have many packages installed.

When I install:
Aria2
Samba4
ntfs-3g

These packages, It leaves around 25mb overlay space free. And then when I restart the router it resets to default settings removing everything. Can you try installing these packages and see if it does to yours? If you don't already have a lot of packages installed. How much overlay space left on yours?

I Fixed it!

It had nothing to do with the firmware, it was an outdated script from Openwrt guide:

The automount script is the culprit. It removes Mount point of /Overlay, so when you reboot the router it doesn't mount overlay. That's why the router goes back to factory settings. That stupid script cost me 10 hours and 3 days of troubleshooting just to find out it wasn't the firmware.

What I did now? I installed NTFS-3G, and put:
ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb-ntfs -o rw,big_writes
In System/Startup. Now when I reboot, it mounts overlay as well as my HDD automatically. It's perfect now!

1 Like

I just got this router and I was wondering if the dual partitions split the available memory?

I installed the official OpenWrt firmware and added the usb packages for this router and the available memory shown in Software is down to 7.9MiB.

Seems really low/wrong for a 128/256 set up.

I'm really glad I found this thread! Looks promising; I'm going to try it out!

that doesn't sound right - for reference here is my memory and storage stats. A standard EA6350v3 install + wireguard

root@Civic:~# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         242464       92400      110836         328       39228       96496
Swap:        480076           0      480076

root@Civic:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                10944     10944         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   121232       328    120904   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi15_0             38532       304     36228   1% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       38532       304     36228   1% /
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev
/dev/ubi0_1              19264       696     17552   4% /bootfs

Are you open to sharing the URL for your forked repository (with the DSA patches)?

1 Like

My repo is just upstream master with patches for the wallystech DR40xx.

It includes the DSA patches that are now in upstream master, previously it was not merged it happened a few weeks ago.

So unless you are building a DR4029 you can use master.

1 Like

Hi again @NoTengoBattery,
Probably don't remember but I was asking some questions near the start of this thread. I am running two ea6350v3 devices at home that I bought specifically after seeing your firmware, they have been running an early version of your firmware for almost 2 years now, and they have been rock solid. So thank you for your fantastic work and dedication!

I am not sure what version of your releases my current devices are running, they report as NoTengoBattery v0.30.oc a2a22f and are running 4.19.91 kernel. Anyway since I run them as wifi to ethernet bridges under my TV (to serve internet via ethernet to 4 devices) and in my office (connected to a switch and serving internet via ethernet to many devices) I have not seen any great reason to upgrade them (no great secrurity concern and I'd have to reconfigure them). However, now that the latest versions can pull security updates I think I will make the effort.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting a third one to run in parallel to my main home router, so that I can run ad blocking and so on, and now I have to consider if I should get newer hardware than the ea6350v3. What is the most powerful and fastest router supported by this firmware now? The ea8300 and mr8300 devices seem to be very good and also well supported, but I see a lot of other routers mentioned here too.

Hi,

Knowing that its rude to ask eta's. Is there maybe coming still updates on MR-9000?

@NoTengoBattery How would you add the schedutil governor on a MR8300 22.03.0 vanilla OpenWrt release?

scaling_available_governors only shows ondemand and performance

Hi @NoTengoBattery
Is https://downloads.notengobattery.com/ down or just temporary unavailable?

It has been down for at least a week as far as I can tell. Hopefully notengobattery can get it back up in due time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do these build support the thermal sensors on the radios?

Does anyone have (or is aware of) a mirror of NoTengoBattery's package repo?
I cannot "opkg update" nor install a single package. :cry: (I would need the kmod-macvlan pkg).
Is there a workaround?