Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices

The solution you provided works well for EA6500v3 as expected, but does it also work for linksys 1900ACS and if not, why?

The Linksys 1900 ACS is a Marvell Armada SoC that is a completely different target than the IPQ40xx devices.

I think you need to install ip-full.

@pingec please check the downloads server. I uploaded a build for your device. Let me know how it goes.

and no ip-tiny or ip-full? :wink: (edit: ok no iw-full)
I tested it... and best settings for me are (new scripts /etc/hotplug.d/iface/98-tuneroute)

#!/bin/sh

defrta=`ip route | grep "default" | head -1`
ip route change $defrta ssthresh 25 initcwnd 32 cwnd 25 initrwnd 39 quickack 1 fastopen_no_cookie 1
# defrtb=`ip route | grep "wwan0" | grep -v "default" | head -1`
# ip route change $defrtb ssthresh 25 initcwnd 32 cwnd 25 initrwnd 39 quickack 1 fastopen_no_cookie 1
# defrtc=`ip route | grep "br-lan" | head -1`
# ip route change $defrtc ssthresh 25 initcwnd 32 cwnd 25 initrwnd 39 quickack 1 fastopen_no_cookie 1

initcwnd and initrwnd are different on purpose, other options by tests are inconclusive

Question:
For further tests. Is it possible to experiment with the ring buffer size for increase speed of data transfer (on wireless)? Can I change it other somehow to ea6350?

root@Civic:~# ethtool -g wlan0                                                  
Ring parameters for wlan0:
Pre-set maximums:
RX:             0
RX Mini:        0
RX Jumbo:       0
TX:             0
Current hardware settings:
root@Civic:~# ethtool -g eth0
Ring parameters for eth0:
Pre-set maximums:
RX:             128
TX:             128
Current hardware settings:
root@Civic:~# ethtool -G eth0 rx 256
Cannot set device ring parameters: Not supported
root@Civic:~# ethtool -G wlan0 rx 256
Cannot set device ring parameters: Invalid argument

EDIT:
Bug or feature (sources of opkg)? :slight_smile:

Downloading https://downloads.notengobattery.com/projects/openwrt-v3.0.1/targets/ipq40xx/generic/packages/Packages.sig
Signature check failed.
Remove wrong Signature file.

Yep, totally a bug. Fixed!

Hi,

I'm using an Aruba AP303H (https://openwrt.org/toh/aruba/ap-303h)

This is also using the IPQ40XX , and the default image the vlans don't work. Could you also create an image for the aruba-303H?

Ring parameters (change in ethtool) not work, but not work it in NoTengoBattery images (2.10, 3, 3.0.1), snapshots of 20.02.2022, Openwrt by Cezary (on 19.07 and 21.02 based), on Linksys EA6350v3 and TPlink wr1043ndv3...
Either the right packages are missing, or can't do it in OpenWrt.

But by playing with snapshot image and option of fragmentation, treshold rts and ondemand of scaling governor settings, I gained even higher and more stable wireless connection (on 10 meters in test environment), i.e. not about 18-20Mbps but already 20-24Mbps connections to LTE Internet.

@NoTengoBattery @kastellsc @diego123

Sorry for the delay. Today I flashed Zyxel NBG6617 with the NoTengoBattery image that he kindly prepared for this device. Everything seems to simply just work at first glance... magical. Wifi works, internet works, I will see how it does in the following days (sqm, adblock, vlans). Is there anything specific that I can test / provide from my device?

Yes one thing, can you get stable 5Ghz wifi on the DFS channels? It's weird I can only use ch 36 and one of the higher up limited to 10dBm... All others are working only when the weather is right :slight_smile:

You are right. At 20 mhz channel width only channels 36 - 48 seem to work, for all other channels I get "Wireless not associated" and I don't see much in the log.

Actually often it helped forcing wifi up on the comsole or a reboot but it is erratic and unpredictable. so in my regdom only 2 usable 80MHz channels: 36 and up @23dBm, as well as something around 140 or so @10dBm max. allowed power.

All other is unusable unfortunately.

With the stock FW no such issues, so for now im running vanilla openwrt on one on ch13 and 36 and a stock nbg6617 as dumb AP on dome other channels, as 13 doesn't work with intel wifi adapters and 36 is very popular over here...

Hi,
try setting the option as in the link it supposedly helps a little on disconnection.

As for my tests I'm struggling to increase speed in 2.4Ghz - I don't want to modify Minstrel_HT algorithm (rate control module for wifi), and it may help to squeeze out even 10-15% more (Minstrel-Blues modification- although this modification is quite old). I'd rather let go of such experiments- currently it's about 80% of what I can get over cable (i.e. 30-35 with 40-45Mbps of LTE Internet).

Hi, first of all thanks for all your work. It's much appreciated!
On a Linksys ea830 with 3.0.1, kmod-wireguard and related crypto appear to have been built against an earlier kernel and so wont install for me.

Actually it's not that I'm facing disconnects, but rather that the wifi goes down/doesn't even come up. So the AP is not beaconing as it seems.

@kroon040 alright, I will add this one to my list!
@uniqe13 I think that the ethernet driver for the IPQ40xx does not support many of those features shown in ethtool

And all of you are right! The software can't install because it has a kernel version mismatch. I will re-upload those files as soon as I catch a free time! But anyways, we already have a new version so... I think I can do both at the same time.

@NoTengoBattery Great, Let me know as there is a build to test

@uniqe13 would you be able to post the calibration file. I could not able to generate this.
I would like to try and see if this improves the stability of 2.4 GHz WiFi. Do you also use -ct firmware?

File board calibration for ea6350v3 with DK06... 2G+5G settings is here

Firmware of wifi non -ct version.
Kmod-ath10k but may be -ct version also.

How is it installed since the wifi in the 2.4 band is very unstable in my ea 6350 V3?

Grateful with this calibration, would the problems of the Wi-Fi 2.4 network be solved?

This calibration solves the coverage problem, the speed in 2.4G is better but there are still problems.

Copy file board-2.bin to locate /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA4019/hw1.0 in router.

This calibration works fairly well for me, but there are others you can try that may work better.

Edit: For better performance in 2.4G install non -ct firmware.