Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices

53 days uptime and zero problems, even with tiny size 128MB ram

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Caught a dozen of random reboots in recent few days (like 3-4 per day) on this optimized build, got me out of limits of my patience :slight_smile: Just installed the latest snapshot release now, will see how it goes.

Running the latest optimized version v2.10 without any problem, very stable on the linksys ea 6350 V3

Hi, I updated from 2.04 to 2.10, it boots but something was wrong with the config, I can't connect to web interface neither to ssh... so I tried to boot to the second partition, off/on wait 10s 3 times... but doesn't work neither... I also tried to reset the config, keep the reset press 10s, a few times I managed to get the civic wifi, but I missed the opportunity to connect and the router reboots... looks like it is in a boot loop, I also tried connected with eth, and a static IP, it pings the 192.168.1.1, like 10 times when boot, then I loose it... I'm out of ideas about how to get this up and running, even with vanilla settings...
Any help is welcome...

ok, I finally accessed on failsafe mode, but even removing the settings with firstboot or jffs2reset didn't work, the router restart but doesn't work, or I can't access it...

After a lot of trial and error, the error was fixed after flashing last version of openwrt (not this build), reseting the setting on that build, flashing this build (2.10), and restore backup... now everything is working, the same as it was on 2.04
so I think that the problem is the default settings that this build where setting when I reset...

Hello, people from the OpenWrt forum. It's been a long run these last months. However, I am here to say... I'm back! Yes, I didn't forget about it—the first release candidate for OpenWrt 21.02 brought me back to life!

I was waiting for 20.04 (that never appeared) because these modifications need a Linux 5.4 (or later) kernel. Now, I'm preparing to maintain a fully stable release based on the stable 21.002 and subsequent updates.

There is some other news. I will start merging my patches to the 20.02-rc1 tag and release my "release candidates" as well. When they release the official version, I'll relaunch my version to my website (so, I will redirect the traffic there, no more GitHub releases when finally launching 20.02)

I opened the notifications again from this thread if anybody wants to reach me. I am also available at software@notengobattery.com, in GitHub, and the PMs here in the forum. Please, take care during these tough times and thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

The code will be majorly refactored and I'll use the (way) sane new OpenWrt configuration instead, so I won't intrude into the user's preferences and I'll make the upgrades to preserve the settings as a proper stable release.

7 Likes

Welcome back! Waiting for it!

1 Like

How is going?

It's going fine. It's taking a while because, thankfully, I do have a full-time job right now, and also I'm taking care of doing things right this time. See, in the past, I monkey-patched all of this because I never thought someone else would be using it other than me.

But now, I'll make this code high-quality, as deserved. For anyone interested, follow its development here:

Take care and stay tuned! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello! I am glad to announce that the new version is already available for download. Please check the post #1 for more information and download links. Any issue you may find, suggestion or request, do not hesitate to contact me via the forum's PM or otherwise in GitHub or directly to my developer email.

3 Likes

Good morning thanks for this great contribution, the first problem does not allow updating the administrator password.

Any suggestions ??

Oh thanks, I've faced that before. I think somehow all the shadow-utils tools are installed. What you can do is go to the package manager and uninstall shadow-passwd. Thanks for spotting the issue.

1 Like

Excellent solved, another question I have noticed that updates appear and with the previous version no, is it advisable to install them ???

I successfully updated mine, but your mileage may vary. I recommend trying (mostly to get the latest security fixes) and letting us know your results.

Consider that it may break your device, so be prepared for disaster. But as I told you before, in my case, it did work.

My testing capacity is limited (I'm not that much into QA), that's why I'm very grateful to hear about issues found in a setup different than mine.

1 Like

I don't really have much experience, I'm a novice, and if my device dies I wouldn't know how to solve it, if updating can be risky, I'd rather not do it.

I'm not saying is risky. I'm saying you should be prepared. Updating software is always risky, even with companies with big engineering teams such as Microsoft. How often do Windows updates break stuff?

But I agree, unless you can recover from failure, stick to the working plan. A big exception is a severe security issue but that's generally discussed and carried out on it's own.

Keep us informed about any other finding and remember that this is a release candidate. That means that both the OpenWrt developers and I, we are releasing this software to find production issues and edge cases.

When will the final version be available? It depends on how the OpenWrt devs plan it.

1 Like

Good evening greeting from Venezuela, I have not had any more problems with the new version, everything works perfectly :sunglasses:

1 Like

Is anybody experiencing random reboot this time?

Good afternoon so far no problem, I have not had random reboots, I have never really had them even in the previous versions, I have the Linksys Ea6350 V3 :grinning: