Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices

I found it easier to log into the router via SSH as the root user and edit the config, but I'm sure there's a way to do it through LuCI. You can edit /etc/config/network. For me I added option ipv6 '0' (with a tab) below config interface 'wan'.

You may have other wan networks such as wwan if you're using your router as a repeater or range extender. Under LuCI's Network > Interfaces, if you see any others that don't have any errors, add that same option ipv6 '0' with a tab below each config interface '<interface name>'. (Opkg update error (wget returned 4) - #8 by komawoyo)

For me, under LuCI's Network > Interfaces, the only other wan is wan6 and it shows the error Error: Network device is not present so I decided not to mess with that.

After I found all the wan interfaces and added those, I ran /etc/init.d/network reload. That helped make opkg work better for me but it might work for your issue with wget. (Opkg update error (wget returned 4) - #9 by helpme555)

1 Like

@shimon as far as I know, they are enabled and available.

@mTek I do not have calibration info for this particular device, therefore, I can't help with that. Those calibrations are inside the OEM firmware, maybe someone can download and unpack an original firmware, and then we can benchmark them.

Sorry for the delay and the absence. I've been very busy these weeks, since we just started a new project and you know how it is: lifting a project from scratch takes quite some effort. I will be posting back with updates. I will review the reboot issue as well as release the new build based on the latest release. That should fix opkg crying about the packages' certificate.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. I will be adding the target for the next public release I'll make. After that, I will be sharing non-public builds with you to enable DSA for your target, and hopefully enable it for more target as well in the future.

No worries I have dsa working in my build currently I just don't know much about zlib stuff you have working.

@NoTengoBattery , is im only one having this problem right now? (tried re-download stock firmware on linksys website still remain problem).
tested firmware 3.0 RC3, RC4 & Stable. still exist problem. because my 2nd partition stock linksys are replaced by old Rc3. thanks.
image_2021-12-17_062538

Oh yeah, you may need to install said tools. Particularly coreutils-stat and coreutils-cksum. Other packages may be missing as well.

1 Like

Looks like ipq40xx DSA support is being finalized
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4721#issuecomment-1001594745
Even has examples for 4 of the supported boards so far.

1 Like

@NoTengoBattery sorry for noob question. how to resolve this? or just i need to wait for stable version?

image_2021-12-30_032330

Kernel modules are only compatible with the exact kernel they've been built against, if you need additional modules not provided by the flashed image (or provided in a custom package repository for that very build), you will have to rebuild your own custom image from source and enable the feature set you're looking for in its build configuration.

1 Like

Hi all,
I got some problem with ea8300 low download speed, Is there a release worth trying?
Regards.

Considering the amount of information in your question, I guess any release or snapshot is worth trying...

1 Like

Sorry for not providing enough info. I'm on the latest openwrt snapshot, but the download speed is half of the stock firmware. I'm wondering if "notengobattery-linksys_ea8300-squashfs-sysupgrade" would help in this case.

I would love to run Mikrotik RouterOS on the MR9000.

@sinxhack The modules are published, but this build has the SSL bug thing that affects the server where I push them to. So, they seem unavailable. The new build will solve this issue.

@rid If coming from an OEM OS, you'll need to flash the factory image.

@hipyskipy and @fabio0p it seems that the boot count reset code is working as expected. Regarding the MR9000, it is not added to the script. I am sure that adding it will solve the issue (will do for the next release)

@vt_redneck03060 I am not sure what are you saying. Do you want to run other's OEM firmware on another device? Thats quite a challenge but certainly not what openwrt is about.

1 Like

Hello, everyone!
After quite some time I managed to build and upload the latest version. This should fix those weird issues with the packages downloaded from my server. Please, check them out in post #1.

3 Likes

Thanx a lot. Good work.

Running the new version v3.0.1, but only as a managed switch (four VLANs) and access point: five SSIDs (3x2.4GHz 2x5GHz), not as a router. Had a couple of strange experiences (including a very weird variation on the random reboot scenario) but I'm not going to worry about them just yet as I'd done a very substantial reconfiguration from scratch, including replacing wpad-basic-wolfssl with wpad-wolfssl and I probably should have rebooted afterward just to get a fully consistent system before putting it to work. It's booted into its final setup now, I'll post again if I get another crash/reboot.

But I'm curious about one thing: as a smart switch and semi-dumb AP it doesn't need dnsmasq, unbound, odhcpd or firewall, so I stopped and disabled them. After rebooting, unbound is running anyway, even though there is no symlink to it in /etc/rc.d. What could have started it?

I can't seem to figure out why is it resetting the settings on reboot. I checked the files and tried to reproduce, but I couldn't. About random reboots, I would love to have the pstore logs if you still have them.

Unbound was likely ran by AdBlock. Is the only one I can think of right now. You can safely uninstall those packages as well.

It didn't reset my settings (I don't think), but the random reboot was pretty weird: when it came back it still worked as a managed switch (I was streaming video from a local fileserver through it on VLAN 20 from a tagged port to an untagged one and that resumed without a problem) but the wifi was off and the network was unresponsive and even my LED settings weren't in effect. A power cycle brought everything back correctly.

Again, not going to worry about it if it doesn't happen again, it'd been up for about 18 hours from clean install (factory defaults), through a pretty major reconfiguration and I didn't reboot it at any point before putting it into production use, so it was probably in a fairly incoherent state. Thanks again.

I also noticed that with the latest version the SQM does not work at all. I've tried different settings to no effect.