Optimized build for IPQ40xx devices

Yes, the build boots and WAN/WiFi works.

Okay, that sounds perfect. For all the people following the thread as well:

I just uploaded the RC4 version to my website! Let me know if you find any bug or annoyance (or any feedback). Please check the post #1.

2 Likes

Thank you :wink:

Hello, I have an EA6350 running stock OpenWrt. I'd like to ask if there is a summary of most important improvements (and disadvantages) compared to stock OpenWrt 19.07.8 in this optimized build. I would also like to ask why these improvements are not integrated into OpenWrt official build itself?

I run OpenWrt on various devices and would like to avoid having to keep track and understand specifics of a custom build, that is why I am asking.

2 Likes

I have been running rc3 for the past couple of months. Amazing work! Thank you :slight_smile:

I have just installed rc4 - looks and feels great. What are differences between rc3 and rc4?

Long story short: these changes are not part of OpenWrt mostly because I never sent them out there.

Most improvements are listed in the post #1. Some of these very same improvements are controversial like unlocking the CPU frequencies and are very unlikely to make it to OpenWrt.

They already rejected my compressed-memory initiative for some weird and rather not important reasons. We have to understand that OpenWrt has its own political standpoint as well.

The main disadvantage is that people may not use unbound which is installed and setup by default and they will have to remove them manually.

In my opinion those changes I made are fairly good. They are slim which means that for the normal user this is like OpenWrt but better (or even usable if you need vlans, feature that can't be used in vanilla OpenWrt).

Those changes have already a long history from myself and some users running it since 2019. That means that you can safely trust that unlocking the CPU frequencies won't burn your device anytime soon as OpenWrt developers may argue.

Since those changes are very very very slim you can read the forum to check the differences between 19.07 and 21.02. Just add "working vlans, faster, preinstalled software, and better memory management" to the list and you are good to go.

@kramsac you can find the differences here:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Your build is going to stay on my router. The working VLAN and excellent performance of the router is just incredible. Thank you for the hard work.

I found unbound to be a little slow at resolving over TLS, so switched to stubby. This was quick and easy, so I don't see the default use of unbound as a barrier.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you for the short but very informative summary.

1 Like

Any feedback on the Mikrotik device?

RAM usage is good after removing Unbound however the most important thing I appreciate is that WAN port VLAN is configurable though Luci.

I understand. If it's not too much to ask for, may you send me some files to my email software@notengobattery.com (specially if you already ran the device uninterrupted for some days).

1. Full kernel log
  2. Full system log
  3. Memory footprint (top, free, /proc/meminfo, /etc/init.d/zram stats, /etc/init.d/zswap stats)
  4. The contents of /proc/interrupts

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Finally updated my ea6350v3 to your newest. Very admirable work, thank you.

Have you considered supporting the Netgear EX6150v2? It's an AP-slash-"range extender" that turns out to be one of the better implementations of the IPQ4018 platform: I have two of them I use as one-armed router and/or AP as needed. It's a remarkably useful and performant device even using the ordinary OpenWRT release; your build would really unleash it.

I finally moved my EA6350 from vanilla OpenWrt to your RC4, very impressed, everything is working well so far.

hi @NoTengoBattery

thank you for your work

since it is a custom project, maybe you could make a slight changes in default snmp makefile ?

could you please add these to
feeds/packages/net/net-snmp/Makefile
SNMP_MIB_MODULES_INCLUDED

+       ip-mib/ipAddressTable \
+       ip-forward-mib/inetCidrRouteTable \
+       ip-forward-mib/ipCidrRouteTable \
+       mibII/ipv6 \

these mib's are needed for LibreNMS for proper IPv6 route detection

without them, LibreNMS is blind for IPv6

Hi @NoTengoBattery, sorry for not answering soon but I reverted this Mikrotik unit to stock RouterOS.

Your builds are really good from the software perspective however having too little RAM on this particular unit made it quite unresponsive serving several wireless devices even after removing Unbound, I saw you implemented automatic ZRAM in your firmware (compressed memory in Luci notation) but latencies suffered a bit under load due to additional CPU cycles being spent on compressing/decompressing memory blocks (I also run SQM CAKE at 100/100mbps :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

My current setup now consists of the Mikrotik with ROS 7 as main router/gateway doing fq_codel QOS and VLAN tagging (ISP requires VLAN 999 on WAN port when their ONT acts a bridge) and a Netgear R6400v2 with stock FW as dumb AP (which I retired from service years ago because the WAN port started to fail but the switch ports are still good but that's another story :rofl:).

Maybe if someday you can make a Lite version of your FW with just the right amount of additional packages I'll be glad to beta test.

Hello @NoTengoBattery, I am wondering how your build can be customized for port to the following tri-band IPQ4019 devices (with different RAM and flash configuration):

1. Linksys Velop WHW03 (similar to MR8300)
  2. Mikrotik Audience
  3. Trendnet TEW-829DRU

I have 1 and 3 to test but not 2 (which I'm interested in acquiring). I am looking into these for a future deployment project.

Please pardon my ignorance of OpenWRT build process.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @NoTengoBattery

I have a couple of doubts.
i have a linksys mr8300 dallas,
i i have installed rc4 version. How do I enable hardware acceleration for openvpn?

from my router when I consult the public ip fom ssh is the ip of my vpn, how can I make it the ip of my wan?

Thank you

1 Like

@r1m2 Well, as long as those devices are already supported by the "original" OpenWrt it should be more or less easy.

@Gcholvi I am not sure how to answer that. I think there are threads about OpenVPN. Sadly, I don't use OpenVPN yet since my internet service is mediocre and is just not worth. Poor country problems you know?

I would ask that in the "Using OpenWrt" section since this custom build actually uses almost all OpenWrt software from their official builds including OpenVPN.

However, if they say that you have to enable or disable a kernel feature then you'll have to tell me since I would need to rebuild the kernel accordingly.

1 Like

Hi there - i'm seeing an odd issue where I can log into the rooter over SSH but not via the Civic Web interface. I've tried restarting several times without success and also changing the root user passwd (using ssh connection). The log simply reads:

Wed Aug 25 17:09:49 2021 daemon.err uhttpd[3616]: luci: accepted login on / for root from 192.168.50.108

When I enter a wrong password I get a web page popup indicating wrong password, and the logs reports a failed login too.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Perhaps clear civic caches and restart civic from ssh connection (sorry i don't know how to do that)

Many thanks :slight_smile:

EDIT - ISSUE RESOLVED, it's a browser thing. when I use private browsing I can log in to Civic.

1 Like

Hi @NoTengoBattery, hi all

I'm using the latest build (rc4) on the EA6350v3, but for the life of me I can't get wireless speeds above 400. I tried the open source module + fw as well as the -ct module and fw shipped with your build. Hardly reach 400Mbps with iperf at 50cm distance.

I remember getting very good results after calibrating the board file with your script in one of the older versions, but the calibration script seems gone now. Is there anything I could try?

Thanks very much