Optimize boot time

Are you sure? There are many modems that have high speed with these specifications

1 Like

While an LTE or similar “modem” with internal NAT appears to boot quickly, it likely still has not acquired carrier and connectivity. You still need to wait for that.

2 Likes

I don't know that model.
Is that just boot time (i.e. ethernet/wifi working but no internet) or actually time to reach "internet working" condition?

1 Like

Yes, the Huawei i60 model provides Internet access in 35 seconds
this model :
https://irancell.ir/Portal/home/?333824/tf-i60

1 Like

If you find the time, please post logread and dmesg as shown above:

You can flash custom bootloader such as U-Boot mod (https://github.com/pepe2k/u-boot_mod) or Breed (https://breed.hackpascal.net/). As for me, I was able to reduce the boot time by 10 seconds.

1 Like

Of those two, I can only recommend the pepe2k U-Boot.

I would be surprised if significant gains can be made as better OEM U-Boot loaders take significantly less than 10 seconds before handing over to the kernel.

Of that time, typically 2 seconds are to allow interruption of the boot sequence. Removal of that feature without implementing another way to get into the boot loader can lead to a hard brick that could otherwise be easily resolved. One of my devices does a RAM check, which takes ~ 2 seconds. Not enough for me to be concerned about.

Before deciding on installing the Breed boot loader, please research the issues that people have had using it, as well as the level of support that they have been able to get from its author.

1 Like

"Breed" the "totally not a GPL-violating uboot modification", lol.

2 Likes

very thanks .
thank you . Can you explain more?

1 Like

The installation process is specific to your hardware. For example, on TP-LINK Atheros (Qualcomm Atheros) devices you must built OpenWrt with kmod-mtd-rw (this is required so that you can overwrite mtd partitions). Then flash the bootloader to the appropriate mtd partition from using OpenWrt.

1 Like

i can use it for zbt-we826 ? if yes . which mt7620 file can use for this ?

1 Like

i install [breed-mt76x8-blank.bin] by this command
mtd write etc/breed-mt7620-blank.bin u-boot
but boot time not chnge

1 Like

Understanding what a boot loader does would have been helpful to come to that conclusion without putting your router at risk. Even just watching serial output from power-on to the point where the kernel starts to load from flash would have confirmed timing. The boot loader basically sets up the SoC, then reads the kernel from flash, decompresses it, then starts it. It’s done and gone in a few seconds.

Breed is not supported here. That includes any failure to boot, crashes, bricking, and run-time problems that occur due to its setup of your router.

3 Likes

That is, in relation to this question, and to reduce the boot time, this u-boot has no effect?
Should I just lower my boot time by checking out the modem logs?

1 Like

You will have to do the work yourself.

There is no easy answer.

There likely will be no significant improvement at all.

1 Like

I hope can increase the speed because many of the different modems brands have a fairly good boot time.

1 Like

Yes, selecting non-DFS channels provides HUGE improvements in time to start a 5 GHz interface...

I live near an airport in the US, if I want decent performance I need to select non-DFS channels in the upper end of the range (in the 150s) - selecting any DFS channel leads to me getting kicked down to channel 36 after 2.5 minutes.

But since the OP is dealing with an LTE modem - these inherently take a while to boot up/connect and always have.

2 Likes

Are you concerned about:

• your modem's time to connect to your data carrier; or
  • the router's boot up time

Or both?

Both of these

1 Like

Check out ofmodemsandmen.com and "Rooter" to see if they support your equipment. If they can't provide the fastest boot with their port of OpenWrt firmware, it likely can't be delivered.

P.S. Just ignore the "social guidance" posts here, eventually someone who can understand technology from both a high end and low end at the same time will eventually step in to help.