Opportunity to switch to Archer C1200 or Archer C60 - is it worth it?

Hello!

My company bought some new WiFi routers and is dumping the old ones.

In the "trash box", there are

I currently own two routers, namely a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 acting as my main router and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V3.0. (In principle one router would be enough for the size of the apartment but using both of them I can keep the signal strength low.)

Would it be worth to replace one of my routers (or both) with one of the models that my company ditches?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

That’s for you to decide. Use the toh to verify they are supported by OpenWrt as well as their suitability to your use case.

From a quick look, the Archer C60 is an 8/64 device and doesn’t support 5Ghz. 8/64 Devices.

I don’t see support for the Archer C1200.

1 Like

Thank you for your help, @RuralRoots!

So, I can rule out to ditch my TL-WDR4600 as it has better hardware (at least it has 8/128). I also can rule out to take the Archer C1200 from the office, as it doesn't seem to be (well) supported.

However, the Archer C60 might be on a similar level as my TL-WR1043ND or even better...? Both only have 64 MB RAM - less than ideal but that's the way it is.

@RuralRoots, you noted that the Archer C60 doesn't support 5 Ghz, but to me it seems that the C60 does while my current router (TL-WR1043ND v3.0) does not?

Am I mistaken?

You are correct. My apologies. Must have been looking at the TL-WR1043ND data.

1 Like

thank you!

They all use Broadcom chips and should be avoided.

1 Like

Thank you @elder_tinkerer.

Would you recommend to stick with my TL-WR1043ND although it doesn't have 5 GHz or still switch to the Archer C60, although it has a Broadcom chip?

What's the problem with Broacom btw?

The C60 is fine, it doesn't use Broadcom chips (that's contrary to the C1200).

So the only thing you'll gain on a C60 is 5 GHz wifi.

Although 8/64 MB won't be enough for the next major release of OpenWrt.
And it might even be not enough for now, depending on what additional packages you want to install on your router.

The problem with Broadcom chips is, the manufacturer doesn't give out any information about it (unless you sign a NDA, which prohibits to share the information with other people) and so there are no free decent linux drivers for them available.

I see. So from this point of view, the C60 would be a small improvement.

However, I just noticed that the C60 only has 100MBit LAN while my TL-WR1043ND has 1GBit LAN.

This seems strange to me - I gain speed with 5 GHz and then loose it again in the LAN cable...

Is this a misconception?

That 5GHz information is outdated. I have the Archer C60 v1 and this band works.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.