Opkg update not working when DHCP disabled

is it normal for opkg updates not to work when DHCP is disabled?

if DHCP is required for providing IP, etc, to the device, then yes.

1 Like

In general, the device needs an internet connection to be able to download packages.

If you have setup your OpenWrt device as a dumb AP or similar (i.e. not the main router) and configured it with a static IP, you must make sure that you also specify the subnet mask, gateway (i.e. the main router), and DNS.

1 Like

Ive got internet. I can access the net but i cannot opkg update. Setup is wireless access point

Please connect to your OpenWrt device using ssh and copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board
cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall

Disabling/stopping dnsmasq on the main router could have this effect too, since it's handling DNS and DHCP requests.

1 Like

I mentioned that earlier....

but the OP didn't provide any further information. I asked for the config files so we can see for sure.

1 Like

Not any more :slight_smile:

One dime on Pi-hole, and DNS cache ran out.

So i have to copy info from main router to access point router?

Would you please post the results of the cat calls @psherman asked for?

Actually, run the cat calls on all DHCP servers.

Noted. I'll repost on friday. I'm on duty

1 Like

Access net from router itself? "ping www.google.com" ?
(Not from the connected PCs/devices that have got the DNS/gateway info via DHCP, but from the router SSH console or LuCI Diagnose screen)

Pretty sure that psherman is right in his guess, that is the typical error in dumb access point configuration...

In the lan interface settings.

Yes it is dumb access point i set it that way.
My main router is x86 mini pc, connected router is wg3526 as dumb AP dhcp disabled. I did it this way since my mini pc has no wifi

According to instruction https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap my error would be i forgot to set dns the same as default gateway i left the dns empty. I will try once i get back home from my duty.

Yeah, if DNS is empty, the router itself has no info about the nameservers.
That and/or missing gateway is the reason >95% of times when there are opkg problems with dumb APs.

1 Like