OPKG trying (and failing) to download packages on its own?

Hey all,

I've been having a really weird issue with opkg for a while, now. Whenever I do anything on opkg, I get bombarded with messages about packages that are unable to be installed.

Installing python-tkinter (2.7.13) on root
Downloading http://<package_url_that_definitely_100%_works_fine>/packages/python-tkinter_2.7.13-r1_cortexa9hf-neon.ipk.
Removing corrupt package file /var/cache/opkg/b1591911bec354b2e8dc2e9a4ce522c5_python-tkinter_2.7.13-r1_cortexa9hf-neon.ipk.
Installing python3-gpg (1.8.0) on root
Downloading http://<package_url_that_definitely_100%_works_fine>/packages/python3-gpg_1.8.0-r0_cortexa9hf-neon.ipk.
Removing corrupt package file /var/cache/opkg/12bc0e8d388b4aa91fde5e1c7c38e5b4_python3-gpg_1.8.0-r0_cortexa9hf-neon.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-tkinter. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download diffutils. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-syslog. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libc6-extra-nss. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-curses. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-xmlrpc. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-json. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-mailbox. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download m4. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-db. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libticw5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libstdc++-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download openssl-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download cryptodev-linux. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bzip2. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-pydoc. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-resource. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download sed. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-debugger. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libssp0. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download linux-libc-headers-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-gdbm. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libtic5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bash-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-unixadmin. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libreadline-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libc6-dbg. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-mmap. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-smtpd. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-bsddb. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libffi-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download perl-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-robotparser. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-compiler. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libncurses5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libgdbm-compat4. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download gawk. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libgcc-s-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libz-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libcidn1. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-2to3. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-hotshot. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bc. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download ncurses. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-profile. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download db. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download make. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-argparse. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-terminal. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-idle. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download diffutils-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download m4-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download flex. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download cryptodev-linux-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bzip2-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download sed-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-doctest. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libssp-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-multiprocessing. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libform5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libmenu5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libpanel5. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-misc. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libgdbm-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download gawk-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download libc6-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download bc-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download db-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download make-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download flex-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download ncurses-dev. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-tests. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python-modules. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download python3-gpg. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?

This is strange because the device is fully connected to the internet, it can install/uninstall other packages, and each and every one of these packages is available from my mirror. I've tried opkg clean, opkg --force-reinstall, etc. I can't squeeze any other useful information out of opkg with -V4, and it vomits this every time I issue any opkg command. None of these packages are currently installed (according to opkg), and none of them seem to be required by any other. I have plenty of space in my /tmp directory, and I've tried using -t. Nothing seems to make opkg happy.

Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas?

To my knowledge, there are no "cortexa9hf-neon" packages in the OpenWrt repo, which you pretty much acknowledge here:

http://<package_url_that_definitely_100%_works_fine>

What is your system? Some private fork? Modded OEM firmware? Based on which OpenWrt branch?

Likely the download repo there is some how incompatible with the current opkg in your firmware.

Possibly the package index and/or dependencies are screwed?

This is correct. I've got a private package repo feeding a private fork. I'm kind of out of ideas as to what to look for, so before I go messing with my repo or just nuking everything, I was wondering about anything I could do to reset my package index. That seems like the most likely contender for being toast.