Opkg broken in 17.01.0-rc1

So I just moved from stock to 17.01.0-rc1 release build on my Archer C7 V2. However, the checksums of opkg packages don't match and and/or 404. Before you ask: I did run opkg update twice.

root@r00ter:~# opkg install luci-app-sqm
Installing luci-app-sqm (1.1.2-1) to root...
Downloading ht*tp://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/packages/mips_24kc/packages/luci-app-sqm_1.1.2-1_all.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Package luci-app-sqm sha256sum mismatch. Either the opkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'opkg update'.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm.
root@r00ter:~# opkg install luci-app-sqm --force-checksum
Installing luci-app-sqm (1.1.2-1) to root...
Downloading ht*tp://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/packages/mips_24kc/packages/luci-app-sqm_1.1.2-1_all.ipk.
Ignored luci-app-sqm sha256sum mismatch.
Installing sqm-scripts (1.1.2-1) to root...
Downloading ht*tp://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/packages/mips_24kc/packages/sqm-scripts_1.1.2-1_all.ipk.
Ignored sqm-scripts sha256sum mismatch.
Installing tc (4.4.0-6) to root...
Downloading ht*tp://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/packages/mips_24kc/base/tc_4.4.0-6_mips_24kc.ipk.
Configuring sqm-scripts.
SQM: ERROR: QDISC fq_codel is NOT useable.
SQM: ERROR: QDISC codel is NOT useable.
SQM: ERROR: QDISC pie is NOT useable.
SQM: ERROR: QDISC sfq is NOT useable.
SQM: ERROR: QDISC cake is NOT useable.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download ht*tp://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/packages/mips_24kc/base/tc_4.4.0-6_mips_24kc.ipk, wget returned 8.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download tc. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm.
root@r00ter:~# 

I ran into the same issue yesterday with a WNDR3700 where relayd path that opkg was trying to download it from was off, hence a 404 (wget error 8). What's up with that? I used the release instead of trunk to be able to use opkg properly.

PS: Had to censor URLs because I'm a new user...

The buildbot for 17.01 packages has disk space problems and the last mips24kc build partially failed. Devs need to fix disk space problems before the packages repo gets new correct packages.

You might need to wait a day or two. And rc2 should be built early next week.

1 Like

Thanks for your fast response and the heads up regarding RC2! Is it save to preserve configuration between release upgrades?

[quote="r00t, post:3, topic:1373"]
Is it save to preserve configuration between release upgrades?
[/quote]Yes. I build for my community builds (wndr3700 and r7800) both master and 17.01 branch, and have jumped several times back and forth.

The differences between master and 17.01 are rather minimal at the moment. 17.01 has branched off from master master just 2-3 weeks ago.

Ps. If you use wndr3700, my community build includes SQM etc. built-in.

Ok great, this will make updating easier.

Regarding your build: I actually flashed the WNDR3700 to hand it over to a friend - I don't have it anymore. Archer C7 is what I use instead. Currently compiling my own build with ath10k-ct and a few other adjustments, let's see how that goes.

Update: SQM didn't even work properly after installing tc manually from 17.01 packages. Only fq_codel was available and it wasn't correctly limiting my traffic.

Compiling my own custom master build with the packages I require for my C7 V2 did work nicely however, the firmware is half the size, SQM works correctly on both cake and fq_codel and it also feels faster.

I'll likely just stick to my own builds if the release process of LEDE is that unreliable (missing packages, checksums not matching, SQM not working, etc.). I thought LEDE only exists because of exactly such issues at OpenWRT.

Now the buildbot server runs out of space and there is a bunch of issues with a release and nobody just re-runs the build from the release branch or does anything to fix these issues that "newbies" like me are not even aware of until they run into them. :confounded::gun:

I did just that. I am sorry that it took more than 24 hours to adress this particular failure mode, but this is exactly the kind of issues we hope to catch and solve with the first release.

1 Like