OpenWrt v22.03 missing a lot of packages from older version

i am trying to make the VPN router just like in the video.

i started this project a while ago with previous version and i was halfway done with my own config. But today i noticed that newer version was released so i flashed it and all the packages i had were gone.

In the video, the youtuber used the following packages:
opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib kmod-rt2800-usb kmod-rt2x00-lib kmod-rt2x00-usb kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 usbutils openvpn-openssl luci-app-openvpn nano

Running this command results in packages unknown:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib kmod-rt2800-usb kmod-rt2x00-lib kmod-rt2x00-usb kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-uhci
 kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 usbutils openvpn-openssl luci-app-openvpn nano
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2800-lib'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2800-usb'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2x00-lib'.
Unknown package 'kmod-rt2x00-usb'.
Package kmod-usb-core (5.10.138-1) installed in root is up to date.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-uhci'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb-ohci'.
Unknown package 'kmod-usb2'.
Unknown package 'usbutils'.
Unknown package 'openvpn-openssl'.
Unknown package 'luci-app-openvpn'.
Unknown package 'nano'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2800-lib.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2800-usb.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2x00-lib.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rt2x00-usb.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-uhci.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-ohci.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb2.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usbutils.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-openvpn.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nano.

is it sure, you did not miss a ‚opkg udate‘ beforehand?

3 Likes

pretty sure. I even clean installed openwrt

Try again... issue the following command. if it works, then try installing everything else.

opkg update; opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib

Like pico and psherman are saying, do "opkg update". It does not update firmware or anything like that. It simply refreshes the list of downloadble/installable packages, so that opkg finds them.

You get "unknown" for all of your packages, so it looks like the lists have not been updated and are empty (like always after a flash).

i did that 3-4 times. I run opkg update first thing when I flash openwrt.

what i said seemed true.

I clean installed v22.03 for rpi 3 and i did execute OPKG UPDATE but it didn't seem to work.
So i believe the packages are missing (at least on the rpi).

I ended up downgrading to v21. The download was very hard to find because rpi are not listed in v21 hardware table. Use Firmware selector instead hardware table.

Do you mean the opkg update already didn't work?

BTW: The kmods you mentioned are there: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0/targets/bcm27xx/bcm2710/kmods/5.10.138-1-61f39ce703e70e6060e1b0be43bb7300/

opkg update does run a script and looks like it's working but after it finishes, like nothing happened.

What do you mean by this? It should provide a bunch of text output while it updates the package lists -- that's all it is supposed to do. After that, and assuming the update completed successfully, you will use another command such as opkg install <package name> and it should install as long as the package is found.

The best way for us to understand what is happening is for you to post the output of your commands.

1 Like

I know that. That's why i said packages are missing. OPKG UPDATE does output success messages. Then i do opkg install packageName, i get package not found

Let's see the complete output of the following (obviously replace with the actual package you are trying to install:

opkg update
opkg <package name>

can't tell you. I already flashed v21 as i said earlier.

If you have any interest in resolving the problem, you'll need to reinstall 22.03. Otherwise we can't help if you're not able to provide the necessary information for troubleshooting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.