OpenWrt travel router for VPN, how to deal with captive portal

I'm not sure what the .d*.conf file is, but both the /etc/resolv.conf and /tmp/resolv.conf contain the loopback address:

"search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ::1"

seems your router isn't picking up/using the DNSes from the WAN site DHCP ...

Looks like there's no work around :frowning:

I tried using the IP of the portal as the DNS server, but that didn't work either.

Thank you very much for trying to help me.out.

np,

some wifi networks blacklist the MACs of known router manufacturers, to stop people from
doing exactly what you're trying to do.

you could try to override the MAC of your routers WAN port, by using your cell phones or tablets wifi MAC, to fool it.

1 Like

You might need to disable rebind protection and restart dnsmasq

root@repeater:~# cat /etc/config/dhcp

config dnsmasq 'main'
        option domainneeded '1'
        option boguspriv '1'
        option filterwin2k '0'
        option localise_queries '1'
        option rebind_protection '0'
1 Like

This article does actually mention benefit of VPNs for airports, hotels etc. He uses one himself.

But he did make me re-think about some other things - a great read.

The important word in that c&p is unencrypted, problem is, nothing is unencrypted nowadays.

And if you think your apps aren't using encrypted traffic, you better uninstall them.

The whole (sponsored) snippet is trying to make you doubt your apps, insinuating they might (there's no proof of it posted, of course) be insecure, and through it, justify the existence of consumer VPN services.

The only person who benefits here, is the writer (I assume there's a referral link somewhere in there), and the VPN provider.

There are good reasons for using VPNs, this however, isn't one of them.

Apart from everything frollic mentioned (which is 100% correct), the public hotspot (airport, café, etc.) concern (which, as frollic mentioned, is a bit far fetched these days) can just as easily be sorted by using a free VPN back to your own home router and using your own residential ISP as endpoint.

1 Like

Can you share an example of free VPN that will also work well with OpenWrt router?

openvpn, wireguard ?

1 Like

Wireguard also?

typo should have been wireguard :slight_smile:

1 Like