OpenWrt support on rt2600ac (synology) 2021

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that I already changed that through menuconfig :smiley: I assumed the patches would have already done that, so I didn't check at first.

user@6a81f9260e6c:~/openwrt/openwrt$ cat target/linux/ipq806x/image/Makefile | grep '= synology_rt2600'
TARGET_DEVICES += synology_rt2600ac

user@6a81f9260e6c:~/openwrt/openwrt$ ls -al bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac*
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 44933396 Sep  5 11:49 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-firmware.pat
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 33554432 Sep  5 11:48 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-initramfs-uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 40345875 Sep  5 11:48 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-rootfs.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 43348945 Sep  5 11:49 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-squashfs-firmware.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 44933396 Sep  5 11:49 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-sysupgrade.pat
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user  4194304 Sep  5 11:48 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac-uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user    11877 Sep  5 11:49 bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/openwrt-ipq806x-generic-synology_rt2600ac.manifest

But I understood your concerns with the changes since r17101. Just wanted to check if I had all the tools :slight_smile: I'll try your r17101 boarddir later.

1 Like

so you did get the right bins after all... no_askey = good...

no need to...

synology_rt2600ac-rootfs.tar.gz = rootfs
synology_rt2600ac-uImage = kernel

great job following the notes...

I've switched back to your nonss build and now SQM is working great. However, I've noticed I can't get my line's max throughput anymore as it's only using single core instead of dual core. Is there a setting blocking from using both cores?

Edit: this htop snapshot is taking during a stresstest. CPU performance is maxxing out the throughput instead of the pppoe-bandwidth itself.

Edit2: I'm using cake + piece_of_cake which should easily get my 58Mbps download, but CPU is maxxing it around 45Mbps

what is the line's throughput?

1 Like

maybe enable packet steering and irqbalance?

should be able to push 150-ish+...

all the standard ipq806x advice applies... can't think of anything in the no nss build that would negate(cancel out) that...

but htop or top should actually tell you alittle more about what is chewing the resources... just looking at the bar is not that usefull... as will cat /proc/interrupts

1 Like

Alright, packet steering seems to have resolved it. Nice distribution among the CPU's now.

Bufferbloat A+ on DSLReports. Sweet ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there somewhere I could donate that would be sure to get official OpenWRT support on the RT2600AC?

I have two RT2600AC units at different locations, and I'd like to ditch the buggy (no VLANs, broken ipv6) Synology firmware on both. But I don't want to mess around with experimental builds on the family's wifi.

I also have an MR2200AC, and getting support for that would be awesome too.

the more interest the better, specifically more people that

would be a good sign...

if OEM support starts falling off as seems indicated here, more people such as yourself might arrive and more of these things will saturate the second hand market in the near term...

it's kinda late for this device... but given the above and lack of availability for other ipq806x devices... i'd say it's a distinct possibility...

These ipq8065 devices are still interesting and apparently the vendor hasn't made it too hard to support it, so it would be quite reasonable to get it supported. That would probably also apply for the ipq4019 based MR2200AC. The biggest Achilles' heel for getting these supported early on was probably their price.

I have one RT2600AC shelved and I am using a much lower end Archer C6 v3.2 both as router and access points.

Having OpenWRT running on the RT2600AC would be awesome, but I would not hold my breath.

On the other hand Synology recently announced that they will release SRM 1.3 next year, with VLAN and multi SSID support.

I hope they add WireGuard and improved 802.11r support as well. If they do so I may give SRM 1.3 a try.

1 Like

good to get info about the state of OEM firmware anyway... i've actually never heard detailed criticisms to date, and have always run OpenWrt so really useful...

(but admittedly have not looked in over a year, all materials i've seen are pretty praiseworthy, with most of the finer discussion related to updates, or upper level stuff like their db shiz or appstore quirks)

Hi,
I got Synology RT2600AC from my friend, he bricks this device, something goes wrong during firmware update. I read several threads, I think the best will be to try boot from USB but all files linked in this post expired, can you reupload them somewhere? It whould be great to bring this router back :slight_smile: booting stuck on Starting kernel ...

Or maybe you know how to load stock image? it's xxx.pat, how to load it via tftp? Currently I see that friend of mine tried to install openwrt and then it stop boot.

Version command shows:

arm-openwrt-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc (Linaro GCC 4.6-2012.02) 4.6.3 20120201 (prerelease)

Did anyone ever figure out how to get radio firmware to load without patching atk10k?

I gave up on the RT2600AC in one location, and went to TP-Link Omada.
At the other location, I now have both RT2600AC units, now that firmware 1.3 fixes their IPv6 and allows meshing two RT2600AC units together.

Is there anyone interested in running OpenWRT on an RT2600? I have an 80% functional initramfs, lan works, wifi works (but with random mac).

Important Note: Due to Synology's kind of unique firmware structure, with small flash and the kernel and userland on the eMMC in ext4 partitions I do not think it likely support for the device can be merged.

The above solution of booting from usb is perhaps the best option to be able to retain the ability to return to Stock as uboot can be configured to boot stock if the usb drive is removed, but this amount of uboot changes and the risk of needing serial to fix issues would restrict openWRT to more advanced users.

If anyone is keen to work on it with me though I have some time after xmas to try and get it done. If there's no interest I'll shelve it.
Todo:

1. Fix the mac address loading from the flash
  2. create a usb bootable initramfs
  3. modify the dts and board support files to support sysupgrading the usb boot drive

Finally, is anyone aware of any supported device that has an emmc ext4 kernel partition and rootfs? If this has ever been accepted (apart from x86) I'd been keen to review how it was done. Maybe repartitioning the mmc? - but again this is way outside what I'd expect a user to be able to do on an all in one router, over serial :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The nbg6817 has a quite similar setup, u-boot on spi-nor (4 MB), kernel+(rootfs+overlay) on a 4 GB eMMC (2*(4+64) MB) - so that by itself shouldn't be a problem.

Hi slh, thank you for the link to the nbg6817 info, that's the dts I used to create mine.
The emmc partitioning for that device seems more sensible - particularly the duplicate kernel and rootfs partitions, allowing openwrt to take one over.
Synology appear to have duplicated the partitioning from their NAS devices. Using a small boot partition (kernel, dtb, ramdisk), large rootfs partition and a separate apps / Appstore partition.
This leaves no space to maintain stock while adding openwrt somewhere at least not without shrinking the rootfs or apps partitions.

Also, the modified uboot requires the dtb to be served as a separate file or the device hangs on boot, but I'm sure I can workaround that.

Hello, I have a device and want to try running openwrt. Can you provide it to me for testing?

Do you have serial console access? I have a basic initramfs built but it is not ready to be flashed and you must have a serial console to try it

i m not connected to serial console access, Need connection diagram