OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX9000

Yes, but its not DT aware at all cause they couldnt agree on universal bindings so its pretty much useless

1 Like

Do you have the correct bindings to setup the devicetree of hwmon, for the AX9000?

No, driver itself is not DT aware at all, bindings themself mean nothing

I'm confused how they achieved support the EMC2301 on the RPI, then. :confused:

Cause its not the same driver, in the end upstreamed driver is not DT aware at all

Their driver is available: https://github.com/neggles/cm4io-fan/tree/master/emc2301

So what?

Do we really want another downstream driver?

I don't see any major issue with a stable downstream driver that just works, as long the upstream driver is useless.

Are you gonna be the one that is going to maintain it forever?

Upstream driver works, it just isnt DT aware for a good reason

I don't mind maintaining it as long the upstream driver is not useful downstream. Not indefinitely, as long it serves its propose. Seems to me the RPI took this approach for a good reason.

RPi has been doing their fork or LTS kernel for years now, they are way too slow with upstreaming stuff and just keep on pilling hacks.

Why not use some of that energy on upstreaming it?

1 Like

Could you consider proposing a PR upstream with an useful version?

Not really, there is way more important stuff on the SoC itself than a fan controller driver.

I am really not in the mood of trying to negotiate what bindings would Rob consider universal enough for weeks

Is the fan currently on all the time at top rpm?

No, its off by default

I used @bruda method and repeated many times but it didint give SSH connection, until i found a new solution or method and that was just installing the Official Developer firmware, it enabled SSH Connection without doing anything, im not sure if @bruda method helped in this but this is how it worked for me, coz i even did Debrick the device by TFTP and instelled the Dev Firmware and enabled SSH without repeating @bruda method or doing anything, hope you add this to the wiki

Cant you add the necessary USB Tethering packages to the default installed packages? And any idea how to add or enable VPN Connection? Those packages should be installed by default if they are available ofcours

As mentioned several times, these are convenience builds, only what's necessary to run your device + luci (very similar to OpenWrt release builds), if you need anything beyond that, you will have to build from source. Robert (respectively github's CI) can't build every package supported by OpenWrt, as that would extend the build times exponentially (and the CI is time limited as well).

If that's not an option for you, don't buy devices that aren't fully supported in vanilla OpenWrt yet - once there, everything will be built, before that, binary builds are a courtesy of the maintainers at best.

1 Like

Its not that big of a deal im not asking for something impossible i know that its not officially supported yet but, i tried do it myself first before i ask here and i dont have a big knowledge in this OS its my first time to use or flashing it, so i just suggested if he could add those features "USB Tethering + VPN“, coz they are installed by default in almost all of the OpenWRT routers, most of their packages are there it just needs few dependencies to work

The problem is, not a big deal here and not a big deal there becomes a very big deal soon. Other users have similar pet peeves - and the same reasons to get their not-a-big-deal in, meaning that you very quickly double or triple the build times[0], before even thinking about then having to provide user level support for those addons.

ipq807x is still work in progress, not a finished and enduser compatible product - part of that means having to say 'no'.

--
My very own not-a-big-deal additions extend my build times by at least 2.0-2.5 times, but they happen on my hardware, on my time and on my dime.

2 Likes