OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX9000

Hi Loko,
I think this might not be the best forum to ask these questions - try Xiaomi forum instead, as both of your questions seems to be relevant to Xiaomi's firmware. I understand your confusion as Xiaomi advertises their firmware for this device as "OpenWRT based", but they simply used an older version of OpenWRT, customised it, added a bunch of their closed source code, etc...

1 Like

Found this during browsing. Hope it helps. Thanks everyone for your hardworks. God bless..

No, it does not help, has nothing to do with Openwrt.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

contemplating buying one of this ... however it seems from reading on this forum it is still in early development the openwrt version.

A quick question - are you finding the drivers are not open source ? I have a wrt3200acm and as you probably suspect don't want to end up with a driver like mwlwifi but with something that is top end, affordable and open source.

thank you & hope you enjoy the season with your loved ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I've just tried this with robimarko's latest built images.

root@XiaoQiang:~# nvram set ssh_en=1; nvram set uart_en=1; nvram set boot_wait=on; nvram commit;
root@XiaoQiang:~# reboot
root@XiaoQiang:~# ubiformat /dev/mtd22 -y -f /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax9000-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi
ubiformat: mtd22 (nand), size 58720256 bytes (56.0 MiB), 448 eraseblocks of 131072 bytes (128.0 KiB), min. I/O size 2048 bytes
libscan: scanning eraseblock 447 -- 100 % complete  
ubiformat: 301 eraseblocks have valid erase counter, mean value is 0
ubiformat: 147 eraseblocks are supposedly empty
ubiformat: warning!: only 301 of 448 eraseblocks have valid erase counter
ubiformat: mean erase counter 0 will be used for the rest of eraseblock
ubiformat: use erase counter 0 for all eraseblocks
ubiformat: flashing eraseblock 92 -- 100 % complete  
ubiformat: formatting eraseblock 447 -- 100 % complete  
root@XiaoQiang:~# nvram get flag_last_success
root@XiaoQiang:~# nvram set flag_last_success=1
root@XiaoQiang:~# nvram set flag_boot_rootfs=1
root@XiaoQiang:~# nvram commit
root@XiaoQiang:~# reboot
root@XiaoQiang:~# Connection to 192.168.31.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.31.1 closed.

Doesn't appear to come back up, and no wifi point is visible. However plugging the wan ethernet port into my computer, which acts as a DHCP server, an IP address comes up for the device, but I'm not able to ssh into it and nmap suggests all ports are closed. So I guess something's partially booted up.

I guess I'll try the recovery process, or get a debug cable that won't brick the device. Maybe this is flebourse's issue.

Ah, looks like I managed to recover it, using the recovery tool (Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition (R4AG/R4A Gigabit) -- fully supported and flashable with OpenWRTInvasion - #747 by Zorro). Would be great to know if I did something wrong.

You need to flash both rootfs partitions.

mtd21: 03800000 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd22: 03800000 00020000 "rootfs_1"

Doesn't seem to be the same issue, if your PC is able to receive a correct dhcp request the uplink is working at least in the router->PC direction.
By default the firewall on the router block almost everything on the wan link, one solution would be to generate a firmware containing a permissive firewall configuration.

Yes. I think I hadn't realised how locked down the openwrt firmware would be after first installation. It's all working now.

Thanks for your, and kirdes, help.

My new & shiny AX9000 has just arrived :slight_smile:

Is there a way to get ssh access without serial nor secondary OpenWRT router? (my current OpenWRT router has HTTPs enabled)
Is QCN PCIe working?
Is robi's image using an overlay partitions or still uses two rootfs only?

Thanks!

I would like to compile the firmware for my AX9000, but I haven't found any information about which branch to use on robimarko,s repo. Should I use IPQ807x-5.10-backports or ipq807x-5.15 ?

I was able to gain ssh access using the exploit on #251 (global version). Use #179 if you have chinese version.

1 Like

IPQ807x-5.10-backports

Hi @trourance
I can return a favour:)
The situation with branches is a bit complicated ... IPQ807x-5.10-backports is kind of working for most of the things, and kernel 5.10.x is used for this branch with wifi drivers only backported from kernel 5.15.
But with the things that didn't work, robimarko hit a kind of dead-end and started his work afresh with a newer kernel 5.15.
So while branch IPQ807x-5.10-backports is ahead at the moment (so today's recommendation from Gingernut is correct for today), I think the situation will change in favour of ipq807x-5.15 soon ... :slight_smile:

Is the main 5Ghz radio working yet? Only thing stopping me from using OpenWrt. I miss it lol

Nope, ath11k is a pain that just keeps on giving.
Its got a stupid bug in which PCI card works if you dont load the AHB module

Do you think kernel 5.15.x has this bug fixed?

Its an ath11k bug

hmmm that's not promising when it comes to supporting AX9000
is kvalo aware?

I am sure that QCA is aware, and they will fix it as soon as some of their users require it.
Otherwise, good luck

4 Likes