OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX9000

I'm exploring an alternative installation process that should not require the case to be cracked open.
Please provide your comments regarding the following:

root@XiaoQiang:~# cat /proc/mtd
mtd21: 03800000 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd22: 03800000 00020000 "rootfs_1"
mtd23: 00100000 00020000 "cfg_bak"
mtd24: 07d80000 00020000 "overlay"
mtd25: 005ef000 0001f000 "kernel"

Extract kernel and root from openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax9000-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Then scp the files to /tmp/

sudo dd if=/tmp/root of=/dev/mtd21

sudo dd if=/tmp/kernel of=/dev/mtd25

Would it be possible to write to the kernel and root fs in dd mode?
With the information above, are /dev/mtd21 and /dev/mtd25 the correct partitions for root and kernel ?

Thanks

If you are testing something nobody has tried you have fair chances to end up using UART for recovery, IMO. Good luck. Following.

1 Like

There's an install guide to install without opening the router. I have yet to open mine and have been running OpenWRT for quite some time now. Been using the Xiaomi Restore tool anytime I bricked the router prior.

1 Like

Could you please provide links to the build that worked for you.

@robimarko , would you create that separate firmware for the international version, as a safeguard and avoidance to brick devices, and not messing manually with boot parameters by the enduser?

Its on the ToDO list, but when will that happen I dont know, anybody is free to experiment and make a PR

It is now: https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax9000#for_the_international_oem_firmware_model_only

3 Likes

I cant find the guide you are refeering to. Could you please link / copy-paste it.
Mabe even put it in the install section of the AX9000 openwrt page...

https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax9000
Scroll down to "Direct rooting device procedure" which involves flashing 3 bin files on the oem firmware and or you could do the "Using a second mandatory OpenWrt router with Luci installed" that's the method I did prior to the direct rooting method existing. I have tested both methods and they both work perfectly well

thnaks alot

are the commands for installing copy/paste or do i need to modify them to fit my exact router?

Im not framiliar at all with router flashing

i get the process to get ssh but then how do i actually install openwrt when i have ssh access?
Could someone upload copy/pasteable commands for the whole process from stock chinese firmware to openwrt fully installed.

If you scroll down more there's instructions "For the Chinese OEM firmware model only" if you have the Chinese firmware. Just pay attention very closely to the instructions.

thats what ive done but it requires quite some knowledge.
I for example have no idea how to copy the file tp /temp

If you are using Linux or Mac just use the scp command
scp filename root@192.168.1.1:/tmp
If you are on Windows then use WinSCP (with GUI interface) and perform this operation using GUI

1 Like

thanks.

and for the other commands. How to i "type them through ssh"?

Issue the command: ssh root@192.168.1.1 from Linux/Mac terminal console, or use Putty on Windows
and then follow the instructions
Having said that ... if you miss these foundations ... chances are relatively high that you brick your router.
OpenWrt requires some fundamental Linux knowledge when it comes to the installation... I don't want to discourage you but maybe find a friend, cousin... who could assist you?

1 Like

So I compiled my own image for intl ax9000 and changed the load address. It worked fine.
Is the change required for sysupgrades as well or can I now upgrade using regular master images without the address change?

1 Like

Normal images should be working from now on :slight_smile:

Hi all. Help me please.
AX9000 global FW:3.0.40
Is it possible to get ssh/telnet access without opening the case?
Need to edit the host file

Yes, you can enable SSH access without UART. Follow the steps in the wiki and ensure create_exploit_hdr2 file is used. Search the forum for replies to my post, someone uploaded the *hdr2 file last week as reply to my post.