OpenWrt support for WAX206

I'm testing the 1GB branch now for some days. Everything seems to work fine. Even the 5Ghz wireless worked out of the box. Anyways: Speed with 5GHz seems to be quite low around 60Mbps direct connection in the same room without walls. Distance about 2-3m. I used an Motorola phone with wifi 4 802.11 a/b/g/n. So the connection should be faster right? Is anybody experiencing something similar or did I do sth. wrong? Any advice on thoroughly testing would be apreciated. I would most likely share my results here.

1 Like

Flashed the 1GB branch, now the WAN lights up blue. Ping is working but no access or any open ports. I

tried the reset button with power on and off, but only ping is working..
hope its not bricked ...

serial console, FTW.

and don't bump your threads, esp not after 25 mins.

How to do that?

open it up, but as I recall, nmrpflash's supposed to work too.

2 Likes

ok should i flash the original or openwrt image?

since the openwrt image doesn't work, i'd go with the original.

2 Likes

Got IT working again. Big thanks /

Tried again, image is flashed and i can ssh now, but no luci or webinterface, do i have to setup with make menuconfig to setup something?

How did you build it, following a tutorial? But yes, you have to use menuconfig. LuCI is not included by default in OpenWrt (see documentation for using snapshot but it's true also when you build yourself).

1 Like

How are you testing, iperf3, speedtest.net ... ? What speed does OpenWrt show the phone is connected too? Is your phone really 802.11 a/b/g/n only?

Sorry, I can't help you with that question. My setup at home is simple and I'm not really experienced with WiFi optimisation.

You can install LuCI after you flashed the image and ssh into it. See here for the commands: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials

2 Likes

I'd be ready to created the pull request but waiting for an answer from @sumo regarding how to handle his contribution (send PM last Saturday).

Can someone maybe guide me how to handle it? Basically he did the majority of the work and I did add some smaller fixes.

Now If I create the PR by squashing the commits do I leave him as the author and add sign-offs for him and me ... or only me? Or handle it completely different?

2 Likes

Generally it's handled how the linux kernel handles it.
Which is: keep original author, mention your incremental changes in a [ ] line and then sign off yourself.

Like this https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=3f7cc9d0144dbc429d19c1801cc6be149f969db9

1 Like

I think my post is pretty much obsolete. I connected the phone again and in OpenWrt it showed a connection speed with around 800Mbs TX/RX. I also tested the direct connection to the wax206 with iperf3 and it shows a constant ~450Mbps. So i guess everything works fine. Thx for your reply

As @patient0 and @aschmid-it already mentioned: You have to install luci after flashing the device with OpenWrt. It's as simple as...

opkg update
opkg install luci

if you want the web interface via ssl, just do the following:

opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl
/etc/init.d/uhttpd restart

before you do you have to make sure that the wax206 can reach the internet. For that you can basically add an gateway and dns ip adress to your br-lan device. Restart the network and you should be ready to go.

1 Like

Ok got it working now, thanks for your work.

1 Like

60 Mbps could be expected for 802.11n (wifi4) on certain hardware. I have some devices that run ~ 70 Mbps on channel width of 20. You could try to increase channel width to 40, that could push it up to roughly 140, if you are lucky and your hardware supports it.

1 Like

Okay, I stumbled into this thread after a got 3 of these WAX206's. I am going to use these in my next house purely as access points (and a Rpi cm4 as a router as reviewed by Jeff Geerling on YT). In the meantime, I want to test these with the new OpenWRT some of you guys are working on.

Can someone point me in the right direction? What branch on git should I test? Are there any prebuild images or do I have to build myself?