OpenWrt support for Meraki MR46

Any update?

Has anyone bumping for an update requested the source code for the MR46 from Meraki? Email open-source@meraki.com, be sure to also mention that your request covers the bootloader source code.

Meraki's standard practice is to compile the environment into u-boot, and sign the whole thing. Since the environment is in the signed u-boot, you cannot modify bootcmd.

Meraki used the same u-boot release for the ipq40xx, which contained a bug allowing you to bypass secure boot.

The MR46 is a different SoC, uses a different u-boot release: U-Boot 2018.01-RELEASE-gb0bd058b3f and as far as I know, all of their newer products come with secure boot enabled by default (meaning, there will be no code paths in u-boot that don't enforce signature verification).

It will only be possible to give a more definitive answer when we have the u-boot source code from Meraki

3 Likes

this is super helpful. I requested the uboot source code from Meraki. I will look whether the bug is present, once I get the code from them.

1 Like

Yes, very helpful, thanks! I also requested the U-Boot sources from Meraki, albeit for the MR44 which I have a few at hand to tinker with. Also checking...

1 Like