OpenWrt support for Linksys MX4200

you are a life saver !

Some files were deleted from source and I can't build it anymore.

Thank you.

So if we did the initial install where we installed the @lytr build factory image via the stock firmware webui, followed the instructions to use mtd to write it the 2nd partition as well, and then used the qosmio based build sysupgrade image via the Luci webui then do we need to go back and follow the initial mtd instructions again to write the sysupgrade image (and any future updates) on the second partition or is that essentially handled by just doing it once via the Luci webui?

Anyone have a problem with the MX4300 not working with ethernet or wifi? I have one that looks brand new in the box and never gives me wifi signal and ethernet never works just disconnects both. I used it to connect to another mx4300 I flashed fine, and it gives me a different page, so I went to the page and it has no way to upgrade the firmware, I get a weird landing page when I connect through it on the other router. Should I return this one? Any idea how to fix? I don't think I can use the USB to upload the firmware either?

Thanks for the build, @vochong! I've been using earlier @lytr's build for a while, and it's been stable, but need USB support and more packages, and was about to learn how to build myself - this saved me an effort!

Unfortunately, with this build I can't connect to WiFi at all.

Wed Aug 14 21:22:32 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy0-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Wed Aug 14 21:22:32 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy0-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Wed Aug 14 21:22:40 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy0-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
Wed Aug 14 21:23:24 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy1-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Wed Aug 14 21:23:24 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy1-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Wed Aug 14 21:23:32 2024 daemon.info hostapd: phy1-ap0: STA [MAC] IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request

I configured it exactly the same (dumb AP) as 2 other MX4300 (using @lytr's build) and RBR50 (using official 23.05.4).

Happens on both Android and Mac (though I don't see "local deauth request" on Mac) - keeps asking for WiFi password. I use WPA2-PSK w/ Force CCMP (AES), on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Any ideas?

Others have used the same image without any problem. Can you try to reboot/power-cycle your AP or forget SSID and re-connect?

It appears you are running the HomeWRK firmware. Try resetting your device to factory settings: https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AYRA-08315/5494825.pdf

Thanks - yes, I saw it works for others. I should have mentioned, that in router mode it worked for me as well...

So, I've compared all setting to other router (visually), rebooted several times, "forgot" connections on Mac, tried different client..

Then I just reset and reconfigured it from scratch - I use cheat sheet for these config, and did it many times, so I'm reasonably sure settings are the same.

[...]

So, finally I've done what I should have done at the beginning - disabled encryption. And it works. (and I've tried to enable it after that / "forgot" connections, etc. - does not work)

As for questions about differences between builds, my builds are base minimal builds. If you need additional modules, it's best to compile firmware yourself or use other builds.

So, I've used sysupgrade and re-flashed @lytr's 2540ea6 to the other partition keeping config. And - could connect to all 3 WiFi networks I had configured on this r27226+1-bceacdb06e build.

I read in this thread above that the device is not using DSA. Is there any possibility of it moving to DSA in future ?

My other openwrt router setups are fully scripted so was just hoping that I can use those scripts for the most part and there could be parity for and I don’t have to use swconfig for this one….

I figured out, had to set the wifi security to WPA2 or WPA3 to unlock the "WLAN roaming" tab.

Thanks for sharing the screenshot, it helped!

'Possible', yes - but very unlikely, and it would take years of really hard development, if you want to go for it, please do (but don't expect that others will do it for you).

@qosmio,

Any comment on Ka6uka's issue?

Thank you for your find, unfortunately I have tried to reset it multiple times and it doesn't do anything but change it to this screen again with no way for it to assign an ethernet IP address, and I even tried the app to see if I could update through there. I have restarted it countless times and it would be unfortunate if there are some of these 'bad firmwares' floating around, might explain the price? Has anyone else come across this firmware? It came like this out of the box, so if anyone else has this problem I am thinking of just returning it and getting another one, I'm not willing to open one up yet.

@cr4zymanz0r: I think I have the same issue as you experienced. See my earlier post OpenWrt support for Linksys MX4200 - #1079 by ubi2024. In your last message (OpenWrt support for Linksys MX4200 - #1179 by cr4zymanz0r), you said the situation seems improved. Is your MX4300 working consistently now?

@oldbastard had some suggestion to disable DHCP and performed basic diagnose if the MX4300 itself can access Internet. It turns out, disabling dnsmasq & odhcpd on my MX4300 used as an AP (and restart) doesn't help, and the router can ping Internet successfully:

PING openwrt.org (64.226.122.113): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.226.122.113: seq=0 ttl=46 time=168.589 ms
64 bytes from 64.226.122.113: seq=1 ttl=46 time=164.937 ms
64 bytes from 64.226.122.113: seq=2 ttl=46 time=167.634 ms
64 bytes from 64.226.122.113: seq=3 ttl=46 time=162.449 ms
64 bytes from 64.226.122.113: seq=4 ttl=46 time=164.464 ms

--- openwrt.org ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 162.449/165.614/168.589 ms

Besides, for a few dimensions mentioned, my data points are:

1. WPA2-PSK is used in all experiments.
  2. Both AX 40MHz and AC 20MHz are having the same issue.

So, @cr4zymanz0r, I side with your judgment earlier it has something to do with the build. @oldbastard Let me know if you have other suggestions that I should try. Thank you.

You can also try switching to the second partition. Connect the power supply three times for 10 seconds and disconnect. After that it will start from the second partition. Maybe there is a different firmware version on it. And if not, then the only thing left is to connect via serial.

Yes, after updating to the qosmio build that vochong posted I only encountered one connectivity issue at the very beginning that a reboot solved. I haven't been taxing it super hard or anything but actual stable 5ghz wireless connectivity has been fine for me since then.

Those ping times seem normal, it looks bad but that about average pinging openwrt. I get 120ms. It is weird how some people are having issues with @lytr build but I can tell you that I had none of those issues. It just worked for me. I have mostly newer hardware and the only time I had somewhat of an issue and it was not really an issue is when I used an older laptop on the network that had an older intel wireless card that is known to had issue in Linux. Speeds where not the same and everything seem slow but I blame the old hardware on that as the old hardware was the only device having somewhat of a problem.

I know its weird that less than a handful of people are having issues with connectivity but with such a high percentage of success rate on @lytr firmware, it must be some configuration issue, interference or something. I mean just for good measure, I installed an old intel 7260 card on my old laptop and I was able to reproduce some of the issues that @cr4zymanz0r was experiencing. So chucked that as hardware issue on that wireless card. It is known to have issues and there are all kinds of tweaks I had to do before I upgraded to an AX200 in order to get the 7260 somewhat stable. See below how crazy it got, disabled Bluetooth as it caused interference, disabled power save as it caused issues and slow speed, disabled N and AX. I had to disable all these on the card as it was not enough to just set the AP to use AC. I know this might not be your issue but there is something not happy in your setup and you just have to find out what it is.

# /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
# iwlwifi will dyamically load either iwldvm or iwlmvm depending on the
# microcode file installed on the system.  When removing iwlwifi, first
# remove the iwl?vm module and then iwlwifi.
remove iwlwifi \
(/sbin/lsmod | grep -o -e ^iwlmvm -e ^iwldvm -e ^iwlwifi | xargs /sbin/rmmod) \
&& /sbin/modprobe -r mac80211
#options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
#options iwlwifi swcrypto=0
#options iwlwifi power_save=0
#options iwlwifi uapsd_disable=1
#options iwlmvm power_scheme=1
options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0
#options disable_11ax=true
#options disable_11be=true
#options disable_11ac=true
#options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8
#options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=N
#options iwlwifi lar_disable=Y
#options iwlwifi power_save=0
#options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8 power_save=0 disable_11ac=true disable_11ax=true disable_11be=true
#options 11n_disable 1 disable_11ax true bt_coex_active false disable_11ac true
#options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 
#options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8 bt_coex_active false disable_11ac true 

To summarize:

1. I have config - Dumb AP, several VLANs, IPv4 only, dnsmasq and firewall disabled The same config works on other builds, incl. @lytr's r0-2540ea6 on MX4300.
  2. On r27226+1-bceacdb06e - everything works if connected through ethernet or open WiFi
  3. On r27226+1-bceacdb06e - with enabled encryption (I tried several) can't connect to WiFi; I'll get password dialog again, sometimes with "wrong password" footnote.
  4. When sysupgrade from r27226+1-bceacdb06e to @lytr's r0-2540ea6, rolling over config, no changes - everything works.

Another dumb question: this router has two radios for 5g bands, radio0 for lower frequency 5g and radio2 for upper frequency 5g, should I enable both with same ssid? Thanks ahead!