OpenWrt support for Cisco Aironet 1602

Hi guys,
I recently discovered openwrt and I wanted to start doing some tests.
I have got some old Cisco Aironet 1602 but I haven't seen them in the
userguide.
Before installing can someone tell me if they managed to use openwrt and which release?

These are some informations about my device:

cisco AIR-CAP1602E-E-K9 (PowerPC) processor (revision B0) with 187386K/74672K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FGL1808S2KP
PowerPC CPU at 533Mhz, revision number 0x2151
Last reset from power-on
LWAPP image version 8.5.171.0
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 802.11 Radios

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 18:E7:28:35:D3:B3
Part Number : 73-14508-04
PCB Serial Number : FOC18035BJP
Top Assembly Part Number : 800-38553-01
Top Assembly Serial Number : FGL1808S2KP
Top Revision Number : A0
Product/Model Number : AIR-CAP1602E-E-K9

Thanks a lot
Bye
Willy

If it's not here, it's not supported.

Most devices are OpenWRT or LEDE based, even those not officially supported by OpenWRT.

Enterprise grade devices such as those from Cisco, Fortinet, Juniper, Cyberoam... are nowhere to be found in the supported list, which means nobody has the time nor interest to port OpenWrt to these devices. These devices always come with advanced features already unlocked and ridiculous chips without open source driver.

You can safely assume that these devices can never run OpenWrt.

This AP no longer works with any controller because it's firmware is "light APP" and is very old, so my idea is to change it and install openwrt to run AP in standalone mode.

If all this is not possible I have no hope of reusing this device.

Best regads
Willy

This can be done using the old firmware from Cisco, I think I have a copy of you need it. You need to set up the UDP server I believe it’s called. I would need to get out my notes. Be I acquired an old 1600 series Cisco AP, This is an access point, added) can still be configured as a router and wanted to domesticate it. Not sure all the work was worth it. Takes many hours of trial and error. Getting static IPs setup from your home router, then I hope you know your terminal commands. It all came back to me, after several days. I’m impressed with the power of these old devices, and how crappy new wireless routers are. You’re lucky if a new wireless router from your cable company will give you 40 feet. Anyhow contact me if you want the details.

2 Likes

Can you explain in detail how to proceed? I also have an old 1600 series AP and would like to try to get it to work.