OpenWrt Support for Banana Pi BPI-R3 Mini

You cannot use SinoVoip stock firmware to write OpenWrt to NAND. The reason is that the NAND flash layout (hardcoded in the device tree) on SinoVoip firmware is different from that OpenWrt uses (because OpenWrt uses UBI, SinoVoip doesn't).

I re-read your instructions and started from the beginning and now I have OpenWRT on both NAND and eMMC. I added Gix comment from post 16 and 20.

Thanks for your work on the R3-Mini, @daniel, and thanks @Gix for your support.

1 Like

It would be interesting if you can test a high speed NAT upload scenario to see if you also encounter a limit (as I described here)

Continuing my tests with high speed connections and looking for OpenWRT alternatives, I installed Arch Linux on eMMC. Until I find out how to properly configure the wireless part, I tested download and upload using eth ports with the nat scenario. And the results show there is no obvious speed limit in this case for the upload test. The conclusion is that something is not working properly inside OpenWRT. @daniel Can you give me some advices on how to detect where is the problem? It's really a shame not to be able to use the full capability of this device with OpenWRT.

It's probably just the newer kernel version of Archlinux compared to OpenWrt. I will try to reproduce this issues later today, I'm working on a related report on another device.

1 Like

You have probably already take this in consideration, but it looks like both ethernet interfaces and the USB3 connection to the PCI interface are all using the first CPU and only one CPU.
Have you tried to move the ethernet interfaces to an other CPU?

Hi @daniel
Do you know how to access the usb_ngff_pins? They are not visible in cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio.

Strange things happened. Today I made new tests with OpenWRT vs Arch Linux and to my surprise the previous problem with upload speed limited on OpenWRT manifested now only via wireless, and also Arch Linux showed the same issue. In other words, I managed to configure 802.11ax and 160Mhz channel in Arch Linux and observed the same limited upload speed over wireless. With OpenWRT, the client adapter driver (in Windows) listed pretty good connection speed in the 1800-2400Mbps range for both rx and tx but the upload speed never exceeded 200Mbps, while a LAN connected client was capable of uploading over 700Mbps. I also tried a 80Mhz channel, no difference. I tested with hardware NAT enabled or disabled, no difference (besides the obvious increase in the CPU consumption). I don't know how to configure hardware NAT offloading in Arch Linux so in this case the traffic was all handled by the CPU, however the same issue with a slow upload over Wifi was present, while using Ethernet it worked just fine. I also tried the latest wireless firmware (202404...) with both OpenWRT and Arch Linux but there was no change.
I don't know why my previous tests with iperf3 over Ethernet were so misleading but I suppose Windows OS used on my clients is to blame for these results (that's why I asked for confirmation from other users, as I suspected something wrong from my side).
But in the wireless situation, however, I replicated this issue every time. Could it be a wrong configuration from my side, a missing setting?

Thanks for adding support to OpenWrt!

Do you think it makes sense to backport the patch to 23.05 or should I just wait for the next stable release?

I've just installed a new freshly compiled firmware. It seems the wifi upload issue is finally gone :+1::

O also tested internal network transfer between ethernet (1Gbps) and wifi, works fine in both directions, 70-80 MB/s during file transfers.
Many thanks to the developers!

1 Like

Hi, I am looking for a travel router ("inspired" by the recent TunnelVision CVE).

This device seems to be a good fit (small in size, can support mobile network, powered by usbc PD). But I have some (noobish) questions:

1. Does OpenWrt support M.2 4G/5G modules? In their wiki, they listed these models:
    4G LTE EM05, 5G Quectel RM500U-CN/RG200U-CN and RM520N-GL/RM500Q-GL Series
  2. If OpenWrt can use these 4G/5G modules, can I use 4G/5G as WAN?
  3. Can I use a public WiFi as WAN? Or specifically, is this guide applicable to this model?

Hi
I use the Mini with a Fibocom FM350-GL modem as a WWAN interface.

If you add a 4G/5G modem to the Mini then I recommend to use, at least, a 30W power adapter.

1 Like