OpenWrt Snapshot cifsd Issue

I am having a strange issue with cifsd in my network. I am using two routers connected through a LAN cable in the same LAN zone. Both routers (HomeHub 5A & TpLink W8980) are running OpenWrt r11563, compiled as of a few hours before. If I run cifsd on my main router (HH5A) I can access the files just fine everywhere in the LAN clients.

I am originally using the file server on my 2nd router (W8980, IP=192.168.x.254) and it was working fine with Samba before but with cifsd it doesnt show up anything and I cant even access the files if I try to create the shortcut to the server in Windows. Nothing shows up in any of the LAN clients anyway.

Any thoughts here?

Edit: Forgot to add the config files:

HH5A:

[global]
	netbios name = HomeHub5A
	server string = Cifsd on OpenWrt
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	interfaces = br-lan 
	bind interfaces only = yes
	ipc timeout = 8
	deadtime = 15
	map to guest = Bad User

[TMP]
	path = /tmp
	read only = yes
	guest ok = yes

TpLink W8980:

[global]
	netbios name = TpLink-W8980
	server string = Ahmar's NAS
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	interfaces = br-lan 
	bind interfaces only = yes
	ipc timeout = 8
	deadtime = 15
	map to guest = Bad User

[data]
	path = /tmp/data-hdd
	valid users = cloud
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777

[torrents]
	path = /tmp/data-hdd/common-data
	read only = yes
	guest ok = yes

Update: Kernel Panic

Kernel panic - not syncing: stack-protector: Kernel stack is corrupted in: cifsd_auth_ntlmv2+0x48c/0x4bc [cifsd]

As it turns out cifsd is also crashing on a HomeHub 5A that I manage remotely and I also flashed it today with the compiled firmware. Now I have disabled cifsd for now and installed samba36 to access the files. Will have to wait for it to be fixed.

Yes cifsd is rather new and not all platforms are fully tested, so bugs/crashes are to-be expected. I think arm/mips/x86 is what was mostly tested and should work fine.

If possible open a issue directly on the devs git: https://github.com/cifsd-team/cifsd

1 Like

This is a big endian issue. Upstream needs to be informed. I helped them solve most of the bugs but some still remain. They don’t really test big endian devices.

1 Like

I have submitted an issue here but it has already been noticed because of folks in favor of removing samba36.