OpenWrt setup as some kind of relay

Hi,
I want to use my OpenWrt to relay / extend my network, both thru LAN ports (I dont need WAN) and Wifi.
My main network is 192.168.0.0/24, I want to plug the router either by WAN or LAN port, so he could create a Wifi network relaying DHCP to my DHCP server. Wifi address should be in same network.

I've read the relayd setup but I'm not sure at all it could used for that.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

Any opinion ?

Thanks.

relay is usually for passing dhcp from one subnet to another.

if you want the same network ( easier )... then just disable dhcp on it... give it a static ip ( on your lan range ) so you can get to it.... and plug into upstream via a LAN port...

i think they call that a dumbAP...

2 Likes

A wired connection is straightforward, the configuration is called a dumb AP. Basically there is one network inside a dumb AP, and it has direct access to all the resources offered by the main router without doing any routing or firewalling of its own. This is called a bridge not a relay.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try that.
It's to replace my good old WRT-54G under DD-WRT :slight_smile:

What version WRT54G do you have?

You won't get good performance on most all models. I hope you mean that you're removing it from production.

1 Like

I also had one device setup to extend WiFi signal coverage. It's very straightforward

• Edit /etc/config/wireless to set AP SSID and password
  • Edit /etc/config/network to set a static IP address for lan and option disabled 1 for wan
  • Disable DHCP service by /etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable
  • Disable DHCPv6, IPv6 NDP etc. by /etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
  • Disable firewall by /etc/init.d/firewall disable

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.