OpenWrt Router model that support 10Gbps?

So... you mean,
there is NO 10Gbps OpenWRT device?

AMD64 / x86_64

But then why would you run OpenWrt at 10Gbps rather than a full distro?

Not to mention, Chelsio and other 10GigE drivers probably aren’t compiled by default.

2 Likes

There is https://shop.compex.com.sg/hk01.html but not sure where OpenWrt will run on it.

SoC systems are likely to struggle to handle bandwidth in excess of 1 Gbps, be it WAN or LAN. Probably requires something of min. 4-core CPU @ 2.5 Ghz and proper RAM, notwithstanding the mainboard bandwidth.

Full distros often ship in 2 flavours - desktop or server - neither dedicated to routers. Server flavour mostly lack support for Wlan drivers.

2 Likes

First of all, kinda latest PC motherboard (like ASUS Rampage VI Extreme) have 10Gbps on board by default which can be connected to openwrt router device. (not the full function PC base openwrt device.)
And second of all, as my needs(space to put and home network configuration),
need to communicate 10Gbps between OpenWRT base router device. (That mean the OpenWRT FULLY fulfilled my needs always. not other combination.)
So....
do you know any of 10 Gbps LAN support OpenWRT support wifi router base device?(price doesn't matter).

okay..thanks...mean that....your the reference link is seem that not...a..full package commercial product...lol.
Ok...so...a 10Gbps lan router is not ready for consumer than...physically...right?
Sigh....
Thanks..

This is something of an oxymoron. There’s no routing on a single network segment. That’s why “switch” was mentioned prior.

Being sold makes it kind of commercial, it is perhaps just lacking a casing a that makes it suitable for instant deployment by the end user. Whether it runs OpenWrt is another matter though.

There might be other products with the required feature but with proprietary OS only and not OpenWrt.

Thank you for the information.
(As bit overacting, :wink: )Without OpenWRT,
all those products are rubbish to me. Since, seriously I can say, OpenWRT is revolutionary item for network.(but will keep in mind the prodct line up, thanks!)
By the way...any of you guys have idea to put OpenWRT on the Netgear 10G router( aka XR700)?
Have all you guys a good rest of day.

Maybe I am missing something but don't see the wisdom of a single 10GbE lan port in the router, unless for upstream connectivity which in turn requires SFP+/10GbE too (notwithstanding such bandwidth being provisioned by the ISP).

Else there is either one router client that can enjoy 10GbE or it requires a switch to spread that bandwidth amongst many clients.

1 Like

For posterity since it is proprietary OS and single 10GbE lan port

Like mentioned earlier - demands on the hardware for this sort of bandwidth processing

• 1.5 GHz quad core processor
  • DDR 32-bit memory

The Compex hk01 board even has a 2.2 GHz quad core processor and the XR700 comes with 1.7 GHz quad core processor

1 Like

Unsupported, it's basically a rebadged Netgear Nighthawk r9000, with the proprietary DumaOS GUI/ QoS tacked on top. While WLAN should be supportable in the r9000/ xr700, the SOC is a big problem. While Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-514 is a fast quad-core ARMv7/ cortex A15 SOC, there is virtually no support for it in upstream linux (just enough to get a serial console) and apparently no further work on merging it mainline. With the r9000/ xr700 being (almost) the only devices using this SOC, there haven't been any efforts of working on it.

3 Likes

That would be QCA IPQ807x, which isn't supported yet either - and while it will take a while to materialize (both for the IPQ807x SOC support and ath11k/ 802.11ax WLAN), there is a chance for OpenWrt support in the future (but probably in the order of months/ ~a year). I doubt that many consumer devices will pick up the 10 GBit/s option though, most will probably settle for 2.5/ 5 GBit/s at most instead.

2 Likes

Just makes one wondering what they are selling the board with to operate, considering the price tag, short of writing an OS or forking something existing.

Operating System Qualcomm Reference Firmware

For other boards it is mentioned

CompexWRT or OpenWRT/LEDE

Qualcomm is providing their (mostly) proprietary QSDK (which is derived from an old (~15.05 vintage) OpenWrt base) with an old kernel 4.4.60 (4.4.184 would be the current 4.4.x LTS kernel) and proprietary drivers to their licensees.

3 Likes

@Mitchell

The Solidrun Clearfog Pro is a supported OpenWrt device and has been for some time. It offers 10Gb SFP support.

https://www.solid-run.com/product-tag/clearfog-pro/

Another option that others have recommended is a 10Gb switch. One of my favorites is the Mikro-tik CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Both of these options are a low cost way of getting your feet wet into 10Gbps ethernet. Of course you will also need 10Gbps NIC in devices connected to it, but there are low cost solutions for those as well.

Happy hunting.

EDIT -- Screenshot showing Clearfog support in the OpenWrt build menu.

Clearfog

2 Likes

Wow..I love all you guys(that OpenWRT gurus).
Many thanks!

@davidc502 Special thanks! I will look into your solution seriously(include custom build).

Hopefully, many manufacturer support 10Gb base OpenWRT sooner.

Have a good day guys.

We may see wide adoption of 2.5gbE consumer Ethernet before 10 gbE. Just a thought because with the x570 AMD boards that were released today, many have 2.5gbE as well as single 1Gig ports. Also, some high end consumer boards do have 10Gig though.

1 Like

Sadly I wouldn't be that optimistic. Yes, some top end boards are slowly going beyond 1 GBit/s, but the infrastructure side (routers, switches, connectors) of it is still worse. Yes, some top-end routers are slowly gaining 2.5/5/10 GBit/s ports - but in almost all cases only a single one and switches are in price regions that simply aren't affordable on a home&hobby budget (optical is slightly cheaper). Considering this price level, I wonder why anyone bothers about 2.5 or 5 GBit/s - switches and ethernet cards aren't significantly cheaper than their 10 GBit/s equivalents (actually harder to get); the only real 'advantage' for them is compatibility with older cabling that doesn't quite make the cut for 10 GBit/s.

Don't get me wrong, I want throughputs beyond 1 GBit/s - but when I'm looking at the prices, there's no compelling reason not to go with 10 GBit/s; respectively to stick to 1 GBit/s for now until stuff gets affordable.

3 Likes

10Gb/s on general class CPU with Linux\BSD kernels is hard to achieve even on Xeon systems, you need some special chips, like ASIC for this. In short it is because of limitation of RAM access delay, architectire of whole system which was not done for realtime applications. Better (reliable and cheapest) way is to go with L3 switch. Another option for fast routing is VPP (Vector Packet Processing Data plane) to do it on Linux you can check this https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/wiki/Alternate-forwarding-planes:-VPP I'v never tried it but you need some 2.5-3GHz CPU for this.
Here is nice post written by guy from PfSense for better understanding (not for BSD vs Linux or so) https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/6upchy/can_a_bsd_system_replicate_the_performance_of/

3 Likes

The wisdom in at least to have a 10G capable router/switch is that it's future proof. When renovating a house. Why not pull OM3 cables. I know that in the states a lot of house have a wooden construction and pulling cables afterwards can more or less easily be done. In Europe most house are in brick and partially concrete. So planning in advance is a good thing. My layout is ISP <===>Dir-860 B1<==> TP-S2424P and every port is used on the TP. You can see that the bottleneck is the DIR-860.
Of course devices with a 10G uplink let you easily devide the bandwith with lesser cables.
Mikrotik is a 5 port switch that have 10Gb.

1 Like