OpenWrt router for 1Gbps?

sorry i found the answer- your setup exactly as i said:

But since you insist, here's performance of an IPQ4019 (EA8300) connected to the upstream server over a gigabit link to the WAN port, being fetched by a client of the LAN side of the OpenWrt router. NAT and standard OpenWrt firewalling is in effect. No "flow-offload" or other similar features have been enabled.

1 Like

This is a much better data point and certainly worth exploring. Does the EA6320v3 always run with its nominal frequency or does it do frequency/power scaling like the R7800? In that case it would be interesting to see how this performs with the performance governor.
Have a look at https://forum.openwrt.org/t/speedtest-new-package-to-measure-network-performance/24647 for a speedtest to run on your router that will also look at the frequency to some degree.

1 Like

suffice to say that even on a laptop there is a noticeable difference in performance when using performance vs ondemand governor

Good to know. The question driving my post was does the router model support different governor's/frequency scaling and do both OEM and OpenWrt firmware default to the same settings?

suffice to say that even on a laptop there is a noticeable difference
in performance when using performance vs ondemand governor

Good to know. My question primarily is does this router allow frequency scaling/power saving, if yes what are the defaults for stock OEM firmware versus OpenWrt?

Sadly it's not something i can test any longer as both routers have now been sold on.

I tried 3 different snapshots and it was the same every time , My friend was not going to put up with losing over 50% in speed and had enough and i was equally fed up with amount of time i was wasting testing so many routers to always end up with slower speeds than original stock.

An odd characteristic of the EA6350 with openwrt ( and the reason why i said download a big ISO in real life ) is that it would start at a higher speed for the first few percent of a download and then drop to 200mbps and just stay there , it was exactly the same with every snapshot i tried.

None of the routers on stock firmware showed this characteristic and stayed close to full speed for the entire download?

Any reason why no one is recommending Jeff's 900Mbps EA8300 too ajoeiam?

Well, you ruled out x86 in your initial posting, unlike @ajoeiam, And he initially asked for a router that can directly connect to the fiber.
Also at Gbps rates, if one wants to actually do more than just NAT and fire-walling, x86 (and potentially mvebu) seem to be the only game in town (especially in the light of traffic shaping)*.
So in short, x86 seems future-proofer than EA8300, as @jeff wrote (https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-router-for-1gbps/42519/41?u=moeller0)) it really depends on

Finally nobody, including @jeff recommended the EA8300 unconditionally for Gbps-links, it was more about the claim whether under specific conditions it could sustain ~Gbps routing performance.

Best Regards

*) There are different opinions on whether at Gbps traffic-shaping is actually helping that much, but if one wants to maintain the capability to traffic shape at Gbps rates a suffieciently powerful CPU is required. Personally, I see traffic-shaping as still useful even at Gbps rates, but I admit to bias in this matter.

There seems to be a running theme on this forum of people having imaginary conversations?

"Rather avoid if i can" isn't ruling anything out if it can't be avoided , it's just a reference pertaining to what is “ least preferable ” due the extra clutter in the living room...

Yet another imaginary conversation when i specified real life.

People buy a consumer router and plug it into the wall and the internet and use it and can see in real life what speeds they get as throughput.

People convert a consumer router to openwrt then plug it into the wall and the internet and use it and can see in real life what speeds they get as throughput.

So can we all cut out the hypothetical imaginary BS under certain conditions crap and get to real life by using a router at stock settings as the starting point and ball park figure of throughput?

There are two types of people that race a quarter mile Dragstrip , those that actually get in their car and put real times down and then their are the BS lying type that put their car on a rolling road with a laptop plugged into the engine management and try to pass off fake numbers as racing the strip in real life.

The fantasizing of hypothetical is moronic and idiotic to the point of being cringeworthy and embarrassing , sorry if people can't handle a straight shooter but someone needs to call out the BS.

So, let's summarize (and be realistic):

MT7621 will do at least Gbit one way if you use hardware acceleration however you can't use QoS/SQM and there are reports of instability while it seems to work "fine" for others. If you don't use hardware acceleration it'll do ~ 500mbit, you should also keep in mind that it's MIPS while most "high-performance" platforms are ARM or x86-64.

IPQ4*** "should" do Gbit (one way) under "normal circumstances" however performance will drop considerably if you add WLAN and/or VPN to the mix not to mention QoS/SQM.

IPQ8*** wont do Gbit due to driver issues however the hardware itself should be able to handle it fine but there are no news about the driver being improved/worked on within a reasonable timeframe to my knowledge.

mvebu will do Gbit (at least upper end) more or less both ways however not when using QoS/SQM and/or VPN or WIFI at the same time.You "should" be able to pull it off if you get Solidrun ClearFog GT 8K but it's not supported by OpenWrt (yet). https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1646

That said, in terms of pricing and performance you might as well look at x86-64 if you're looking at the ClearFog GT 8K and since the hardware will be more powerful you might want to consider a distro that isn't as focused on binary size depending on your requirements.

4 Likes

OMG! , at last :grinning:

Thanks Diizzy for taking the time to post all the information , i now understand and feel better informed of the current status of the OpenWrt project.

I'll keep a look out in the future for your forum posts as i respect people like yourself and @bill888 that get straight to the point. :+1:

Well, you asked "why no one is recommending Jeff's 900Mbps EA8300" and I gave you two reasons, both completely orthogonal to your unfortunate experience with OpenWrt in default settings on a different (but similar) SoC/router. I am not sure what you imagined our conversation to be about...

Understanding the difference between sarcasm and a genuine question is what i expected. :grinning: :+1:

@diizzy has eloquently answered the topic from a realistic perspective so there is nowhere else to go with this.

Thanks

Apologies for stepping into what appears to be a huge pile of excrement but - - - - questions from a noob!

I have been turning ideas every which way but as soon as I want to have a router (or something functioning as one) where I can have GBit optical fiber (or faster) input I'm quite stymied!

I can put together something with a mobo (slightly older and something like a i5-3470 and the parts (mostly used) are going to run me $200 USD (pardon if I'm not working to the penny but shipping etc there will likely be added charges). I can find a refurbished box for around the low $300 CAN line or just a little more in dollars but its been a complete system for a while so likely better longevity (my guess - - - please). So if I add a 16 GB or thereabouts SSD (or equivalent) and then 2 single port optical GBit
PCI boards I'm upping my costs by about $100 usd. So totals around $325 to 350 usd to maybe $50 more than that.

Well - - - - the Macchiatobin single shot comes with 2 - 10 GBit optical and ready to rock for around $310 usd (shipping - - - could drive that up an easy $20 as many of these companies use their shipping as a serious profit center!). So I'm getting a lower power consumption setup for about the same $$$.

So how does the routing processing speed compare between the Marvel 8040 running at 1.6 GHz and 4 cores compared to a i5-3470T running on 2 cores (I think that's at about 3.2 GHz or so but don't quote me on that - - wry smile!)?

I'm seeing that over the long haul power consumption is going to favor the Macchiatobin easily.

If more processing power is needed for another $100 (or so) a double shot then ups the 8040 to 2.0 GHz (if that's needed).

So - - - - over to you'll (you're the ones with the experience at the behind the bezel stuff (not me for sure!)) - - - - - suggestions - - - - criticisms - - - - bricks bats or flowers - - - (just something - - - please).

(If this is something that should have its own topic - - - please advise - - - - will shift it.)

Over and out

1 Like

Apologies for stepping into what appears to be a huge pile of excrement
but - - - - questions from a noob!

I have been turning ideas every which way but as soon as I want to have
a router (or something functioning as one) where I can have GBit
optical fiber (or faster) input I'm quite stymied!

There are several different kinds of optical fiber, e.g. single or Multimode and there are different kinds of connectors and even wavelengths used by different optical systems. If you want >= 1 Gbps inside your home only, this is not going to be a big issue as long as you select matching compatible gear, but for your WAN side you either use your ISPs "madia-converter/bridge" or you talk to them to figure out what you need to be able to talk to their optical equipment.

I can put together something with a mobo (slightly older and something
like a i5-3470 and the parts (mostly used) are going to run me $200 USD
(pardon if I'm not working to the penny but shipping etc there will
likely be added charges). I can find a refurbished box for around the
low $300 CAN line or just a little more in dollars but its been a
complete system for a while so likely better longevity (my guess - - -
please). So if I add a 16 GB or thereabouts SSD (or equivalent) and
then 2 single port optical GBit
PCI boards I'm upping my costs by about $100 usd. So totals around $325
to 350 usd to maybe $50 more than that.

Well - - - - the Macchiatobin single shot comes with 2 - 10 GBit
optical

That board comes with 3 SFP+ cages, so it is quite likely that you could get a compatible module for your ISP from e.g. www.fs.com, but that might not be all too cheap.

and ready to rock for around $310 usd (shipping - - - could
drive that up an easy $20 as many of these companies use their shipping
as a serious profit center!). So I'm getting a lower power consumption
setup for about the same $$$.

So how does the routing processing speed compare between the Marvel
8040 running at 1.6 GHz and 4 cores compared to a i5-3470T running on 2
cores (I think that's at about 3.2 GHz or so but don't quote me on that

• wry smile!)?

I would bet my money on the i5 being faster, but I believe the more relevant question is rather whether the cheaper option might not be fast enough for what you want to do with your router. See https://lwn.net/Articles/629155/ for how hard life can get with 10Gbps Ethernet for small packets.... So neither of your options will be powerful enough for any arbitrary network load at 10 Gbps (the macchiatobins accelerators might help a bit if supported by the OS you will use).

I'm seeing that over the long haul power consumption is going to favor
the Macchiatobin easily.

If more processing power is needed for another $100 (or so) a double
shot then ups the 8040 to 2.0 GHz (if that's needed).

So - - - - over to you'll (you're the ones with the experience at the
behind the bezel stuff (not me for sure!)) - - - - - suggestions - - -

• criticisms - - - - bricks bats or flowers - - - (just something - - -
    please).

(If this is something that should have its own topic - - - please
advise - - - - will shift it.)

Over and out

Personally, I would look hard at what your ISP actually offers and select a router that is powerful enough for your immediate needs (and a bit on top for safety). So rather look at gear capable of sufficient performance @ 1 Gbps instead of going all in for 10 Gbps, as computers will keep getting faster.

Are you the only person using the router as one of the things that's putting me off a x86-64 setup is that it's not very family friendly.

Most problems with off the shelf routers can be solved by turning them off and on again , Even with a hard reset they only need to answer the quick setup guide. :grinning:

If you have to reboot a router frequently it's most likely a better idea to track down the underlying cause rather than ignoring it? :slight_smile:

It was just a reference to how redundant and hardened consumer routers are on stock firmware to non-technical users.

1 Like

Anybody tried to run Raspberry Pi4, on 1Gbps ?
I had it for one day, and tried to run SQM/Cake on my 300 mbps, and it was fine. CPU stayed around 6%. But never tested with 1 gigabit

Tested it just this week, see here: RPi4 routing performance numbers