OpenWrt Raspberry Pi 4B - slower WAN speed than on Archer C6 router

I have installer OpenWRT on Raspberry Pi 4B - rpi4.64-21.02.1-26962-1.0.6-10-r16325-ext4-sys.img - this is the latest image I have pulled off LUCI
My netspeed before was around 70 Mb/s when I was using Archer C6 as my router. Ever since I switched to Raspberry Pi 4B it dropped to around 50 to 40 Mb/s.

My setup is as follows

LAN connection via TP-LINK TL-PA8010P to Raspberry -> TP-Link Switch ->my PC
-> Archer C6 which is now my wireless Access point

puts up hand - although does not seem to be build related

this is the deciding factor (did not mention wan nic?)...

maybe try disabling eee other than that... you are slave to the ethernet-over-power / cabling / link contraints...

I am using i-TEC USB 3.0 as my WAN connection. Maybe I will try to swap the connections around, USB3 will be my LAN and Raspberry Pi's LAN port will be my WAN

you can try... but it's unlikely... do you get drops or errors on the LAN adapter?

ifconfig eth0 | grep 'packets:'

None

RX packets:125159 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:131213 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

1 Like

try...;

ethtool --set-eee eth0 eee off

or change the cable... other than that... i'm out of ideas ( not so familiar with powerline )
(try disabling / stopping sqm if it's running... doubt this is the issue but it has come up in the past - i set low defaults(used to?)... but that's for eth1)

I have done that already and rebooted. I have done it for eth0 and eth1

Cable is brand new. I am going to try to bypass Powerline later on but it means I have to run 6 meters long cable across my flat which is not practical.
Maybe Raspberry Pi is too "sensitive" for Powerline noise

yeah... if there are no errors or drops... sensitivity so to speak is done at the link negotiation stage... you could also try forcing 100Mb/s if its not at that already...

ethtool -I eth0 2>/dev/null | grep 'Speed:' | cut -d' ' -f2
uci show sqm | grep -E '(load=|interface=)'

I'll try it but for eth1 because that's my WAN

What's weird is that upload is much faster than download - latest test show 50 down and 83 up

I am not really sure what helped but this is my latest test and it's definitely an improvement over the past few hours https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=8ea2e67d-3fda-4157-b6bc-70845179b064

yeah... if you haven't touched any/many settings... looks like could be power line noise like a washing machine or something...

Washing machine is running now. Maybe I will have to turn it on every time I want to have better speeds :slight_smile:

1 Like