Openwrt patch apply for TP-Link TL_MR-3420 v3

Hello Guys,
I am new to openwrt development. It is for my personal project.
I have found a build patch (Link is given below) for TP-Link TL_MR-3420 v3 from a blog. I have gone through several documentation and also tried with official documentation but I failed to do.
Please guide me how to apply this patch.
Link -- https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2016-November/003782.html

A 3 year old abandoned patch will need considerable rebasing, in this case it also needs porting to ath79; as ar71xx is closed for new devices.

So, what do you suggest?

If you care about the device, you will have to invest some development work to get it updated to current OpenWrt master/ HEAD.

If no one cares enough to clean it up, port it to ath79 and submit it (again), it will never be supported - and it does not help that we're apparently talking about a 4/32 device.

Hello @slh,
My main aim is to make a strongswan road-warrior VPN server with no GUI interface. So 4/32 device is ok for this job. And I will remove the wifi and many other packages which is not necessary for my purpose.
What do you think, will it be sufficient??

That is an exaggeration at best, libopenssl1.1 alone weighs ~965 KB, strongswan -depending on your installed strongswan packages- at least 250 KB (more like ~800 KB on my own, not quite minimal, but neither excessive, installation) - that's before even considering the RAM requirements or looking into other reverse dependencies.

2 Likes

that's before even considering the RAM requirements or looking into other reverse dependencies.

Hmmm, good point.
I almost forgot about the other dependencies. How much other packages will consume. Please suggest.

More than you have available on a 4/32 device. I do use an 8/32 tl-wr1043ndv1 for random testing (including strongswan) and RAM is the major issue there, but I do have twice the amount of flash available, I wouldn't even dream about strongswan on a 4 MB flash device.

Getting OpenWrt to run within the constraints of 4/32 devices at all, without any 'optional' or 'advanced' features, is hard enough already (and a losing game, even in the short term).

Getting OpenWrt to run within the constraints of 4/32 devices at all, without any 'optional' or 'advanced' features, is hard enough already (and a losing game, even in the short term).

:sweat_smile:

Thanks for the information. I think I should drop the plan. And should go with Raspberry Pi Zero W for my project.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.