OpenWrt on Raspberry Pi 4

I've used raspberry pi 4 with TP-Link UE300 (before moving to intel nuc with proxmox) and it works just fine. Just remember there are no stable build for pi 4 yet as of 19.07.4 so you have to build images yourself.

2 Likes

Would you recommend Raspberry Pi 4 over edgerouter X? How comparable it is?

1 Like

RPi4 blows the ERX out if the water. It's perfect for your use.

1 Like

Go check out the community builds section of this forum. There's a very active community build for the RPi4 discussed there.

I'd probably forgo the second ethernet and just use the one ethernet along with a VLAN capable switch. Use one VLAN for LAN, another for WAN.

Fair enough, few people are suggesting not to go with Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenWRT since it cause latency when used with Usb 3 to Ethernet adapter. They are recommending RB450Gx4 than Edgerouter X or Raspberry Pi 4 on OpenWRT. I've been reading online that RouterOS on RB450Gx4 is enterprise grade, while OpenWRT isn't that comparable. In all honesty I just want to reduce bufferbloat while gaming with a fairly decent bandwidth. 200 Mbps up and down would do out of 300Mbps line I'm getting upgraded to next month. As they say, does it cause higher latency than I already have?

in my testing with the ue300, this is 1ms or so at most. This is similar to latency in electronic music instruments caused by MIDI packet sizes so not important to musicians playing in the same room as each other which is honestly about the most demanding latency situation that exists. It won't be relevant.

1 Like

Makes sense. Alright then, I'm going ahead and making the purchases. I really don't need an enterprise grade level of performance anyway, it's mostly for home usage. Just a fix on the bufferbloat would do for me. If the setup I mentioned above would work for what I'm looking for, I'll be more than happy. Plus it doesn't put a nuke on my bank account going Pi with OpenWRT. :stuck_out_tongue:

The main non-enterprise things in a RPi are the USB dongle and the power supply. Get yourself a good power supply and a case with a fan, run the fan on low voltage (a 5v fan on 3.3v) and you'll be good to go with no noise.

Getting these. I guess it's all official products from Raspberry itself?

seems like it

We had a wonderful launch RPI4 thread that got locked by whatever reason threads get locked after a year here, you can read it here. Many experiences and solutions to common issues.

2 Likes

This is worth it when you have such a brilliant community. I wish there was an active thread addressing the issues and fixes for RPi4 on OpenWRT.

Did everyone here see this?
5 Gbps Ethernet on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4

Your post was super helpful, why withdrawn?
@anon50098793

1 Like

if it's the solution then the thread closes and it disappears... and is of little use...

I also rudely hijacked based on the title...

Ah, I didn't know about that. I have removed your post from "solution" so I guess it'll be good to repost again.

1 Like

RPI4 RELEASED [fullthread] jrambo99

INSTALL windows and usb-wan-setup noneedtousecommunity works for any image ext4 squash
INSTALLNETWORK dhcpclient1
INSTALL slower explanation/s of how to connect usb and or install driver and add wan

UPGRADE strategies2

NETWORK dlakelan usb benchmarking
NETWORK m33x iperf benchmarking
NETWORK one nic vlan method link1 link2 link3 link5-externalblog

WIFI AC issues discussion
WIFI AC issues 20Mhz-and-country-tip link2-user-tasks
WIFI issues discussion client and server
WIFI 2.4Ghz AP workaround

FIRMWARE non-raspbian updating mk24

DISK benchmarks and some usb boot notes

CASESandCOOLING scroll down for temp graphs
CASESandCOOLING argonone control and i2c module setup
CASESandCOOLING official-pwm-fan

GPIO dht temp humidity via kmod-iio
RPi.GPIO finally someone gets it working

MISCCONTAINER systemd-nspawn-wip
MISCSWITCHES consumer-level-managed-switch-advice

USBc OTG SPECIFICS pi-forum

OVERCLOCKING thread1

2 Likes

What is hindering you in creating specific topics for specific problems?

Topics do not just disappear.

1 Like

'running' threads;

• foster a sense of community
  • declutter the forum when several people are likely to encounter similar issues in the short term
  • make relevant and/or associated information easier to find, especially for 'new' OpenWrt users... and in the case of the pi4... there are many...
2 Likes

Which is why it'd be a good idea to get the launch RPi4 thread opened indefinitely, not subject to this insane rule of threads getting closed if they don't have any activity for more than 10 days. For example, the auto thread close cut a conversation between some people at the end that was getting somewhere.

@tmomas would it be possible?

1 Like