OpenWrt mesh routers problems (Encryption, MAC address & Hostname)

This then must be an issue with luci as, if you know the mac address, it is a simple matter to manually get the hostname. It seems to be working here with 21.02, but then you are using a "pre beta" 22.03 that is not even officially available.

I might try the 1st release version that supports X5000R which is:
https://archive.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0/targets/ramips/mt7621/

If that does not work, then I might try the next one which is 21.02.1

Thank you.

What is wrong with 21.02.2? It is the current version with all the up to date patches.....

As I reiterate again for the 3rd time, the latest 21.02.2 Luci GUI is not working well with the
5GHz radio.

Here is the post I reported.

It is only affecting those who own Totolink X5000R routers.

A forum user was able to solve this problem by doing it the manual way.
That is editing /etc/config/wireless file.

I can't recall Luci's Associated Stations showing other than a '?' for host in Mesh Nodes in any version of Openwrt I've used since Mesh support was added.

I'd assume it was because Mesh is a layer 2 protocol, and Host I think exists in layer 3, however my networking knowledge is negligible, bordering on non-existent.

I edited the MAC address of each router's mesh node so that the last octet was 01,02 etc to match the number I used in the router's hostname, so that I could easily identify which mesh nodes are connected.

With my 2 * ZBT Z100A used at this time i have also host with ?

I don't even remember that there was anything else whatever the version of OpenWrt

1 Like

Let me get a better picture of your set-up

May I ask.....are you using 1 gateway router with OpenWrt firmware running connected to the internet?
And at the same time, the same gateway router is running mesh networking to another mesh node router?
Is this what you have?

Thank you.

Do you mind telling me, which release version you are running?
22.03 (i.e.= unofficial) ? or 21.02.2(official) ?

I use OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19380

Box Internet Lan <-- ZBTLINK Z100A --> WIFI 5GHz <--ZBTLINK Z100A --> Lan

I don't think it will help you, but as you asked:

I've got 3 x BT Hub 5A currently running 3 different builds of Openwrt. I think the oldest I'm currently running is a 21.x.

One provides my internet connection using its built in VDSL modem so is acting as the gateway, as well as running two mesh nodes.

I used to just run a single 802.11s mesh on it and on one other as a simple wifi link to a camera, but my current setup is a bit more complicated.

Currently, all three routers have 2 mesh nodes set up on them, one on 2.4ghz, and one on 5ghz, both using BATMAN-ADV protocol on top to avoid network bridge loops. Two are also connected by LAN cable and the third still connects through mesh only.

The reason for the complex setup is because 2.4ghz drops a lot because of neighbouring networks (my next door neighbour has at least 6 APs all linked by a mesh and I think a wifi extender) and 5ghz is unreliable on my router due to radar detection, and neighbouring networks.

1 Like

Just tried on 1 router flashed with official OpenWrt 21.02.1 and you see this is what I mean. See below.
Every time, I click on the Edit button, a red message: TypeError will appear at the top.

I did try the next earlier version 21.02.0, 5GHz radio only supports 802.11AC
not AX standard :person_facepalming:

Both versions 21.02.0 & 21.02.1, firmware does NOT display the true MAC address for 5GHz radios

Having all those mesh nodes running, you must be living in a Mansion............... :grinning:

I wish! No mansion here unfortunately, it is just the three routers, with two nodes on each so the third router can connect to either of them on 2.4ghz, and 5ghz in the hope that one wifi connection can pass traffic, when the channels become congested by the neighbour's access points switching to overlapping channels.

Was hard to set up and run Batman mesh in your routers?

A fair bit of copy and pasting plus a bit of trial and error.

However, someone has now developed batman support for the Browser UI.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/luci-support-for-batman-adv-testers-needed/

Ah....I recognize this guy, he is a YouTuber.
He did mention, that he going to have a video release out soon about Batman Adv.
That is super cool.

On a side note, do you agree that finding an unofficial tutorial about OpenWrt, OUTSIDE of OpenWrt's official website is scarce? Is the information available in the Old forum?

That new app didn't work for me at all.

If running can you post your config ?

Hi, please see my reply on the other Thread - I'd need a bit more information. Please also make sure that you are using the latest version. A package for installation can be downloaded from my Github

1 Like