OpenWrt installation on a ZyXEL GS1900-8

Thanks, that's something I didn't think about. Doesnโ€™t sound great, so I'll use a Raspberry Pi 4 as router then.

Hello,

I'm a bit of a noob, so I have flashed https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/realtek/generic/openwrt-realtek-generic-zyxel_gs1900-8-initramfs-kernel.bin and have this in the active image:
Flash Partition 0
Image Size 6095824 Bytes
Created Time 2021-10-21 19:37:20 UTC

What's the next step?

EDIT: now I can't access the webgui

Snapshots don't include the webui, you manually have to install it afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. How to do it?

First you need to finish the installation, by flashing the sysupgrade image over ssh (or serial console).

1 Like

I'm unable to ssh to the switch

Keep in mind that you can only connect over lan1 and using VID 100.

1 Like

I'm connected on lan 1, what's VID 100?

VLAN ID 100, you need to configure your client accordingly.

1 Like

great! I was able to have ssh connection, but now the password is not working!

if it's a new install, there shouldn't be a password.

1 Like

yes nevermind! now I'm on the Openwrt shell, how to flash the openwrt-21.02.0-realtek-generic-zyxel_gs1900-8-initramfs-kernel.bin ?

1 Like

@frollic @slh thanks for your help, I was able to flash the image. How do I get back to zyxel original firmware?

Hello,

Could someone explain me (with a configuration of /etc/config/network or whatever is needed) to allow access to the router other than through VLAN 100?

Thank you in advance for all the help you have given me.

That's just a matter of configuration, check the mini DSA guide in the wiki. I would do it in stages, first drop lan1 from br-wan (leave the others for step 1), then in a next step make lan1 untagged. Once you've done that, you can follow up towards your desired configuration.

The defaults currently applied for the realtek target do make sense, but they're not very user-friendly and a bit unfortunate (there are proposals to improve the behaviour, but those haven't been merged yet).

1 Like

Hi Bmork, Htooh,

Could you please provide me the patched binary?
Last time a compiled a firmware, I bricked my device with it... :slight_smile:
Thank you,

If you want to play it safe, get a 3.3V based(!) usb2serial adapter. That way you can flash the current release images safely and have all the debugging facilities at your disposal to counter basically any issue. These ZyXEL switches are easy to work with, three standard philips head screws, populated 2.54mm serial header - a buck on the usb2serial adapter, 2 minutes to open the device and boot the initramfs image, a few dozen seconds to flash, done.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will give this a try!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.