OpenWrt for OrangePi Zero2

Thanks
can I try on Cisco LS EA2700?
BTW I do have a couple of WRT54G2 that I am not using - since they are not booting, can I try them maybe the firware is bad on them and I can replace with openWRT?
How can I put OpenWrt on a router? thanks

WRT54G is now obsolete unfortunately. Ram and Flash are not sufficient for modern OpenWRT. There are older versions of OpenWRT that will run fine.

If they're not booting, but do turn on, you can recover via tftp using the serial console.

Alternatively, check the table of hardware for a device that suits your needs. If you only need an AP any of the supported Atheros / Qualcomm device will be far better suited than any single board computer. MT / ramips can be more challenging with wireless performance.
If you need routing as well IPQ4000 devices are good for 80mbs without much hassle and are inexpensive.

1 Like

Dude, read what's actually written in the answer....

Problem isn't wheather there are devices that will "do the job the same as the Rpi or even better", I'm sure there are (I haven't checked though), problem is, they also have to run OpenWRT.

OWRT makes the list shorter, and suddenly the RPi's the best device around, from a performance/price point of view, doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's still a fact.

If you don't, just don't buy it, whatever the reasons are ...

1 Like

Nope, not supported Broadcom chipset

To my knowledge, there is a collection of patches including wifi support here

1 Like

Thanks I will check!

To answer the opening post, I do have an H616-based board as well, but never had the time to backport the patches required to support it. Will take a look in the next few weeks if there is interest.

-w-

1 Like

That would be great. I would be happy if you can update. Thanks

I made a version for the Zero2 based on the patch from armbian. I don't have a device yet, if someone wants to, they can try. Compatible kmods in the zip.

2 Likes

Hi. I have prepared patches for the device. Hope this helps to add the device to the OpenWrt main branch.

2 Likes

Works great. Possible to add the wireless unisoc uwe5622 driver ?

Sorry, but I can't do the project right now. I'm not sure that I will be able to get the OrangePi Zero2 in the near future. It may be possible to purchase a TV box on the H616 processor, but it is unlikely that there will be the same Wi-Fi chip

2 Likes

Do you think your patches would work with https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/10/20/bigtreetech-cb1-a-raspberry-pi-cm4-compatible-allwinner-h616-system-on-module/

I don't have USB patches, but that's not a big problem, they're easy to add.
If you need some modules like MIPI or DSI, there is no confidence in their work. Only main functionality will work
The main problem may be in the RAM memory driver on SPL.
In the near future I will try to run on my tv box.

1 Like

with usb/ethernet/wlan support

1 Like

Many thanks for putting this together, but for some reason I can't get this to compile on Ubuntu 22.04. Any ideas?

'''

Applying /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi/patches-5.10/506-add-support-for-A100-mmc-controller.patch using plaintext: 
patching file drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c

Applying /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi/patches-5.10/507-Add-Allwinner-H616-.dtsi-file.patch using plaintext: 
patching file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h616.dtsi

Applying /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi/patches-5.10/508-Add-OrangePi-Zero-2-.dts.patch using plaintext: 
patching file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/Makefile
patching file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2.dts

Applying /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi/patches-5.10/508-arm64-dts-Add-sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2-device.patch using plaintext: 
patching file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/Makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 37.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/Makefile.rej
The next patch would create the file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2.dts,
which already exists!  Applying it anyway.
patching file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2.dts
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2.dts.rej
Patch failed!  Please fix /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi/patches-5.10/508-arm64-dts-Add-sun50i-h616-orangepi-zero2-device.patch!
make[4]: *** [Makefile:40: /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/build_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/linux-sunxi_cortexa53/linux-5.10.146/.prepared_5d611539152400cd1fb92ec7ce0649bb] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux/sunxi'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:11: compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/target/linux'
time: target/linux/compile#7.55#2.88#18.17
    ERROR: target/linux failed to build.
make[2]: *** [target/Makefile:30: target/linux/compile] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2'
make[1]: *** [target/Makefile:23: /home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/stamp/.target_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2'
make: *** [/home/pete/Downloads/openwrt-orangepizero2/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 2

I'm no kernel developer, but it seems that patch 508 is duplicated and the old one needs to be removed.

Also rt2x00_platform.h is missing from build_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/linux-sunxi_cortexa53/backports-5.15.92-1/include/linux.

After fixing those 2 things it builds.

Nice. I can confirm this works wlan and all. Many thanks