OpenWrt for Cisco C1111-8P - Is it possible?

Thought I’d waste some time and dig into this too, but all of the data/spec sheets are way over convoluted. CPU appears to be running at 1.2ghz for this model, listed as multi core but they don’t specify how many cores exactly anywhere I look. Can’t find anything more about the CPU. It appears to be quite the Frankenstein of a device, cause I’m seeing both Broadcom and Qualcomm listed throughout its various counterpart models. Broadcom for the DSL/VDSL and Qualcomm for the Wi-Fi/LTE.

The only thing you’ve got going for you is that it appears you can access the serial console via USB. Between that and breaking into the device to inspect the chips, you’re otherwise SOL on finding out any further information.

2 Likes

Would it be as simple as making a note of all the chip/sets within the Device, and provide that information so it can be supported, then configured accordingly.

All im asking is can this be tested, someone else must have one of these to play with, their not Gold.

No. Not that simple at all. You also need to understand all of the small engineering details. Like which GPIO pins are used for buttons and leds. How are each of the Ethernet ports mapped. How are the chips connected to each other, etc. what is the boot loader expecting? What is the flash memory layout? And a million other details.

And that is assuming that all of the chips are already supported in openwrt. If any critical devices are not already supported, writing drivers for them would need to be done, and/or porting the entire operating system and build system to be capable of running in a different hardware target could, as has already been stated, take years.

1 Like

Easily led, i understand :slight_smile:

We understand you're eager to keep using your device - I see reports of EOL and official support ending - but you need to realise the scope of your (re)quest. Your disdain for legitimate (and repeated) questions asked here suggests you are underestimating what's involved. To get a grip on what's needed, the following explainer has been written:

Give that a thorough read and ask yourself the same question again: how quickly and easily will your expensive piece of hardware gain OpenWrt support? Given you're looking at a business grade piece of hardware from a big player that has nothing to gain from opening up, I (along with most people here) suspect your chances are slim.

You linked to data sheets but none of them contain any useful info when it comes to porting. Even if they did, you'd need to open it up, share pictures, hook up serial, and poke at the hardware.

4 Likes

There are multiple previous threads about replacing iOS on Cisco devices.
They all end the same way - the boot loader is locked down tight to make absolutely certain nothing non Cisco ever runs on their devices.

And their hardware has all the quirks you can expect, custom chips crazy combinations of SOCs.

For any project to succeed you need a boot loader exploit before you can even get started. Cisco is very good at making sure there aren’t any

5 Likes