OpenWrt for 25Gbit Internet possible?

I am running Linux virtually, the NIC is recognized by the Kernel (VMXNET 3).

Did you install the drivers?

How can i install the drivers?

Try:

One way to get a (very?) rough benchmark for a specific OS's throughput is to run iperf3 tests between two sessions on the same machine, using the loopback interface. Since this takes the NICs right out of the equation, you get a feel for how the software behaves.

Here's what I see running OpenWrt 22.03.2 on a 4-core AMD Jaguar (apu2):

$ iperf3 -c 127.0.0.1 -P 8
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  5.42 GBytes  4.65 Gbits/sec

And on an AMD 3950x running Windows, but with '-P 16':

[SUM]   0.00-10.01  sec  22.5 GBytes  19.3 Gbits/sec

I did same test on the apu2 test using OPNsense a while back and if I remember right it was about 3x slower (!!!) than OpenWrt, something like 1.5Gbps.

1 Like

Can de drivers be included in the stick because when i shut down my Opnsense box i dont have andy internet connection

Please run iperf3 -c 127.0.0.1 and post results here to make router database - #29 by slh +/- some posts.

They can, through the online image builder, or by DLing them, and putting the IPKs on the drive.

1 Like

As soon the Box is running i make every Benchmark you want.
But from now a Linux NOOB like me try to the integrate this drivers.....

Where are theses packages to download from a Windows machine?
Or should i try the image builder. Because i cannot open the Pendrive in Windows.

Image Builder meant that? https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=22.03.2&target=x86%2F64&id=generic

And to integrate just write the package name?

1 Like

downloads.openwrt.org, then drill down to the packages of the release, and arch.

Should be, yes.

1 Like

You must be making a miscalculation. 25Gbit/sec on 1GHz is 25 bits/clock is ~3 byte/clock.

Worked. Just bootet the box. But no connection.
How to configure the interfaces?

/etc/config/network

1 Like

Im in but can i test if the interfaces are up and runnig ( Intel nic xxv710)?

LAN appears setup as eth0 into br-lan - is that one of your Intel NICs?

If so, just set up the others. Can you get an IP and connect to 192.168.1.1 via a web browser plugging into eth0?

If so, then browse to the network config in the web GUI and proceed.

Did you run ifconfig?

Sorry.

Screens are pictured from the phone.

I dont get an IP in the Lan.

I can run ifconfig.
Sorry for the pic.....

Did you install both iavf and i40e?

1 Like

Nothing will happen with an eth port unless it is referenced somewhere in /etc/config/network to start it up. So go ahead and define a wan interface around eth1:

config interface 'wan'
    option device 'eth1'
    option proto 'dhcp'

Run ip link show to see which one comes up when only one cable or transceiver is plugged in (ifconfig is deprecated). You may need to swap the port numbers to get wan on the correct one.

and since you may not even have eth0, the drivers may not all be there. Review the boot log (dmesg | more or dmesg | grep eth to see if anything started.)

Let me check....

kmod-i40e wasnt in the package.
Made a new one and reboot.

Now all drivers are in and i made the config.
No changes.

With the dmesg command im struggling because i cannot stop or search the List

1 Like

Theres no eth0 but the drivers loaded.
Found the fault.
Mounted a Intel 810 Da2

Exchanged it with the 710

I was doing 10Gbps which is kind of reasonable to expect a CPU to handle. That works out to 1200 cycles/packet and they're around 1500 bytes max. Yes if you multiply speed again by 2.5 you get your numbers.

In the end the point is just copying packets is a huge fraction of the full CPU/memory bandwidth at these speeds. That's why crazy fast 400Gbps core router will cost $300k or whatever and have custom ASICS that handle the packets.

1 Like