OpenWrt Firmware for Archer c6 v3.2

New version available 22.03.0-rc5

1 Like

Only one antenna of 2.4 ghz wifi is working on openwrt which is not the case with tplink stock firmware.i can reach -1 dBm on two antennas when stock rom is installed but On openwrt only one antenna is showing -1 dBm and other antenna is not even working .I think this is the cause for low signal strength in 2.4 Ghz on openwrt. I used app called wifiman to check wifi signal strength.also in tplink stock rom the white wire antennas are 2.4 and the black wire ones are 5 ghz, this also is mixed in openwrt rom which caused issues in adjusting antennas to desired angles.plz fix this issue in next update. Other than this rom is rock solid.thanks

On a Archer C6 V3.2 (EU) I flashed the 22.03.0-rc5 Archer C6 V3 file found here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0-rc5/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-22.03.0-rc5-ramips-mt7621-tplink_archer-c6-v3-squashfs-factory.bin

Using the built in Firmware Upgrade on the OEM firmware as instructed by the wiki.

Everything in the web interface seemed fine, both the install and reboot loading bars reached 100%, then the connection dropped, seemed normal enough, but I haven't been able to get either 2.4ghz or 5ghz working and have no way of checking to see if my flash worked and if wireless just needs some set up or if the router is totally bricked. Tried resetting without any luck, Can't seem to get into the recovery page at 192.168.0.1 (Not even sure if I am using the right method to get in, or if it is even possible in this router), and TFTP gets no communication at all with the router, no logs or anything in wireshark either. When turned on router simply lights up power LED, and the ethernet LED if I have a cable connected to one of the LAN ports. I can also get the WAN LED to light up by plugging in the wan, although I doubt the lights signify anything seeing as nothing works...

I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm fairly certain this is a firmware problem and that I managed to brick the router, but I haven't been able to successfully apply any of the general tp-link tricks or methods outlined in this very thread to revert to stock, I can't even communicate with the router... Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time using openWRT and I don't want it to be my last.

Thanks in advance.

I follow this topic because I have this router, but I also never installed openwrp. Have you tried this here?:

1 Like

Doesn't work for me sadly. 192.168.0.1 is not found when I set my settings according to the instructions. Running arp -a in cmd with the given settings doesn't show anything related to the router. Pinging 192.168.1.255 as a broadcast gives me nothing in response. The ethernet connection in control panel shows up as "unidentified network", not sure if that means anything. I will soon try with a more streamlined connection using a linux laptop which has it's own ethernet port. Right now I am using a usb to ethernet adapter and maybe that is causing some issues.

EDIT: Just tried arp -a on the linux machine, I get the following:

OpenWrt.lan (192.168.1.1) at b4:b0:24:91:ea:06 [ether] on enp1s0f0
OpenWrt.lan (192.168.1.1) at 78.96.82.38.8b.a0 [ether] on wlp5s0

The first one has the routers mac address, and I can ping 192.168.1.1 well. Tried connecting back up to the windows machine and opening 192.168.1.1 in browser, no luck, atleast it recognizes that OpenWRT is on the machine and I can ping it on linux. Will keep trying things.

Just Managed to ssh into the device at 192.168.1.1, confirmed openWRT install which seems to have everything expected. Firmware seems to be working fine actually, just need to setup the wireless settings? I have no desktop environment on the linux machine so I can't simply use web browser to access 192.168.1.1 and change settings from there. Is there any way to do something through ssh or simply through command line, or will I have to get a desktop environment?

You can do a lot with uci try "uci show" to see the settings

1 Like

Ok nvm, turns out nothing was bricked, I set my ethernet adapter to automatic in windows and now I can connect. I have managed to setup wireless as well. Thank you very much and I am very happy to use and learn openWRT.

Any solution for this issue?can anyone post iw list?

Do all these issues have to do with RC5? I'm thinking I've made the right choice not upgrading past RC4 and deciding to wait until 22.03 matures a little bit, maybe until 22.03.1 before reflashing OpenWrt.

Does the 5ghz work on rc4? I'm on rc5 and it actually worked initially and I managed to get some speedtests in, but now I can't get it working, not sure what changed. To clarify, I can't even access the LUCI from 5ghz, router is completely inaccessible, radio works however. Was able to do so initial though, about 2 hours ago.

For me 5 Ghz has been disconnecting after a few minutes on my main phone from RC1 to RC4 and on a snapshot from this month so I flashed stock back which holds connection flawlessly, hopefully the bugs will be sorted out in OpenWrt, all I could do was to give some specs on this thread. I've never flashed RC5.

Same Issue here with 5Ghz on RC5, what seems to be happening:

1. 5Ghz Auto Channel selection seems broken, shows "Channel ? (5000Mhz)" in LuCi
  2. 5Ghz Manual Channel setting often breaks showing a DFS error and failing to set up the interface
  3. Android devices disconnecting often
  4. Flaky speeds / Intermittent speed drop (Cant get more than 240~Mbits single stream/~490Mbits 5 streams over iperf3 with dumb ap, Client Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, link rate 780-866Mbits)

What seemed to help:
For Issues 1 & 2: Setting wireless.radio1.channels='161, 100, 40, 36' to give alternative channels when the DFS error occurs with uci. (This apparently does not work with LuCi)

For Issue 3:
Setting wireless.default_radio0.disassoc_low_ack='0' wireless.default_radio1.disassoc_low_ack='0' for both radios

Can you post iw list? In my case both radio0 and radio1 configured for same antenna.

Wiphy phy1
        wiphy index: 1
        Available Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3
        Configured Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3
Wiphy phy0
        wiphy index: 0
        Available Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3
        Configured Antennas: TX 0x3 RX 0x3

I can confirm that manually setting the MTU to 1500 helped me get over any loading website issue as I mentioned before.

Why remaining of the antenna is not showing up.both radio1 and radio0 are using same antennas (antenna 0x3).any idea what is 0x3 antenna means.in my case also both radio uses antenna 0x3.is this the cause for only one 2.4 ghz antenna to work?,only one antenna is working for 2.4 Ghz.any power saving features or something we should disable to work all antennas.any help is very much appreciated.thanks for the quick replyπŸ™‚

Never disable WMM, it's a hard requirement to reach wireless speeds over 54 MBit/s.

1 Like

Wifi physical turn on or off button working on rc5 ?

Can confirm it turns the device on or off as expected

Ok I have moved on to compiling an image from source and setting custom packages and options when compiling after making sure the rc5 LuCi build works well. When setting up the compilation options I target "TP-Link Archer C6 V3" and as far as I am aware this sets up the default required firmware and kernel modules for this router. Indeed, I was able to compile the image, flash it, and edit the /etc/config/wireless file to enable the two radios. Yet only the 2.4ghz seems to work, and poorly at that, it's led flashes constantly, and the 5ghz one is on permanently, I can only see the 2.4ghz on my windows machine, and when I attempt to connect, it stalls in some kind of loop, and I can't ssh using that connection (Ethernet works fine though).

Running logread I get the following at the start:

daemon.err procd: Could not find firmware /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7663pr2h.bin: No such file or directory

When I manually download this firmware from the repo and place it where it is supposed to go, I get other problems related to the 5ghz, not sure if it is relevant, but in any case I am currently focusing on trying to fix the 2.4ghz, oddly enough, there is no other warning or error message in my logs, radio0 and wlan0 start up fine, and at the end when I try to connect, I get the following loop:

daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA aa:2c:b4:82:d9:72 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA aa:2c:b4:82:d9:72 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: STA-OPMODE-SMPS-MODE-CHANGED aa:2c:b4:82:d9:72 off

This repeats indefinitely. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? This is my first time compiling from source but I made sure to do it properly and configure the options in the right order, in any case I am building off the same target that all the release candidates build off of, so maybe analyzing this problem will help fix some of the problems others have with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.