OpenWrt Firmware for Archer c6 v3.2

I installed back the TP-Link OM FW, then, OpenWRT 22.03.3 with config backup, no problems yet, everything runs just the same.

2 Likes

The sys upgrade from 22.03.02 to 22.03.03 worked fine for me. Has been running fine for 48 hours

1 Like

EDIMAX EW-7811UTC (8812AU) creates a random bug in OpenWRT if after loading it connect/disconnect several times within 5-30 minutes (sometimes more).
During such a bug, the ping does not work for 192.168.1.1, DHCP does not work.
Manually assigned IP sometimes works, but not for long time. Wireless connection to router Connect/Disconnect with a bug continues to work, but no internet.

Tested on 5GHZ, Windows10/11, Realtek drivers was updated.

I can now confirm that 22.03.3 still has the crash/reboot bug as described in Archer C6 on 22.03.2 crashes every ~3 days

Haven't experienced any crash like you said on my Archer C6 v3.2 US. I had a 13 days uptime on 22.03.2. Now I am on 22.03.3 and it has almost done 5 days uptime.

I just bought Archer A6 v3.2 and tried to install the OpenWrt factory image 22.03.3 and snapshot from Jan 14th for A6 and C6 without any luck.

You have managed to install OpenWrt on C6 v3.2 that has the same hardware as A6. Can you tell me what kind of magic tricks you have done to achieve this?

These questions should be directed at existing threads for the Archer A6, or in a new thread. Attempting to ask them here just causes confusion and risks nobody getting the right answers, either to the original question or yours.

Hi Guys, How did you do that?

I got the EU version 3.20, just installed from the OM Fw. Flashed the factory version and that's all. Use the FW Selector, search for "c6 v3.2" and download the file.

Hi,

There is no version c6 3.2 on https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/ :frowning:

Sorry, my mistake. I have the Archer C6 V3.20 EU and I used the C6 V3 Firmware. It's running good, no problems since 22.03.2, now 22.03.3.

@RaresC95, How have you originally uploaded it to the router overwriting the original TP-Link firmware?

By firmware upgrade using the tp-link stock interface, but instead of the TP-Link FW file I used the OpenWRT. After 2-3 minutes and one restart you have OpenWRT. Be careful, OpenWRT changes the IP address to 192.168.1.1 instead of the default 192.168.0.1.

@RaresC95 I have tried that approach, I hoped that there is another way that would work for me :frowning:

I will continue to find the way.

Have u tried with TFTP? Instead of the TP-Link FW try with the OpenWRT using the correct name. U have to find out what FW the router is asking. Install TFTP server on your PC, and, with it open and the pc connected only to the router, press the reset button on the router, power it on, then keep it press for more 5 seconds, after that, release it and u should get some information on the server logs, u need the file name that the router is asking, once u got that, rename the OpenWRT file exactly the same, repet the procedure and maybe the router will take the FW file from the server and install it. I DO NOT GUARANTEE that is safe for the router.
This is actually a recovery procedure among U-Boot, but, the recovery page comes up only if the router failed to boot normally, so, you can use only TFTP.
For example if u brick the router u can use the TFTP method to fix it, but, you can "call" it even if it is working. The router will search for the FW file for, u will get a message on the server telling you that one client is searching for a certain file named "***", u need the name, then, repeat it and maybe, not surelt, it will install it safely.

U got one tutorial here:https://youtu.be/54PAS0gvW2k
It it used for recovery but also can force installation of certain firmwares.

@RaresC95 I also tried that with holding reset for 6 seconds and even until WPS led started to flash. The router could not connect and leave logs on the tftpd64 running on my computer. I found somewhere that this might be caused by Windows not bringing up the ethernet interface fast enough.

Maybe using Linux will solve the issue? I successfully used windows 10 for this operation on other routers and it worked.
You can intentionally brick the router so you could get to the recovery page and upload the firmware there. The router will show a steady light on all LEDs and it will only be accessible through static IP. Set 192.168.0.2 as IP address and 192.168.0.1 as default gateway. Be sure u have the correct TP-link Fw before u do it in case the OpenWRT don't work so you can reinstall original Fw through web interface.
Acces the router at 192.168.0.1 and try it on multiple browsers, for me the page don't show up on Google Chrome, only Firefox and edge.
The page is a simple one with only "browse" and "upload". U can't go anything wrong.

BUT BE CAREFUL, on some cases even the recovery page isn't available depending on the "bricking level". Try bricking the router by installing a wrong firmware from other router, not by power off during install, the second ones are much bad and can result in a complete brick instead of a smaller one with web acces to recovery page.

Installing openwrt is very easy process.openwrt can be installed directly from tplink web interface.if it is not working then something is wrong.you can create a seperate thread for the issues.
Maybe this will help you solve the problem,check wheather sha256 checksum of your downloaded file matches with the checksum given in the download page of openwrt, if it is not matching redownload the file again and install.

@RaresC95, I am just planning to learn Linux by using OpenWrt :wink: so no chance right now. How I can "You can intentionally brick the router"?

@Magneto, for some reason, it is not as simple as it should be :frowning:
Checksum is correct:

but when I try to upload it via TP-Link software, then I get:

If the router can't boot normally, it will show a recovery page where you are asked to upload a FW image.
In general, the routers are bricked in 2 ways:

1. Power off during install firmware procedure.
  2. Wrong firmware, another router/wrong version

BUT, sometimes, if the router is bricked because of a power failure during the install procedure there are some chances that the recovery page won't show up, and, then you have 2 options: TFTP or opening the router to connect your PC via UART.
You can intentionally brick the router by install a wrong firmware file, another router version/another region version, after that, u will get the "boot fail" or "U-BOOT" page that will ask for a FW file. The same thing is happening when you have OpenWRT and try to install back the TP-LINK FW, it will fail and the recovery page will show up asking to upload the firmware, there u can upload any firmware, the OpenWRT again or the TP-link. It is the same if u have the TP-Link Fw and brick the router so you get the page where u can install any Fw like OpenWRT.