OpenWrt Based TalkTalk Sagemcom FAST 5364 Tinkering

Many thanks for sharing these instructions David. Is the best way to rollback the bridge to press the reset pin? Just asking in case I run into any issues.

The simplest way is to push the reset pin, this will remove the SSH access too of course. Off the top of my head, you could try the opposite commands to return to the usual NAT mode:

xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]" -d
xmo-client -p "Device/IP/Interfaces/Interface[@uid=2]/IPv4Addresses/IPv4Address[@uid=1]/Enable" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=1]/Ports/Port[@uid=2]/Enable" -s "true"

@DavidBrent
So im coming to the end of my contract and was wondering have you messed about with setting one of the port to a WAN DHCP and then bridge both Wireless and LAN interfaces?

I know downgrade back to 2600 would be a start to enable SSH

I think there’s a DHCP WAN port already configured as eth0 or Device/Ethernet/Interfaces/Interface[PHY6_WAN]. The xmo-client Bridges tree seems pretty flexible in creating whatever you want, here’s a few tips I learned along the way:

• Use brctl show to validate that your bridge is setup correctly.
  • Bridges are only populated when the port is up.
  • A port should be disabled from a previous bridge before adding it to another.
  • The first virtual port in the bridge tree is set as the ManagementPort and automatically populates the LowerLayers.
  • Otherwise you can add in the LowerLayers you’d like as the second, third, etc. ports.

So all in all, it’s seems possible to bridge anything to anything!

1 Like

its work for me thanks

A post was split to a new topic: Unbrick FAST 5280

Hi @DavidBrent, thanks for this.

I logged in, opened the developer console, and ran the command "$.xmo.setValuesTree(true,"Device/UserAccounts/Users/User[@uid=3]/RemoteAccesses/RemoteAccess[@uid=3]/Enabled")"
But it returns error >"XMO setValue request error: xmo.js? numbersandlettershere "Undefined (XMO_REQUEST_ACTION_ERR)" (16777236)"

The firmware version is the default one, SG4K10001400t, but I have no broadband set up yet as the engineer hasn't arrived.

I am also rather confused as I contracted faster fibre (which I believe must be VDSL, not fibre (unless the engineer comes and literally installs it, which I doubt).

Also, is there a way to connect before the going live date? We have no internet at the moment and only 4G.

I hope you are all staying safe, cheers OpenWRT gurus !

Hey there!

I've just re-tested on 1400t and that command definitely works for me. It won't on 2808t and above though which will be automatically pushed around 2am after you go live. Have you tested with another browser or after a pinhole reset on the back? Feel free to PM me a screenshot if you are still stuck.

If you've ordered Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) there is no engineer visit as the final delivery is over your existing copper wiring. Sadly you can't do much until go live, although sometimes this happens earlier than TalkTalk predict.

As an update, I now use my FAST 5364 purely as a bridged modem with a better separate router. It works flawlessly using the bridge commands above. Not quite the OpenWrt dream installation but a better setup than double NAT for sure.

Happy tinkering during lockdown!

1 Like

Hi David,

Sorry I am very new to this. I am trying to put this into bridge mode but cannot do due to the firmware. I don't know how to downgrade this to 1400t. Could you please send me some instruction to do this?

Best regards,
Webgurru

The links to 2600t are above which should behave the same. You can upload this file through the web configuration page (at http://192.168.1.1 by default) under Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Maintenance > Software Update.

Thanks David.

Hi,

I have successfully downgraded firmware and executed all of your commands given above. My main router IP scheme is 192.168.0.x while this talktalk router is on 192.168.1.x scheme. When I try to change IP address in DHCP to 192.168.0.55 it won't allow me to do so. I choose DHCP to off and it is asking me to give my DHCP IP pools. Whatever IP pool I choose from my new IP range 192.168.0.x, it is not accepting it. Could you please help me further to get this up and running.

Best regards,
Webgurru

The standard UI is buggy, so perhaps try doing it in stages? Or via command line:

xmo-client -p "Device/IP/Interfaces/Interface[@uid=1]/IPv4Addresses/IPv4Address[@uid=1]/IPAddress" -s "192.168.0.55"

(if you're really stuck, feel free to PM me a screenshot)

Hi David,

I have executed this command using the putty and while command was running putty gave an error network connection is reset. I thought IP is done and try to login using new IP 192.168.0.55 but no luck. I have restarted the router and now I cannot login using 192.168.0.55 or 192.168.1.1. I think it is stuck some where. Please let me know what to do now? Should I factory reset using PIN and redo everything or something else?

Best regards,
Webgurru

(we're probably a little off topic so you may want to take this discussion to the TalkTalk community)

That being said, it sounds like the router IP did change. Did you make sure the client machine you are on is on the same subnet? It you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and still with an IP lease starting 192.168.1 it won't route. You could set a static IP of 192.168.0.x to test this.

If it's completely unresponsive, pinhole reset is the fastest option to restore factory defaults.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think Talktalk community will help this.

I am on my laptop which is connected to my main network using Wifi with 192.168.0.x IP scheme. Wired connection of my laptop is connected to this talktalk router with static IP 192.168.1.x range. So I have acces to both IP ranges on the laptop, still I cannot connect to this router either using 192.168.0.55 or 192.168.1.1 IP address. I think pinhole reset will be the other option in this case. I will do this now, but is it possible for you to write a complete list the steps after rest to get connected this into my main network with IP scheme 192.168.0.x having gateway address 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0.

I'll appricaite your help in this regard.

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi David,

I have tried this four time now. Reset to factory default and did all the steps but no luck. I don't know what I am missing. I did all of these commands

xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=1]/Ports/Port[@uid=2]/Enable" -s "false"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges" -a
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports" -a
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Enable" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=1]/Enable" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=1]/ManagementPort" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=2]/Enable" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=3]/Enable" -s "true"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=2]/LowerLayers" -s "Device/Ethernet/Interfaces/Interface[PHY1]"
xmo-client -p "Device/Bridging/Bridges/Bridge[@uid=3]/Ports/Port[@uid=3]/LowerLayers" -s "Device/Ethernet/VLANTerminations/VLANTermination[VLAN_DATA]"
xmo-client -p "Device/IP/Interfaces/Interface[@uid=2]/IPv4Addresses/IPv4Address[@uid=1]/Enable" -s "false"

xmo-client -p "Device/IP/Interfaces/Interface[@uid=1]/IPv4Addresses/IPv4Address[@uid=1]/IPAddress" -s "192.168.0.55"

Could you please look into this and let me know where I am wrong.

Best regards,
Webgurru

Hi all,

I managed to access SSH with admin@192.168.1.1 and the router password, however root@192.168.1.1 and the password "root" doesn't seem to be right for me. (Also tried with the password for the router, didn't work either)

I have tried to run these

xmo-client -p "Device/ManagementServer/URL" -s ""
xmo-client -p "Device/ManagementServer/TR69InternalData/Settings/Port" -s 0

But I get a return error: unable to open XMO socket

Is there a way around this? Just got the internet setup and still on SG4K10001400t

You'll need to first login as admin, and then use the login command with username root and password root before issuing xmo-client commands.

1 Like

Hi David,

I am just writing to thank you on the guide you have provided.

I followed the steps and I was able to set the router to bridge mode successfully and without any issues using the configuration file method. Been working fine for about a week now!

You have saved me a lot of pain and suffering!

All the best.