Openwrt as qemu or lxc/lxd host in raspberry pi

hi folks, I'd like to use openwrt as qemu host in rpi3b+ or rpi4b
found this doc 'https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/qemu_host'
and tried to follow the instruction but there are no such pkgs in the rpi repos (stable or snapshot).
How can qemu be installed in this case? Will have to compile?
Does anyone have experience running qemu clients in openwrt in rpi?
Please advise.
Thanks!
NB: or suggest any other virtualization solution?
I do not want to install other host OS but openwrt. It would be the default gw for at least 1 client.
Client would be a raspbian desktop btw. I would like to use it as my travel system.
any help, hint are very welcome

found some doc to use lxc rather than qemu and there are pkgs in the stable repo. So I am collecting info and trying to implement this.
well, the big picture is to have an openwrt host as gw; use the wlan0 as wan and eth0 as br-lan; this way I hope I can hook up a thin vnc terminal to physical eth0 (br-lan) on rpi and a lxc rasbian destop client.
So the whole system would be headless and can be connected to external vnc client.
I will update this post as I progress.
Any one has such/similar working implementation on rpi?

ok, so I went through reading lots of doc and my project changed a bit after then.

1. had to build a new openwrt image with required kernel configuration
  2. installed the new 'snapshot' and it came up fine
  3. somehow rpcd did not run, segfaulted, so had to replace it, after then luci was installed and was able to start up correctly; wlan0 is the 'WAN' side and br-lan is used for the 'LAN' (green) side; set up zones etc; installed kmod-veth;
  4. installed the available lxc stack, although this is old (2.1.1) version
  5. decided to get ubuntu xenial installed in a new container
  6. edited ubuntu template, tweaked w rsync flags and 'LOCALSTATEDIR' settings
  7. created privileged container using the ubuntu template
  8. hacked together a working config file for the specific configuration
  9. after 2 days container is running fine

the next step is to recreate this project on rpi4b+
the minimal goal is accomplished, openwrt provides secure gw and host kernel for the container

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.