OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Service Release

if i already have 25.05.3 installed can i just update trough software on luci?

You can upgrade with a sysupgrade from LuCi, but be aware that default snapshots DO NOT have LuCI included, only custom snapshots have it if it's in the list of packages. Read this: Snapshot bricked Netgear WNDRMACv2 (WNDR3800)

Hi,

I've been following the progress on GSWIP for ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F1 but image building is disabled due to kernel partiton size. I think it happened after the transition to the new kernel version.

@Mijzelf

So far everything was fine with your patched u-boot. Is this related to the patched u-boot or is it something else?

I would be very grateful if you could give me some information.

It's releated in the sense that both have to do with the kernel size. u-boot loads the compressed kernel from a nand address, and the original u-boot only reserved 8MiB to decompress it to. The patched u-boot reserves 16MiB.
The problem here is that the size of the kernel partition in the dts file isn't large enough to contain the compressed kernel. Maybe the decompressed kernel also exceeds 16MiB, but I don't think so. When I patched u-boot the decompressed kernel was only slightly bigger than 8MiB.

Thanks, I'll give it a try soon.
Is it common for the power adapter to fail this way? I mean, I would understand the router rebooting itself because of a bad power source but, would that also erase the stored configuration that is saved on the flash?
I'll check if I can get a spare adapter to check.

I would like to ask when openwrt version 24.0 will be released

1 Like

Next year apparently.

Hi, I have just upgraded my cpe210v2 and my GL-AR300M to version 23.05.3. Fortunately, it all worked very well with sysupgrade. I would like to thank you for your efforts. I'm already looking forward to the next release.

Regards
Fuzzy

The key is kernel migration across the various targets. You can follow along at the link below. If you have the ability to help out with testing, that will help speed things along.

4 Likes

Current snapshots for ath79 are still on kernel 6.1. How can I test kernel 6.6 on them? I have several devices running 6.1 snapshots, doing just fine.

I'd like to mention a pretty amazing improvement: PPPoE performance with 6.1 went from 180 to 700+ Mb/s with software flow offloading enabled.

2 Likes

You can copy firewall4 hashes from main to 23.05 branch and gain same boost on 23.05.3, lets hope it gets into 23.05.4

Thanks for informations.

I guess you don't have the P-2812 anymore. So, if there is no one interested like you, it looks like we will put the device on the shelf.

Looking at other devices for the lantiq/xrx200, I hope the P-2812 can continue its OpenWrt life.

For any of the targets listed on the page above where the current state is '✓ as testing' (ath79 is one of those), you need to build your own images. This is detailed at https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/toolchain/use-buildsystem . Once you have a build system set up, you run make menuconfig and select Global Build Settings -> Use the testing kernel version to turn on the testing kernel.

If the target is at '✓ as default', then 6.6 is already being built in the snapshots (armsr, mediatek, ... x86), so you can just use the pre-built images from the downloads site, or use Firmware Selector or whatever.

1 Like

Thanks, will try! I wonder how much larger kernel 6.6 based images will be compared to 6.1.
Going from kernel 5.15 (23.x) to 6.1 (snapshot) increased the size by 450 kB for ath79 units.

Yes I do. I think I'll stick with VSDL until the copper network in my street is switched off.
The ZyXEL is running fine on 23.05.3.

I know that, but I'm already using snapshots (kernel 6.1) and I'd like to have kernel 6.6 already - my understanding is that the next major OpenWrt version will come with 6.6, not 6.1, as @efahl stated above. 23.x is on the older kernel 5.15.

The latest fix for software flow offloading in firewall4 https://github.com/openwrt/firewall4/commit/e00958884416f59b273595f941d198de63acc1dd
has not been pulled into openwrt/main yet, but I do hope @jow will have it integrated soon, so we can use it in snapshots directly (kernel 6.1 or 6.6 in testing). Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, good question. Maybe run back-to-back builds with the testing kernel off and on, compare the resulting images? That should give you a pretty good approximation.

Ok, I can do that. Did rm .config and make defconfig which gives us ath79 for carambola2, so should be representative:

$ file bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin: u-boot legacy uImage, MIPS OpenWrt Linux-6.1.89, Linux/MIPS, OS Kernel Image (lzma), 2454716 bytes, Sat Jun  1 15:40:10 2024, Load Address: 0X80060000, Entry Point: 0X80060000, Header CRC: 0X35B567F, Data CRC: 0X4D25B9D

$ wc -c bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2*.bin
 5660312 bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-initramfs-kernel.bin
 6030129 bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
11690441 total

Added CONFIG_TESTING_KERNEL=y to .config.

$ file bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin: u-boot legacy uImage, MIPS OpenWrt Linux-6.6.32, Linux/MIPS, OS Kernel Image (lzma), 2537809 bytes, Sat Jun  1 15:40:10 2024, Load Address: 0X80060000, Entry Point: 0X80060000, Header CRC: 0X8C33B099, Data CRC: 0X5CA405E1

$ wc -c bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2*.bin
 5762344 bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-initramfs-kernel.bin
 6095665 bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-8dev_carambola2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
11858009 total

So, sysupgrade bin is 64k bigger, initramfs is 100k bigger...

3 Likes

Thanks for this, so kernel 6.6 is barely larger than 6.1, at least on target ath79.
For WR1043ND v3 I should expect a custom sysupgrade of 6554433 bytes, including LuCI, which should fit the 8 MB flash.

Successfully migrated by TP-link Archer C7 v5 yesterday. This is my first time using OWRT. Set my 5GHz band WPA3 and 2.4 GHz mixed WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE. Everything works besides 2 things:

• I keep seeing auth_alg=open in syslog after switching connection a few times on my phone from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz and back; it keeps happening onwards until router reboot or until I "forget" and re-add the connection profile on the phone. First (or first few) connection is alg=sae but then the rest are "open"
  • DHCP static assignments don't work

I can work around the DHCP, but does anybody else seeing that issue regarding auth? Is this intentional? Am I missing something?

You need AP-s with identical auth on both radios to roam well. You can have like dozen of them per radio, even WPA2 and WPA3 with same name and password on both.