OpenWrt 22.03.4 service release

Thats not an issue, just sysupgrade works differently than you expected: any custom applications (opkg or custom uploaded files) need to be reinstalled manually after a sysupgrade. Sysupgrade only preserves config files of certain defined OpenWRT config folders.

You could alternatively create a custom firmware file via „attended sysupgrade“, this will on top preserve any custom software packages that came from opkg sources.

Since you were responding to another post that was due to an UBI issue: note that the „UBI“ problem that is mentioned in this thread a couple of times without much context is a different story. It is related to a bug in the Linux kernels used in OpenWRT 21.02.6 and 22.03.4: a faulty UBI code patch had made it into those Linux kernels.
UBI is used as flash filesystem on some (not all) OpenWRT devices, the bug prevents some of these devices from properly booting.
Looks like another OpenWRT update is in discussion to solve that.

3 Likes

Is there an upshot, or at least an attempt at one, on the excessive logging for various Archer C7 models as mentioned above? After a week, I figure someone must have figured out something about it. I have a v2 that I'm holding off doing for now just in case.

1 Like

Many thanks. Is there any cheat sheet in creating this "attended sysupgrade" firmware file? Is it difficult? Reinstalling those dependencies and the openclash ipk is not too bad. I was surprised to see though the main setup within openclash itself seems to be still there, incl. the various subscriptions.

OpenWrt FW 22.03.4 update on a Swissonic Professional Router 2 MKII with internal Totolink X5000R board went smooth from the previous FW 22.03.3, thanks for this.

Nevertheless, may that is down to my own fault, but all the previous additional ports were not recognized after flashing to the new version and I had to reinstall all of them manually afterwards.
Luckily all my individual config files, were still present and usable right afterwards.

All these packages have been missing after the FW update:
luci-theme-openwrt
curl
wget-ssl
tcpdump
bridge
luci-proto-relay
adblock
luci-app-adblock
luci-i18n-adblock-en
smartDNS
luci-app-smartdns
luci-app-dcwapd
dcstad
dcwapd
wifischedule
luci-i18n-wifischedule-en
luci-app-ntpc
DNSmasq
kmod-ipvlan
kmod-macvlan
kmod-sched-act-vlan

As I say, this is may my own fault not being to familiar with updating my router, since this was my 1st time.
Would be nice to make it more clear how to take care about on how to include any installed ports right with the update, or at least mark this individual installed packages as due for update instead of ignoring them.
Apart from that I'm very happy with the new release, thanks a bunch. :wink:

Hello aparcar,

I have yet to see any official stance or communication about this, but we still do not have a announcement e-mail for this release yet. The openwrt-announce Archives still shows no activity since January.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-announce/

And it is now eight days since the release of 22.03.4.

Can this please be corrected sooner than later?

I would think that seeing as how there are eleven security vulnerabilities fixed that this would be a very important release for users to know about. Had I not causally checked the OpenWRT web site wondering if there had been an update, I would have missed this. Undoubtedly there are OpenWRT users who rely on the annoucement e-mail and do not know about this new release.

You are a bit off topic here, but I'll send you in the right direction. Most functions and features in OpenWRT have a documentation page, including what you are asking about. And yes, all that documentation can be overwhelming to look and sift through when you are just starting to use and learn OpenWRT. I recommend searching for only what you need in the moment to correct your issue. It keeps the overwhelm of information down.

The start documentation page has a search feature and field within it. Searching for the following string will bring it right up:

attended sysupgrade 

Another good way of finding what you need is to use a your favorite internet search engine and use the search string:

openwrt <topic of interest, or issue>

In this specific example, it would be:

openwrt attended sysupgrade

As user Pico said, this is normal and expected behavior from sysupgrade, though admittedly confusing for new users that don't expect this. Attenended sysupgrade will preserve all those user installed packages and dependencies. And yes, it is easy and saves a lot of time and effort. Though it won't help you until the next stable release. You'll have to manually install all the extra packages for this release since you already used sysupgrade.

I also recommend you keep a saved list of all the user installed packages you need in a text file with a space between each name. This will save you in this particular circumstance, and also if for some reason you need to make a fresh image install. The advantage being that you already know exactly what you need to install, and if you SSH into OpenWRT, you can quickly install multiple software packages with one command via the opkg command. Copying and pasting that list of user installed packages into the Terminal after the correct opkg command is very quick.

While I love using a good graphical user interface (GUI), LuCI does not have a way to install multiple software packages at once.

If you have further questions about this, please create a new support post in correct area of the forum.

2 Likes

Duplicate:

Maybe https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.4/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/marvell_a385-db-ap-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin would work for WRT3200ACM? It is the same processor model and target. Does anyone know?

It won't work.

2 Likes

Me too. Great software.

I only learned about the new release today as I got the announcement email today, 10 days later than it should've been.

This really should not happen, it's a security failure.

It's a security failure to rely only one one single source of information (in this case: the missing email).
There are multiple ways to get aware of a new OpenWrt release and get notified about it.
Visiting the OpenWrt forum more often helps to be up to date.

3 Likes

All theses packages were installed after the main installation. When performing an upgrade with an offical image, you will only get the default packages list. The best way is to make your own custom build with all the packages you need, than use it to upgrade. You can use the firmware selector for this.

1 Like

Maybe I'm too old school because usually email works great for other open source projects (and it's also the first channel mentioned on https://openwrt.org/contact#important_changes_and_announcements).

It seems OpenWrt really loves its forum, so I'll keep that in mind.

I now see that you can subscribe to the Release and security announcements subforum via the bell and "Watching First Post", so that seems to be a good solution.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your hint, yes for the next update I will take more care about this custom build option beforehand.

You are welcome.
If you upgraded while keeping the settings, than the setting for your extra packages are still here. You can add these packages now and they will work as before (reboot meanwhile). Better idea, create your custom build with these packages, and perform another upgrade. It'll only need a couple of minutes.

Cool, thanks a lot, sounds like that's the way I will follow next time.
All good :+1:

Wait, how did you do the upgrade? Did you use LuCI Attended Sysupgrade/cli auc, or just plain old sysupgrade with "keep config"? Sounds like the latter... I've been using auc on the command like for over a year now on a handful of different devices, and have been able to keep my installed packages, even when jumping between release and snapshots (and back -- I never jump too far, otherwise I'm sure I'd get bitten by things like fw3/fw4 diffs).

I did use LuCI standard release Sysupgrade from the downloaded openwrt-22.03.4-ramips-mt7621-totolink_x5000r-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin with keep config method to be sure, from the running system menu, under the impression that all of the individual made setup would remain like it would be with any other modern update made under any other OS available this days, be it M$, BSD, or Linux, which usually do nor require reinstalling any added software at all... well in most cases anyway :wink:

+1 I've seen this on 2 disparate devices (Archer c7 v2 and Turris Omnia). I'm tempted to drop the Candela drivers, but I've got enough other problems with my network at the moment.

Oh, that's interesting, because while several have mentioned the ath10k_pci mac flush vdev errors, I didn't see mention of a correspondence with "disassociated / deauthenticated" events in the syslog.

I wonder if the previous reporters are are also seeing that event pairing?

Also, it's interesting that the prior report was about a TP-Link c2600, and you also mentioned another non-Archer. I was thinking this was an Archer issue, but maybe not. Maybe they all have something in common, like a chipset.