OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc5 fifth release candidate

The answer stays the same: It basically depends on somebody volunteering to do any such work.

Did you try WPA3? Does it work?
My router is WRT1900ACS. WPA3 works for 21.02 but not for 22.03 RC1-5.

No idea what has been changed.

The rc5 x86_64 image builder runs into this issue building with the default profile options:

$ make info
Current Target: "x86/64"
Current Architecture: "x86_64"
Current Revision: "r19523-bfd070e7fa"
Default Packages: base-files ca-bundle dropbear fstools libc libgcc libustream-wolfssl logd mtd netifd opkg uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd busybox procd procd-ujail procd-seccomp partx-utils mkf2fs e2fsprogs kmod-button-hotplug dnsmasq firewall4 nftables kmod-nft-offload odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only ppp ppp-mod-pppoe
Available Profiles:

generic:
    Generic x86/64
    Packages: kmod-amazon-ena kmod-amd-xgbe kmod-bnx2 kmod-e1000e kmod-e1000 kmod-forcedeth kmod-fs-vfat kmod-igb kmod-igc kmod-ixgbe kmod-r8169 kmod-tg3
    hasImageMetadata: 0

$ make image PROFILE="generic"
Unknown package 'libustream-wolfssl'.
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e for libustream-wolfssl20201210
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for libustream-wolfssl found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libustream-wolfssl.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:169: package_install] Error 255

Builds OK:

$ make image PROFILE="generic" PACKAGES="-libustream-wolfssl"

Reported in:

I also have this with mt7621 and ipq40xx.

Trying out the image builder for 22.03.0-rc5 on a TI BeagleBone Black. I'm also seeing the same issue with libwolfssl 5.4 being unavailable. (My selection of packages means that I really do want/need tls support; so for me deselecting the package which pulled in wolfssl, and enabling an openssl alternative instead gets me past this problem.)

I noticed that a bunch of luci packages, which I'd expected would be included by default, were not selected automatically, and so I needed to manually add them to the build as well. Is this expected?

There is a PR in progress to do this for ath79 (PR 4622), but performance issues preclude the transition to date. Same with ipq806x (PR 4036) targets. Moving ipq40xx (PR4721) to DSA looks a bit further along, but not far enough along for 22.03.

1 Like

WPA3 is unsupported by mwlwifi last I checked so let us know how you got it working. I've long used WPA2 for my WRT32X for that reason.

1 Like

Yes, I've used WPA3/WPA2 mixed in the past with some specific device success for WRT1900ACSv2, but ultimately went back to WPA2 for more consistent 5Ghz performance.

I haven't even been able to build an image...

Perhaps related to this?

1 Like

WPA3 and WPA3/WPA2 mixed work for WRT1900ACS for OpenWRT 21.02. I did not do anything extra.

But I can't get it working for OpenWRT 22.03 RC1-5.

Interesting, WPA3 has been thought to not work for quite some time on mvebu due to mwlwifi, as described on the wiki: [https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#wpa380211w_may_hang_kernel] although info is maybe out of date. I only ever enabled WPA2 on this for that reason. I'll run some tests of my own, if it does work I'll update the wiki accordingly.

Hello, I am trying to build an image for Askey RT4230W using the rc5 image builder (ipq806x target), but the image builder shows the following errors (in a nutshell, I can't include wpad-wolfssl and curl due to architecture mismatch issues). Thank you!

Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e for libcurl4
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for libcurl4 found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for curl:
 *      libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package curl.
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e for wpad-wolfssl
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for wpad-wolfssl found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wpad-wolfssl.
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e for libustream-wolfssl20201210
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for libustream-wolfssl found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libustream-wolfssl.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:169: package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [Makefile:124: _call_image] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:242: image] Error 2

For WPA3, did you try disable "802.11w Management Frame Protection"? I found this was needed when using some Intel Centrino cards in Client mode with WPA3-SAE.

It seems that there has been a regression in wolfssl generally which is impacting its availability in the package repositories.

For the time being, there are substitutes:

• wget may be acceptable instead of curl
  • wpad-openssl should be a complete stand-in for wpad-wolfssl
  • libustream-openssl should be a complete stand-in libustream-wolfssl
2 Likes

No, I didn't

Can you try set "802.11w Management Frame Protection" to "Disabled" and test if that works?

Everything works fine so far (9 days), looking forward to the release :slight_smile:

Installed on Archer c2600 as dumb access point incl

• VLANs (ethernet and wifi)
    (- using igmp-proxy on the main router 21.02.3 x86-ext4 virtualized in proxmox as linux container)
  • and the following parameters for imagebuilder
    make image PROFILE="tplink_c2600" PACKAGES="-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables -odhcpd-ipv6only luci irqbalance -ath10k-firmware-qca99x0-ct ath10k-firmware-qca99x0-ct-htt nano" DISABLED_SERVICES="dnsmasq firewall"

Many thanks !

cheers blinton

When I set it to "Disabled", all devices couldn't connect to WIFI for version 21.02. When I set it to "Optional" or "Required". All devices has no issue to connect.

For version 22.03, none of the three options work.

1 Like

I think 802.11w is mandatory for WPA3.

WPA3, with 802.11w disabled, is not a supported configuration.

1 Like