OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc1 first release candidate

Firewall include rules (to run a script during firewall start or reload) such as /etc/firewall.user don't run anymore. What's the recommended replacement? I don't see anything about this in the RC1 release notes wiki page.

The two new targets (bmips and qoriq) do not appear to be available at the downloads link. Are the target names correct?

Both targets are explicity marked as source-only, which skips them from being auto-built. In case of qoriq this is intentional (new target, only a single expensive device being supported (WatchGuard Firebox M300, support for the M200 is still under development), at this point it didn't make sense to its main developer to burden the buildbots with a target like this), I'm not that closely following bmips, but would expect similar considerations.

2 Likes

Here is a Table of Hardware view that filters for ax support on the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges.

I myself bought the TP-Link EAP615-Wall, though I was replacing a wallplate AP to begin with.

Similarly, I was also looking for WiFi 6 on 2.4GHz.

5 Likes

I have the M200 and may have additional PowerPC QorIQ devices. I'll look into the source.

Qosify by @nbd is another major feature available in 22.03 rc1 worth mentioning.

6 Likes

Since I can't see any mentions, were the fixes that are supposed to address software/hardware flow offloading implemented?

Thanks

2 Likes

Congrats on the move to nftables, I know that had to be quite an effort between code, UI/UX, and documentation.

4 Likes

Does v22 still have the "cool" undocumented feature that many see on v21 with some ISPs where--unlike with versions before v21--every time they reboot the router (or even execute certain innocent ifup commands) they inexplicably get a new WAN IP? It's a lot of fun to be sure, but I'd be willing to forgo it.

Sysupgrade from 21.02.3 to 22.03.0-rc1, keeping configs, on an Archer C7 v2.

No internet connection, wired or wireless

No indication in the logs why.

There were no entries in the LuCI nftables section.

Rolled back to 21.02.3

1 Like

That sounds to me like the WAN-interface's MAC-address changes. Have you reported the bug? Have you checked, if the MAC-address changes?

It's been going on through several versions.

My experience -

It happens on a reboot or an ifup wan.

MAC address doesn't change...the WAN IP and Gateway IP do.

For me, it's not an issue.

But if the WAN IP and gateway don't change on an older version, there really shouldn't be anything other than the MAC-address changing that can cause that.

Oh well, if it's a long-known issue, I guess I'll drop the discussion here.

@rseiler could probably tell you when it first started.

Custom nftables rules should be staged in /etc/nftables.d/. Support for firewall.user is intentionally absent as existing scripts most likely expect iptables and fw3 style chains and wouldn't work with fw4 based nft rulesets.

There currently is no replacement for script includes, but fw4 will likely gain back support for config include sections with rc2.

6 Likes

dnsmasq crashes on my Netgear r6700 v2 after 22.03.0-rc1. I also upgraded my TPLink Archer A7 v5 which worked successfully.

r 25 04:08:43 2022 daemon.crit dnsmasq[1]: cannot open log /var/log/dnsmasq.log: No such file or directory
Mon Apr 25 04:08:43 2022 daemon.crit dnsmasq[1]: FAILED to start up
Mon Apr 25 04:08:43 2022 daemon.info procd: Instance dnsmasq::cfg01411c s in a crash loop 15 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash
Mon Apr 25 04:08:46 2022 daemon.crit dnsmasq[1]: cannot open log /var/log/dnsmasq.log: No such file or directory
Mon Apr 25 04:08:46 2022 daemon.crit dnsmasq[1]: FAILED to start up
Mon Apr 25 04:08:46 2022 daemon.info procd: Instance dnsmasq::cfg01411c s in a crash loop 16 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash

@iointerrupt - please PM your /etc/config/dhcp and /etc/dnsmasq.conf contents. You likely enabled non-standard logging settings which are not handled by ujail

1 Like

hi how to sysupgrade snapshot to 22.03.0-rc1 with auc or sysupgrade please for belkin rt3200 thanks

Are you using adblock or other custom server/address settings with dnsmasq? Perhaps you're tripping on this problem:

22.03.0-rc1 has dnsmasq based on 2.86 which might have this bug unless it's patched locally.

Just FYI there has been a PR open by @clayface to try to address the dnsmasq log-facility issue with ujail.