OpenWrt 22.03.0 first stable release

Hi there. Congrats on the release! :boom:

What is the recommended approach if I have a device running on 19.07.10 that did not have support for the 21.x.x release, but does have support for the 22.03.0 release?

This is the Comfast CF-E375AC. It seems that the migration to ath79 was completed after the v21 series was released.

Asking because of the notice to not run sysupgrade from 19.07.10 to 22.03.0.

I'm experiencing the problem that "dnsmasq" does not start properly here. According to logread, it starts, output several info lines to the log indicating it should work properly.

I did a "netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN | grep ":53"" and dnsmasq was NOT listening to any interface. It does not matter if I specify LISTEN interfaces in /etc/config/dhcp or if I leave the default to LISTEN to all interfaces.

Manual workaround 1: Use the Web UI / DHCP and DNS and do not change anything , just save&apply the existing config. dnsmasq immediately starts to LISTEN on port #53.

Manual workaround 2: /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Automatic workaround: 3: Add those lines to "/etc/rc.local"

# 22.03.0: Fix dnsmasq not listening
/bin/netstat -tulpn | grep "LISTEN" | grep -q ":53" || /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Here is my /etc/config/dhcp:

config dnsmasq
	option domainneeded '1'
	option localise_queries '1'
	option rebind_protection '1'
	option rebind_localhost '1'
	option local '/lan/'
	option expandhosts '1'
	option readethers '1'
	option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
	option localservice '1'
	option domain 'home.local'
	option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.d/resolv.conf.auto'
	list interface 'lo'
(...)

It does not work with this config, no matter if I have the line "list interface 'lo'" in it or not. The exact same config worked fine on OpenWrt 21.02.3. It no longer works on OpenWrt 22.03.0.

Do you have another DHCPd running in your network? dnsmasq checks that before starting up (or refuses to start).

Excuse me, but what are those issues?
I have UPNP perfectly working, with Luci as well showing redirections. The only think I had to do (because I did a clean upnp install) was to set the "Presentation URL" as the IP of the router (I don't use the default 192.168.1.1).

miniupnp-nftables is of course the one installed.

It would be really valuable to open a github issue reporting this to raise awareness with devs.

later I check, but I also have issue with dnsmasq, sometimes goes in a crash loop, without any message on log...

At the moment back to 21.03.2

22.03 have this bug and also bug on flow control... need to be disabled Linksys WRT1900AC v2 Slow Upload speed on 22.03.0 stable - #4 by pesa1234

1 Like

I'm not sure that's the actual problem.

Generally, DNS-over-https breaks time sync, because the former requires reasonably accurate time to work and it becomes a chicken-and-egg problem.

If you don't have a RTC and aren't doing anything to manually correct the time on startup, problems will occur (but generally not associated with DHCP).

1 Like

There's a known crash bug in dnsmasq if you are using custom dnsmasq entries to modify returned responses on the fly (e.g. disabling IPv6 responses for certain domains, etc.)

It is an upstream bug that will require either upgrade to a newer dnsmasq within OpenWRT (when one becomes available) or a developer will need to backport the specific upstream patch that addresses this issue (which has not occurred).

It's mentioned on the release tracker but not the release notes for 22.03.

Correct. Don't force the router to use DNS-over-HTTPS or DNS-over-TLS. Only force your network clients.
The router needs DNS to work on boot so the time and date can be set, otherwise the DNS secure transport fails due to the router's time and date being outside the certificate's validity dates.

4 Likes

Many thanks. I wish I had known this before all my efforts. In fact I could have set up time manually. Anyway, I never use Dns over https any more.
Again thank you.

Now, a flashed my Archer C7 V2, so far so good .., but WAN LED is still missing.

2 Likes

That's great to hear. I'd like to update my Archer C7 V2 as well.

Aside from the LED, does all functionality appear to work?

1 Like

̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶H̶u̶r̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶E̶l̶e̶c̶t̶r̶i̶c̶ ̶t̶u̶n̶n̶e̶l̶ ̶(̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶2̶1̶.̶0̶2̶.̶3̶,̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶g̶)̶.̶ ̶D̶i̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶?̶
̶
̶I̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶u̶l̶a̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶s̶:̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶I̶P̶V̶6̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶-̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶(̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶i̶p̶v̶6̶ ̶g̶a̶t̶e̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶)̶.̶

The bug was on my side: I have a backup router with a mirror configuration that now I am just using as an AP; while I disabled dnsmasq, I did not disable odhcpd and therefore it was messing with the ipv6 routes. My fault, sorry for the notification.

Thanks finally for a functional Upnp in the Luci interface as well

1 Like

I doubt anybody here cares whether you use OpenWrt or not. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In their defense (looking at it constructively) the E8450/RT3200 wiki needs work it's sort of a mess. I know it's a new target, but hope the community involved in that target overhauls the Installation section on the standard vs UBI situation. For example here: [https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e8450#installation] Glad my main target wrt32x is dual boot :slight_smile: it got me out of trouble a few times very easily.

I removed all my previous iptables firewall.user entries, and created firewall redirects prior to moving over to 22.03.0, knowing fw4 was just around the corner.

Happy to report sysupgrade of TP-Link c2600 from 21.02.3 => 22.03.0 (keeping settings) OK.

A few of my custom scripts broke, so had to make some minor tweaks for 22.03.0. They previously worked OK on versions 21.02.3 & prior.

So far OpenWrt is behaving itself nicely! Great job :scream_cat: to all involved!

2 Likes

TP-Link Archer C20 V4 5GHz wifi has no internet access it was working in rc4 but stopped working.

I just upgraded my Netgear R7800 with this release, and it went smoothly. No issues so far, nice work.

I have updated from the RC6 to the final release and everything is working fine in the clients side, but not for the router itself. I can not update packages, ping or traceroute. I am using custom DNS (Http-Over-DNS) but it was working fine up to RC6. Is there anything else I am missing?
Device: Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800

1 Like