OpenWrt 22.03.0 first stable release

Anyone with success on Cudy WR1300?
Else I wait for 22.03.1 :smiley:

Does this release include new ethernet activity icons which @jow created?

Thanks for the update, But it seem this update had some bug for my newifi d2, When I'm select manual channel 48 in 5ghz luci setting after save it's not set to channel 48 indeed proceed to channel 44.
Any idea?

still missing WIFI driver in FriendlyARM Nanopi R1S H5 release.

Thanks to Realtek wireless, that's not very likely to change either.

Hey everyone.

Since upgrading from latest 21.02 release to 22.03, I'm seeing a 1.5-4x increase in CPU-load across all my devices (router, wifi APs, wifi bridge/repeater) while device and network is otherwise "idle".

I can tell this is consistent since I'm monitoring my nodes and have full grafana history for typical load-curves.

Unit Before After Factor
TPLink Archer C7 3% 9% 3x
TPLink Archer C7 1.2% 4.8% 4x
TPLink Archer C7 1.2% 3.6% 3x
LinkSys WRT1900 ACS 0.5% 1.0% 2x
Netgear EX6150 1.75% 2.5% 1.5x

So everything from a 1.5x increase in idle load to almost 3-4x. That's quite a dramatic change!

Is this to be expected? Is this a side-effect over all services now being run through ujail?

Or have people simply not noticed, since they aren't graphing/monitoring their units like I do?

Edit: Created own forum-post for this here: Increased CPU-load (3-4x) since upgrading to OpenWRT 22.03

1 Like

Missing package: crowdsec-firewall-bouncer

After upgrading I miss the crowdsec-firewall-bouncer package. It is in the packages sources but no package is avaliable for install (on WRT3200ACM).

Whom do I need to contact?

Is the WAN LED of the Archer C7 available again with the new release?

I upgraded by BT HomeHub 5A (Lantiq xrx200) from 21.02 to 22.03, carefully recording and reproducing all settings. It works OK but the performance has been hammered. Upload WLAN (iperf3) is as expected at 160mbps but download is below 30mbps (previously >120mbps). Routing to broadband (80mbps PPPoE) used to give an iperf3 of > 76mbps but maxes out at below 60mbps now. The VDSL link comes up at 79.999 as before so it is the router that has lost performance. I have tried with software-offload (the previous setting) and without but it is not possible to get anywhere near the performance with 22.03 so, sadly, I have reverted this router to 21.02 for now. SamKnows graph shows what I mean!

I admit I haven't tested my units under "heavy" load, but I see a 3-4x increase in idle-load after upgrading to 22.03, across all my OpenWRT devices. See post above.

If this increase in CPU usage also affects regular load, it could perhaps be the cause of lower overall throughput capacity? I don't know, but at least it sounds plausible.

Unless you have HW NAT-offloading, having too high CPU-load will impact your ability to operate the internet at full speeds.

I'm runnning in an environment with VPN-Policy-Routing on Openwrt 21.02.3 with WAN and several Wireguard lines.

The VPN-Policy-Routing package is using iptables and Openwrt 22.03.0 version nftables.

Looks like the VPN-Policy-Routing is not able to run on the new Openwrt release.

Pls advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I have the same usage, and I am waiting for this to be fixed before upgrading.

it is stated in the release notes:

Some community packages that add firewall rules might not work for now, and will need to be adapted to fw4: this will happen gradually throughout the lifetime of the 22.03 release series.

so unfortunately if you want to use that particular package now you have to wait, or rollback.

Hi dear friend
In my Archer C7 V4 there are two WAN led options: green:wan; orange:wan
Regards

1 Like

I decided to install 22.03 for sixth time on my Archer C7 V4.
This time I installed every package EXCEPT DNS OVER HTTPS.
Then I added all capabilities such as guest wifi for both bands, adsl setup for wan, dual access to the bridged modem, and wireless wan.
I tested all of them and they are working properly. Then I intentionally powered of the router and on after a few minutes. The problem has been solved. The router can now assign IP and DHCP server is working properly.
Finally I changed all devices from static to dynamic IP. Every thing is fine.

Conclusion:
the package DNS over https is sensitive to sudden power loss. after the restart DHCP won't work when this package is installed or even removed. It should not be installed at all.

Thank you.

I've made a custom build of the 22.03.0 branch for my BT Hub 5As with many packages removed to workaround the BT hub boot loop issue, as I did with previous release candidates. I've built it so the "vermagic" matches so the official package feeds work and installed the omitted packages with opkg and I've rebooted it quite a lot of times and so far it boots successfully in about 60 seconds each time.

The build is missing lots of packages so needs a working internet connection to install the needed packages after flashing.

Here's my diffconfig for the build:-

CONFIG_TARGET_lantiq=y
CONFIG_TARGET_lantiq_xrx200=y
CONFIG_TARGET_lantiq_xrx200_DEVICE_bt_homehub-v5a=y
CONFIG_ALL_KMODS=y
CONFIG_ALL_NONSHARED=y
CONFIG_DEVEL=y
CONFIG_AUTOREMOVE=y
CONFIG_BPF_TOOLCHAIN_BUILD_LLVM=y
# CONFIG_BPF_TOOLCHAIN_NONE is not set
CONFIG_BUILDBOT=y
CONFIG_COLLECT_KERNEL_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_HAS_BPF_TOOLCHAIN=y
CONFIG_IMAGEOPT=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_BUILD_DOMAIN="buildhost"
CONFIG_KERNEL_BUILD_USER="builder"
# CONFIG_KERNEL_KALLSYMS is not set
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-board-qca988x=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_fritz-caldata=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_fritz-tffs=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_fritz-tffs-nand=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_hostapd-common=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_iw=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_iwinfo=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k-ct=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath9k=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath9k-common=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-cfg80211=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-ccm=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-cmac=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-ctr=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-gcm=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-gf128=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-ghash=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-hmac=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-rng=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-seqiv=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-sha256=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-hwmon-core=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-mac80211=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-nls-base=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-owl-loader=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-usb-core=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-usb-dwc2=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-usb-roles=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libbpf=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libelf=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libiwinfo=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libiwinfo-data=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_qosify=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_tc-full=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_tc-mod-iptables=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_wireless-regdb=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_wpad-basic-wolfssl=m
CONFIG_REPRODUCIBLE_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_USE_LLVM_BUILD=y
CONFIG_VERSIONOPT=y
CONFIG_VERSION_BUG_URL=""
CONFIG_VERSION_CODE=""
CONFIG_VERSION_CODE_FILENAMES=y
CONFIG_VERSION_DIST="OpenWrt"
CONFIG_VERSION_FILENAMES=y
CONFIG_VERSION_HOME_URL=""
CONFIG_VERSION_HWREV=""
CONFIG_VERSION_MANUFACTURER=""
CONFIG_VERSION_MANUFACTURER_URL=""
CONFIG_VERSION_NUMBER=""
CONFIG_VERSION_PRODUCT=""
CONFIG_VERSION_REPO="https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0"
CONFIG_VERSION_SUPPORT_URL=""
# CONFIG_IB is not set
# CONFIG_MAKE_TOOLCHAIN is not set
# CONFIG_SDK is not set
# CONFIG_SDK_LLVM_BPF is not set

I tried building an image using the firmware selector with a list of files from the manifest, However, I've NOT tested it because I don't have a router with serial soldered on to recover it in the likely event that something is missing or wrong and the router gets bricked

I'm not sure if that would result in the same image or not? I can post the list of packages from the manifest, if anyone with a serial connection able to recover it wants to risk a try.

Here's the stuff I installed with opkg:-

opkg update

opkg install ath10k-board-qca988x
opkg install ath10k-firmware-qca988x

opkg install hostapd-common
opkg install iw
opkg install iwinfo
opkg install kmod-ath
opkg install kmod-ath10k
opkg install kmod-ath9k
opkg install kmod-ath9k-common

opkg install kmod-cfg80211
opkg install kmod-crypto-ccm
opkg install kmod-crypto-cmac
opkg install kmod-crypto-ctr
opkg install kmod-crypto-gcm
opkg install kmod-crypto-gf128
opkg install kmod-crypto-ghash
opkg install kmod-crypto-hmac
opkg install kmod-crypto-rng
opkg install kmod-crypto-seqiv
opkg install kmod-crypto-sha256
opkg install kmod-hwmon-core
opkg install kmod-lib-crc16
opkg install kmod-mac80211
opkg install kmod-nls-base
opkg install kmod-owl-loader
opkg install kmod-usb-core
opkg install kmod-usb-dwc2
opkg install kmod-usb-roles

opkg install wireless-regdb
opkg install wpad-wolfssl
opkg install luci
opkg install luci-app-ddns
opkg install luci-lib-ipkg
opkg install ddns-scripts
opkg install ddns-scripts-services

#opkg install batctl-full
#opkg install kmod-batman-adv
#opkg install mesh11sd```

Just install this release and i saw that custom rules tab (firewall.user) is gone in luci. I had some ebtables rules in it. Where should i put these rules now ?

Hi there. Congrats on the release! :boom:

What is the recommended approach if I have a device running on 19.07.10 that did not have support for the 21.x.x release, but does have support for the 22.03.0 release?

This is the Comfast CF-E375AC. It seems that the migration to ath79 was completed after the v21 series was released.

Asking because of the notice to not run sysupgrade from 19.07.10 to 22.03.0.

I'm experiencing the problem that "dnsmasq" does not start properly here. According to logread, it starts, output several info lines to the log indicating it should work properly.

I did a "netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN | grep ":53"" and dnsmasq was NOT listening to any interface. It does not matter if I specify LISTEN interfaces in /etc/config/dhcp or if I leave the default to LISTEN to all interfaces.

Manual workaround 1: Use the Web UI / DHCP and DNS and do not change anything , just save&apply the existing config. dnsmasq immediately starts to LISTEN on port #53.

Manual workaround 2: /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Automatic workaround: 3: Add those lines to "/etc/rc.local"

# 22.03.0: Fix dnsmasq not listening
/bin/netstat -tulpn | grep "LISTEN" | grep -q ":53" || /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Here is my /etc/config/dhcp:

config dnsmasq
	option domainneeded '1'
	option localise_queries '1'
	option rebind_protection '1'
	option rebind_localhost '1'
	option local '/lan/'
	option expandhosts '1'
	option readethers '1'
	option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
	option localservice '1'
	option domain 'home.local'
	option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.d/resolv.conf.auto'
	list interface 'lo'
(...)

It does not work with this config, no matter if I have the line "list interface 'lo'" in it or not. The exact same config worked fine on OpenWrt 21.02.3. It no longer works on OpenWrt 22.03.0.

Do you have another DHCPd running in your network? dnsmasq checks that before starting up (or refuses to start).