OpenWrt 22.03.0 first stable release

Hi, and thanks to everyone for adding bits of information.

TL:DR: I'll be reverting to 19.07 - 5Ghz is broken.

What I've found so far:

• AFAICT the QCA988x is fine, at least at the PCI level - but both CT and regular drivers fail to load properly.
  • the problem is NBG6716 specific, not with QCA988x in general - other devices with the QCA988x are working fine with 22.03
  • the problem is older than 22.03 - I've not verified this myself but I found a similar report of 21.02 failing similarly (and reverting to 19.07 to get it working again).

My best guess would be the bug was introduced transitioning from ar71xx to ath79... but that's way out of my league to figure out, let alone fix.

SInce the bug was introduced so long ago, and wasn't picked up, I don't expect a fix to magically appear anytime soon.
Back to 19.07 it is.

anyway, thanks for the support, openwrt has a great community!
and my other devices are happily chugging along on 22.03.

Did you try kmod-ath10k-smallbuffers or kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers in 22.03.0 ?

Used imagebuilder to build a custom image and upgrade my TP-LINK TD-W8970 from 21.02.3.

By the way, I got the msg Image version mismatch. image 1.1 device 1.0 Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed as expected (OpenWrt 22.03.0 first stable release): deselected Keep settings... and selected Force upgrade to complete the process with success.

Thanks a lot to you and all the OpenWrt developers.

I hadn't, the nbg6716 has (relatively speaking) a generous amount of RAM.
but now I did, and the result is the same on 22.03:

WMI event not received, couldn't init core.

thanks for thinking along though.

Thanks for the new great major release !

The only thing I observed is that it has issues with starting up correctly the Wireguard Servers (compared to 21.02.3 where it works) with x86 (64 bit ext4) and ipq8064 (Archer c2600), both made with image builder (which usually works perfectly). In 22.03.0 I need to manually restart the corresponding interfaces for wireguard servers (wireguard client works, which is strange while wireguard servers do not work oob).

Many thanks !

Cheers blinton.

1 Like

As a last-ditch attempt I googled my own fix for the 17... series.
the forum won't let me post the same thing twice so here's the fix.
It's essentially a regression of a regression ...

1 Like

Sorry in advance its been so long since my original flash/config install so I am very rusty.

So I have seen the caveat at the top re Upgrading to 22.03.0 ( * There is no migration path for targets that switched from swconfig to DSA. In that case, sysupgrade will refuse to proceed with an appropriate error message:
Image version mismatch. image 1.1 device 1.0 Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed)

This can be seen in the screenshot I have attached.

What are the actual implications of this? - Does it restore everything to factory install - all bridges/settings/internet config need to be reconfigured? Backups cant restore?
Sorry, like I said it has been so long since I configured. I worry I have forgotten how to do it all/miss something, so need to make sure I refresh myself fully before committing if that is the case.

Current firmware:
|Hostname|OpenWrt|
|Model|BT Home Hub 5A|
|Architecture|xRX200 rev 1.2|
|Target Platform|lantiq/xrx200|
|Firmware Version|OpenWrt 21.02.3 r16554-1d4dea6d4f / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-22.083.69138-0a0ce2a|

Hi.
Your target (lantiq) has migrated from swconfig to DSA with 22.03. Hence you can't upgrade while keeping the settings. This issue is well documented for other targets that migrated earlier (mt7621 with 21.02 for example). If you force the upgrade while keeping the settings, they will be false for the newer version, and your device will more likely not responding or worse.

OK perfect, thank you very much for the reply and clarification. So essentially if/when I upgraded I will get a clean install and all configs need to be re done?

Yes.
Meanwhile backup your actual config, you can reuse it in another way. In order to gain time, you can copy and paste some data from the old config to the new one, such as MAC addresses, IPs.

2 Likes

You can also just remove /etc/config/network and /etc/config/system and keep the rest of the config (force upgrade).

2 Likes

badulesia & wrter

Thank you both for your replies and tips, both great suggestions and make the process seem a lot less daunting!! Much appreciated!

Fingers crossed, job for the weekend i'm thinking!

How to rename dsa ports wan lan1 lan2 lan3 into old naming eth0, eth1 eth2 eth3, etc?
Thanks

You don't.

--
device names are set via the dts, so while they can be renamed in multiple places at the source level, semantics remain completely different between swconfig and dsa.

I was thinking about writing something like this, but I wasn't sure, especially for the wifi config and the link to the lan-bridge. I'm kinda rusty on manual config.

I've done this three times already.

1 Like

Custom build is coming without luci...

works fine for me, though im using the non-international firmware (using a chinese 4a 100M router).

Dark mode!!!!!!! :heart_eyes:

C7v2 mesh running rock solid (5Ghz WPA3). No AP's to slow it down. 200Mbps max UDP on iperf3.

Thank-you so much.

What's the safest way to upgrade from 22.03 rc4 to 22.03.0 and get it to work, on Linksys E8450?

I've tried upgrading 3 times, and all ended up in failure.
I'm currently using iptables, and I have miniupnp, watchcat, ddns, dnscrypt-proxy and sqm installed.
After upgrading, miniupnp doesn't work, and I can't ping from my computer connected to the router.