Openwrt 21 - router as access point

FWIW, I disable private wifi addresses on my home SSIDs because of the headaches it caused me with DNS/DHCP. (another story for another day)

1 Like

I'd be interested - could it explain our weird issue with iPhones?

In my case, I have that private address setting disabled on all my family's Apple devices, including the ones that have experienced the disconnect issue in the past. So from my perspective I would have to say that's not the smoking gun.

But that said, I have not had the issue reoccur on more recent snapshot builds. Perhaps "the bug" is now squashed.

1 Like

Makes sense since an earlier 22.03 snapshot didn't give me the issue.

Can I go over to main from 22.03 using 'auc'?

1 Like

I am contemplating the same, I currently use stable DHCP leases per MAC to be able to predict the IPv4 address of each device, and private WiFi-addresses throw a spanner into the works in that
I regularly need to update the mappings.

But so far I am not 100% convinced that I really want to disable this for truly mobile devices....

1 Like

It is also a pain for me on my setup because I have set up VPN (ISP traffic management and Chinese modem) and CleanBrowsing family filter (because it does a great job at filtering out vile content) as the default but televisions and iPad bypass VPN and use CleanBrowsing to allow Netflix, Prime and YouTube adult videos. But my routing to bypass VPN and hijacking to deal with DNS are based on IP and MAC address, and IP is also itself based on MAC address. Perhaps there's another way to deal with this.

For now I turned it off for our iPad, but it has a habit of turning itself back on.