OpenWrt 21.02.2 drivers

ls /lib/firmware

root@OpenWrt:~# ls /lib/firmware
bnx2 regulatory.db rtl_nic

In that folder the following file should exist... iwlwifi-100-5.ucode but its not there... Again install the firmware opkg install ...or copy it by hand from kali linux /lib/firmware or download it with wget to the router directly:

cd /lib/firmware
wget https://github.com/OpenELEC/iwlwifi-firmware/raw/master/firmware/iwlwifi-100-5.ucode

Reboot machine and continue.

1 Like

Ifconfig -a wlan0 appeared!

Success!!!

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwlist wlan0 scan #if it fails #opkg install wireless-tools
root@OpenWrt:~# iwlist wlan0 scan                                                                                       wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down                                                                                                                                                                                  root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install wireless-tools                                                                             Package wireless-tools (29-6) installed in root is up to date.                                                          root@OpenWrt:~# iwlist wlan0 scan                                                                                       wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

ifconfig wlan0 up

1 Like

Neworks found :slight_smile:
You told i should not use Luci interface.
Next step is coonect from ssh?

Next step is coonect from ssh?

Actually your are right however doing CLI wpasupplicant is 15years ago for me. So try luci first.

Nice you see wifi interface scanning nearby SSID's. From here you may try the luci webinterface and see if you can wlan0 get it to connect as a client to a other network and put the wifi also in the WAN subnet.

Remember your wired LAN is also in that same subnet WAN subnet, so better to make that a stock/default OpenWrt LAN with DHCP server 192.168.1.1 and make wifi WAN only. In your situation also break/disable the bridge in your Windows laptop and let its ethernet get IP from your OpenWrt netbook router.

However I'm still not sure if all wifi mac80211 wpasupplicant hostap/wpad managment tools are in place. But you can always try.

So first try to make a connection with wifi through luci and if it works start all over with the imagebuilder and include following packages by default in new image "Rinse Repeat,Rinse Repeat... for other adapters modules/drivers/firmware":

kmod-sky2 kmod-iwlwifi iwlwifi-firmware-iwl100 wireless-tools pciutils usbutils 
1 Like

Ok reverted with nano /etc/config/network to lan again and restored ip settings to stock.
connected to my phone wifi, deleted the bridge connection on pc.
Internet working!
Now wil try the second adapter with the same method

Good that things are working out for you, and great idea you used to check with your phones Wifi tether which probably uses a different subnet than your nearby Wifi. It seems luci webinterface made the wireless client-mode connection successfull.

In the end you will have an idea which packages will need to fit in the imagebuilder recipe to make all connections out of the box after flash.

1 Like

So much thanks for your help!
I dont think i would get any success with that alone.
You think it is useful to reassemble and reinstall the system after all needed packadges are found?

Yep, not only for learning purpose but also in case if USB stick filesystem crash/damage/loss you should have an image available that works almost out of the box.

I would continue even adding the USB tether for android/ios packages in the systembuilder image as well but first try to make them work. In the beginning it seems a lot of work but it will really payoff.

Ok
building new image right now. Problem with the rtl8812au stayed, can scan but cannot connect. Maybe that driver is bad, as I understood from this thread: rtl8812AU and/or rtl8814AU drivers - #204 by samtales

The Atheros ath9k PCIe wifi card that was standard equipment in the N145 has good OpenWrt compatibility, including the ability to run as a client and an AP at the same time.

To USB tether an Android phone, you should just need to install kmod-usb-net-rndis, which will bring in a few other kmods as dependencies. When the phone is connected and enabled, a new interface called usb0 should appear, which can be attached to a WAN network as DHCP client.

Hi
I wanted to use rtl8812 as a client because of 2,4 and 5 ghz ac and also better range. But stuck with the problem mentioned above. Thaks for the advise about usb tether, I would install it anyway, incase of wifi fail or something like that. when i get that wifi going next questions would be about failover options. Maybe even torrent or file storage on internal hard drive, but all that later... :slight_smile:
P.S. kmod-usb-net-rndis also works with 3g/4g modems or it is only for android phones?

that config did not worked could not connect because wpa supplicant error, it does no go with dependecies to any of packadges

kmod-sky2 kmod-iwlwifi iwlwifi-firmware-iwl100 wireless-tools pciutils usbutils wpad nano kmod-usb-net-rndis

added found in your previous posts wpad and wpa-supplicant, won't compile, deleted wpa-supplicant because if I understood correctly the wpad has more features. Am I correct? also added nano and rndis :slight_smile:
Usb tether works! :grin:

It was indeed something that its either wpasupplicant(client only) + hostap(ap-mode) or only wpad(client & ap) not mixed, I should also install all the tether packages including IOS you'll never know if you may need it...

Nice that USB tether also works, as I understand you are only left with a USB-wifi dongle that is not perfect?

Did you try 2,4 or 5GHz with usb dongle, it might be that only a certain wifi channel or WPA-PSK type is working. On some bad drivers only WEP or no encryption at all works...

Maybe only client-mode is stable on USB wifi and than try AP-mode on your intel wifi? You may try iw list and see if the intel card supports AP-mode "Supported interface modes"

BTW what is the exact brand, usb device-id of the dongle(s) rtl8812au or rtl8188su?

I have them both really (rtl8812au or rtl8188su), but i want to use rtl8812au. (Also I did not find driver for 8188su model, different types of letters for 8188 present but not su) On kali with aircrack driver it worked. rtl8812au tried with encrypted, no encription, master mode, result is the same, interface disabled, blue indicator is off.
Hostap was installed by imagebuilder itself, i did not added it, i added only wpad. (Do they can interfere to each other?) Is wpad better than wpa-supplicant?
Yes and I realized that I wont get any succes without that 8812 dongle, because desired wifi ap signal is too low for integrated intel antennas. rtl8812 picked it and worked with that ap when connected to kali or windows.
Intention to use intel as ap was from the beggining, but really thats not important for me right now, because main internet user is stationary pc and it wired to openwrt netbook without problems. So i will deal with it later :slight_smile:
I dont think i would ever need ios :rofl:

hostapd-common is just the script that sets up wireless-- whether it is running hostapd, wpad or wpa-supplicant, hostapd-common is a dependency. It is one file, about a 10 kB shell script.

Installing the fullest version of the hostapd/wpa-supplicant binary, which is wpad with a SSL library, gives all possible wireless functionality. They also require the most memory, which is why cut down versions exist. But this machine has 1 GB of RAM, memory isn't an issue.